The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
St. Tudno Hotel(Llandudno)
Hen-Dy(Llandudno)
Wildings Hotel(Llandudno)
1,956 results
All reviewsnational holidaysbit datedplenty of choicea sea view roomshort breakpierstansingerprom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

My Wife and i stayed there in October for Two nights, we stayed in one of the premier rooms overlooking the sea and with great views of the Pier and promenade . the place was mainly full of older persons and so the entertainment was primarily aimed at them with free entertainment every night , we didnt eat there but had a few drinks and saw some of the entertainment . it was a step back in time and we both loved it as this place was once a very splendid hotel indeed and it is in the process of a refurb as i type , the room we had was spacious and clean and the staff very attentive, if you are after Luxury then this place is not for you but if you want a no nonsense old worldly hotel with a bit of history and wonderful views then you will love the place, would highly reccomend if only for a night but try and get a premier room if possible .

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you so much for the positive review. You have summed the hotel up beautifully so thank you for taking the time to post these comments.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

we have just returned from this hotel after a weekend break. first my partner went down with sickness bug then on sunday i went down with it, altogether 6 people on our trip were bed ridden and other geusts were ill as well at this time of year many old folk are going there on there annual tinsel and turkey week holiday and this is a very viscious bug and the hotel know about it but dont seem to tell anyone about it, better to be safe than sorry as we are young fit people and it stopped us in our tracks. we were in room 217 and were told this room would not be used for 72 hours but as we were leaving the cleaning girls were already waiting to go in, it is a great shame that profits are put before peoples welfare. Please ring the hotel before you go as i wouldnt want anyone to go through what we have just been through.

Room Tip: When there is a outbreak of this kind i dont think any room is a good room,
Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank peter w

To say I am stunned at this review is an understatement. The group leader of this couple came to see me personally to apologise for bringing the Norovirus into our hotel. Members of the group had already contracted the virus prior to their arrival at the Grand.

Room 217 was NOT used on their departure. Every room in the group (even if no Norovirus was present) was sanitzed and steam cleaned and left empty as per the hotel policy.

Thankfully the hotel is clear of any Norovirus but as ever the hotel always bears the brunt of responsibilty of an outbreak when in reality it is a guest that unknowingly brings it into the hotel.

Norovirus is prevelant throughout the UK in schools and hospitals and not exclusive to hotels and cruise ships.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

just had a fantastic time at the grand hotel llandudno the rooms were very clean and very hot, the hotel was very clean with good friendly staff who put themselves out to give you any help you needed, the food was fresh hot and a very good choice, the bar prices were pretty good the town had everything you needed. i would recommend the hotel to anyone we were there on a turkey and tinsell friday to monday the price was very good for the weekend we had. its nice to be well looked after.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank vincent00
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Thank you for the great review.

It sounds like you had a great weekend and were well looked after by my staff which is always a pleasure to hear. I have passed your favourable comments on to the chef.

Llandudno is indeed a lovely little town and well worth a visit and we hope you want to visit it again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed here for 1 night at the weekend. I can say that i will not be staying here again.

The decor need updating, there was a musty smell in my room and freezing cold!!
I was kept awake by someone downstairs playing the piano and singing songs from the 50s and 60s. It was like a scene out of Phoenix Nights.

In the morning when i went for breakfast i sat down and started eating only to be told by a waiter that i was not allowed to sit by the window. When i asked why, he asked for by Room number. When i told him he just frowned and said "they are not for you sir". He obviously got an A* at the charm school!!

The location is handy but thats all that is good about this hotel.

If Brian Potter takes over then i may come back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the feedback. Not being a fan of Peter Kay and Phoenix Nights I thought I would look up who Brian Potter was; below is the definition on Wikipedia.

Played by Peter Kay, Potter is the club's owner and licensee of the Phoenix Club. After an accident involving a fruit machine, he began using a wheelchair. He is known for his cutting corners, thrifty nature with money and general truculence towards the staff.

Thankfully none of my staff would describe me in the terms above. Fortunately for the hotel the guests love the sing a long from the 60's and 70's and if it is like a scene from Phoenix Nights so be it.

The sea view restaurant is exclusive to the Premier guests and I can only apologise if the staff did not handle the situation to your satisfaction. Communication is the key and it appears that you were not advised correctly by the member of staff manning the restaurant doors where you were to sit which unfortunately leads to an embarrassing situation and I can only apologise.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed here on a coach holiday and the hotel is situated at the end of the bay in Llandudno under the Great Orme. We had a view of the pier and sea from our balcony and although or room was on the "back" (you pay extra to have the front sea view) and the hotel is right on the road we didnt experience traffic noise. We did however suffer from the 100 year old creaky floorboards, each time we moved and our neighbours beside and above us moved in the room, also the corriodors. As it was built in 1901 the rooms are high and the corridors wide. The staff were friendly and drinks prices were good. Dont wait for a Wine Waiter at dinner, we asked twice on our first night, offered to go to the bar ourselves but were told to wait, eventually one turned up halfway through our main course. We never saw one again for our stay and always bought our drinks in from the bar after that. The beds are comfy, bedding clean and towels changed daily if required. Being on a coach holiday and not paying best prices we don't expect the best rooms but I think we are entitled to a ceratin standard of housekeeping and we felt The Grand fell short. We never saw or heard a vacuum cleaner during our stay (Mon - Friday) even on the days when there was a change over the room service staff never had one with them. There was a label on the floor in our room along side thick dust around the wardrobe when we arrived. I left it there and it was still, there the day we left. Outside our room on arrival was a slip from a laundry bundle and a lot of dust balls, they too were still there on Friday. Our sink and toilet were never cleaned, I did it myself on Wednesday. What I thought was a thick ring of black sealant around the bath outlet was in fact mould which I could wipe off with a tiissue. There was mould around the bath taps and soap holder too. Breakfast has a good selection of cereals, fruit, cooked choices, fish and eggs. Toast is ready made for you. Evening meal always has 2 meats, a veggie and fish choice and there is icecream, a hot desert and about 3 gateaux to choose from. Tea & coffee is self service in the lounge.The ballroom is large and there is a good band every night plus BIngo!. We had a singer and dancers too during our stay. Stan entertains at 10 30 pm in the Lounge. We were told by a staff member that he was an aquired taste, but not our taste I'm afraid. NB take coathangers as we had 2 in our wardrobe, hairdryers and irons can be loaned from Reception.

Room Tip: We were in Room 202B which was by the Fire Door in the corridor, people kept banging it. Premier rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sonja P

Thank you for the positive comments on your recent visit to the Grand Hotel.

The floorboards do indeed creak; the hotel is actually 110 years old as it opened its doors on July 4th 1902 (the foundations were laid in 1901).

I absolutely agree about the standard of the bathroom in 202B; the problem has now been addressed.I do wish however this was brought to the attention of the Housekeeper or Duty Manager during your stay so we could have rectified any shortfall in standards. We have loads of coat hangers so no need to bring your own; just ask for more.

Thank you for the positive comments about the food; I have passed these on to the Chef.

And yes Stan can be an aquired taste but we do gets lots of guests asking if he will be on when they come. Entertainment is very subjective; as you will see from the review above. I don't particularly like Peter Kay but many people do.

All in all it does sound like you had a good break and we look forward to seeing you on some future occasion.