“Good weekend break”

Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
London, United Kingdom
“Good weekend break”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Ok - hotel might not be as "grand" at it once was, but I quite like a bit of character ie. creaky floorboards etc. It is an old hotel after all. Our room was fine, clean, bed comfortable. Good view overlooking bay. Food was fine, quite a good choice, and quick as you can just help yourself. Reception staff v polite. Especially enjoyed the dancers in the evening, dancing to the 60's music, they were great to watch, v entertaining so tell them they were the best part of the entertainment by far! Hotel is great location, lots to do, would go back there.

Room Tip: Go for room overlooking bay
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 April 2013

By far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in such a fantastic building left to go to rack and ruin me and my wife stayed in a premier room with enhanced decor which was woodchip wallpaper and a few pictures from the pound shop we stayed half board but the food wasn't good enough to feed the pigs with and the drinks tray in the room was the poorest I've ever come across and probably the smallest en suite I've ever seen to say this hotel is owned by a big chain like britannia is an embarrassment so please do not book this hotel you will be very very disappointed if you do

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank brum67

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

wrexham
Reviewed 7 April 2013

they were very friendly to us room was nice good view over the bay very good entertainment good value for money i would stay here again great location, we stayed in family room.lifts worked fine. great place to stay with children.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review of our hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your short break with us here at the Grand. We very much look forward to you visiting the hotel on some future occasion.
Leicester
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This hotel was in need of an upgrade. Decor outdated and shabby. Furniture didn't match. Cleanliness of room inadequate - cleaner left bar glasses in room after cleaning! Shower hot but could see damp on ceiling. One lift out of operation. Other lift kept busy by old folk unable to manage stairs, so had to walk up the 5 floors. Food dreadful - paid for evening meal but only tried it once - managed to ruin gammon.

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 449JoyD
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry on this occasion for the shortfall in our standards. The bathrooms on the 5th floor are internal and as such do not have much ventilation which leads sometimes to damp patches.

The lift required a part that could not be sourced but we did have one working lift; thankfully both lifts are fully working now.

The food receives such diverse comments; some good some bad so I can only apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your standards.
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a family room with sea view. Have stayed before on a number of occasions and always enjoyed it. Usually have a room on the lower ground floor which are really nice but this time ended up with room 218A on the 2nd floor which wasn't a patch on the usual standard. The room was clean and warm and had lovely sea views but was a bit worn. The toilet seat wants replacing and the shower head is kept in position with an elastic band! Had only one set of towels in the room but reception arranged for a further 2 sets to be brought to the room. One of the curtains was hanging off the track so reported that to reception on arrival. I was advised that maintenance would come and sort it straight away but they never did. The curtain was still hanging off when we left!! The staff were generally polite but generally didn't seem to be as happy as they have been when we have stayed previously. On 2nd night we went into The Connaught bar to listen to Stan Sherwin for an hour or so as he is always so entertaining but whilst he played some good music he never spoke to the audience once. The breakfasts were reasonable but the chef who brought the food in on Thursday morning was miserable and ignored people who spoke to him. The coffee is awful and the tea not much better.We sat by the drinks table and lots of people were struggling with the flasks of coffee. I would suggest getting a drinks machine like they have in many budget hotels now. It just didnt seem the same here as it has before on previous trips.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank for you r review.

The rooms downstairs are very nice and have a great aspect but it is not always possible to meet all requests, especially on a busy Easter half term.
I have taken note of your maintenance issues and can assure you they have been dealt with.
Head Office depict the quality of the tea and coffee we purchase but I have to admit I drink the coffee and I don't find anything wrong with it.

I am sorry it didn't seem as it always has been, the weather has been very cold and miserbale for weeks and sometimes this rubs off not only on staff but on guests as well so I can only apologise if they were not as accommodating on this occasion
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hotel may have once have been "Grand" but to be fair it is now "cheap and cheerful". A good value but budget hotel. We stayed at Easter with National Holidays and paid the equivalent of less than £50 per night dinner b&b. For that you get good value. Room was clean but basic, shower worked well, plenty of hot water OK for a short stay. Food in my opinion for the money is good, plenty of choice in the all you want to eat buffet for breakfast [but no muesli!] and 3 course dinner [impressive salad also available]. Because you serve yourself you can be in and out quickly, or linger if you prefer. No pressure. I liked that and I have no problem making my own pot of tea [although the teabags seemed cheap]. All staff we met were friendly and helpful. Bar prices will not break the bank. Great location but because of that not good for parking in the day. Fabric of hotel suffers from lack of maintenance and as people have said previously has seen better days but the biggest single improvement I would suggest would be to CLEAN THE WINDOWS! They look like they are never cleaned and there is no excuse for that. Dirty windows create a very bad first impression. To sum up. Go. Ignore the dirty windows and have a good time!

Room Tip: Room 202B does suffer intrusion from the late night karaoke so bear that in mind.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am so please to hear you had a good time and for the positive comments about the room, food and staff.
Parking is still reasonable at £3 per 24 hours on the street.

I agree the windows need cleaning; we have been experiencing the most inclement weather these past few months but this is a job we have in hand.

The hotel has been called the Grand since July 1902 in the days of horse and carts (hence the reason we have no car park) and I'm sure it was very grand in those days when only people with money could afford to stay in a hotel. We may not be as grand now but anyone can afford to stay here due to the fantastic offers we do so please continue with your custom.
redditch
Reviewed 31 March 2013

i booked two nights at grand for easter, iwas told check time was 3pm, when i booked ,but when i got there at 3 i was told at reception there check in time was 4pm i called booking dept,
they told me its 3pm , then spoke to manager, and was told that there check in desk opened
at 3pm but you can not have your room till 4pm ,they offered to put my case outside my room,
which i did not want my bags left to maybe get stolen, apart from poor reception staff,
once we had room things were ok, room was clean and walm, the night time entertainment
was very good , and bar prices were fair, all the staff were friendly, i just felt let down
by the poor welcome at reception ,which has put me off going back again, the breakfast,
as very nice

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happydadroy
Anna H, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It sounds like you had a lovely Easter weekend.
It is not the fault of the Reception staff that your room was not ready. Every day with the exception of Mondays and Fridays the rooms are ready for 2.30pm. On Mondays and Fridays we have really big departures and sometimes it is impossible to have the rooms ready for 3pm although they do their best. You say that your room was clean so I am sure you appreciate that the housekeeping staff need the time to ensure the rooms are clean before allowing guests to enter the accommodation.
Every other aspect of your short break was favourable so I do hope you change your mind about coming back to see us.