“Don't go there food awful and place filthy”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #57 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
“Don't go there food awful and place filthy”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed one night one night too Long put in double room with one chair and wardrobe falling apart was moved so good going there. The whole hotel is so run down and dirty don't think it has seen a polish or Hoover for months and the furniture well steptoe and son had better.
But it got worse asked on booking in should we book for dinner no just turn up. Brought tickets for the bingo night which started 8.30 we stil hadn't got a table for dinner by seven thirty complained to duty manager got money back for tickets, then went in for dinner into (restaurant ) food hall more like it was Buffett and most of the food had gone or was dried up and the cakes in bowls were curled up. We were last in and the staff were clearing away and setting up for breakfast around us. Duty manager did send a bottle of sparkling perry and came to ask how the meal was I just said don't ask was so upset about the whole evening things didn't improve at breakfast only thing worth eating was porridge and fruit would not recommend this Hotel to anyone If this is the standard of Britania hotels We won't be staying in one again

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Jet20lancaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

we have just come back and we stayed at the grand hotel with national holidays. we had room 117 with lovely sea views. the bathroom was a let down tiles missing damp on cistern ,yellow stain along bottom of shower curtain. if we hadnt had such a lovely view i would have changed rooms.

the maids came in and tidied up but we had to wash the dirty cups out they were not replaced.
food wasnt to bad. the monday night it was freezing downstairs in hotel.

yes it was full of elderley people but we expected that,

we had 2 lovely day trips with gary our driver he was brilliant
would i go back to the grand no

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Chorley
Reviewed 8 April 2013

second time we have stayed in the Grand and enjoyed this time to but we where on the 2nd floor this time and could clearly here the band playing so if we go again will try for 3rd floor or higher.
The food was excellent lots of choice and well cooked.
The weather was sunny but very cold but the heating in the room was very good and the room was very bright and clean.

Room Tip: if you want a good nights sleep then go for a premier room on the 3rd floor or higher if poss the li...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bluehillboyChorley
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I confess I didn't do my homework and look at some reviews of this hotel prior to booking. It seems something of a 'marmite' factor is operating here - with people swinging to two polar extremes of excellent vs extremely poor. I wanted to give the GH the benefit of the doubt but as the week progressed (8 nights) there was more to find fault with.

Ok - the GH isn't exactly a borstal - but there are substantial faults here that aren't being attended to. As many reviews attest to the fact that the hotel infrastructure is in dire need of major attention. Many of the major corridors and access points are marked by poor interior decorating, dirty windows and shabby curtains. The dining room sea view was marred by dirty windows and barely concealed black mould around window frames and fittings. One of the hotel lifts was also out of commission as well which was a bit of a hindrance as my wife has a disability and the one remaining lift was oversubscribed meaning I often had several waits until I could get wheelchair in lift.

There seemed to be a major problem with heating - so the downstairs ballroom was also mothballed for the duration of our stay -the entertainment re-routed to the Connaught bar. Even here it could be drafty depending on location.

We found the food very hit and miss. I'm not really a traditional breakfasty person, although I usually get by on toast and scrambled eggs. Not here I'm afraid, the scrambled egg was so watery and tasted like egg custard. And what bread is being used for the toast? Ok - so it's all batched up as a buffet - but even so, I'm usually not that hard to please - I'm usually happy with the toast provided by the likes of a Wetherspoon venue. How about some nice crusty bread? The fried eggs were also very lacking for whatever reason. My wife is more the meat eater - but the likes of the bacon rashers were not appetising. The mushrooms were I presume of the boiled and tinned variety - vapid. And the grilled tomatoes had a tough skin and awkward tang about them. Oh - and the beans were always lukewarm, always a bête-noire of mine and my wife. And what happened to the hash browns, only saw them on 1 day? For our final few days I decided to skip breakfast altogether or just have a glass of orange juice and tea.

The evening meals were a much better fair for me on the whole, and there were some really good evening meals, including a very good mushroom stroganoff and also an excellent Sunday turkey lunch. The buffet selection was generally good, some lovely cabbage on one day and some roast/sotay potatoes, peas and green beans all of a high standard. My wife was a little more critical of the savouries - particularly in light of cold new potatoes and cold steak pie!

Desserts were pleasant for the most part if nothing particularly outstanding, although the caramelised pear pie (?) was very nice. Restaurant staff were also attentive and pleasant - nice young lady (East European?) who kept us supplied with teas etc...

Our premier room was not what I expected it to be, although it did have a smallish but attractive sea view balcony, although the windows were dirty. Bathroom was nicely spacious with good sized bath and tiling. However ceiling panelling clearly needed some attention with some of the panels coming off! Also there was barely any toilet roll when we arrived first day which rather caught me out and had to go down to reception.

Big disappointment was the old banger of a 4:3 CRT television that was on some kind of feed that picked up a handful only of channels?! thought analogue had now been switched off - so how this has been calibrated remains a mystery. I've stayed in cheap B & B's and had much better. TV channels that we did get were all cropped to fit. Of course too much to expect a dvd player - although this is supposed to be premier?! With it being very cold we wanted to stay in hotel a bit more perhaps than we would have done otherwise but this is really basic and we spent a small fortune to get this!

Hotel is advertised as Wi-Fi - although we found that officially this is confined to ground floor and not the bedrooms. However being on the 1st floor I was able to get a low-ish signal which meant I could be intermittently online on my tablet.

So to summarise - hotel is in dire need of major refurbishment, attentions needed in respect of food and furnishing. Very overpriced for what you get. I feel sorry for staff who are in a very difficult position - the faults lie firmly at the top of management and the owners who ought to get their fingers out and sort things out - which obviously they won't. Perhaps Grand Hotel is an apt metaphor for Great Britain - which is also being seriously abused by an arrogant ruling class.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Citizenzod

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

doncaster
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked this very last minute as weather had not been very good so i went to look at work in the area price was fantastic for what we got
Are room was booked as a standard but when we checked in we were given a room with a sea view was very good room was in good order the shower was very good only thing is that the hot water is very very hot could be a problem with kids
Had a 3 course carvery included in the price it was very good we had the vegi choice it was piping hot and fresh from the kitchen the veg on the carvery was really good as was the ice cream and cakes
A very good stay only thing is that there is no parking at the hotel however there is parking on the road outside and its free from 16.00 until 10.00

Room Tip: get a sea view room worth the view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stopped here for 1 night with my wife. We only paid £67 for bed breakfast and evening meal and a bottle of wine. For what we paid the hotel was ok and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was fine. The hotel in its time obviously had been very grand, but now just looks a little tired and in need of some tlc. The thing that irritated me about the hotel was, there was no car park. We had to find a space on the prom and pay and display. You paid till 6pm then had to got back and put an overnight ticket in your car till 10am. It was funny lots of people leaving the hotel at 5 to 6 to put tickets in their cars. I am sure they could arrange something better than this

• Stayed February 2013
merseyside
Reviewed 8 April 2013

stayed here for a couple of days. we were fortunate to have a room with a view over the sea.
Food less than average, canteen like. rooms okay, not brilliant but view made up for it. not sure what I would have thought if I had been in a room without a view though.
needs to be done up, tired and warn.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family