“do not go here”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 1 July 2013

What a dump my husband myself son and partner and grandson had booked here for 4 nights we had a seaview room balcony filthy room dirty and had cobwebs my husband dropped a toothpaste lid on the bathroom floor we left it there and it was there 3 days till I picked it up towels weren't touched the cups in the room were just rinsed in the bathroom sink as the tea stain was l
eft there and the cups had water left in them the TV was mono portable the food was disgusting we queued like school and every day we had to wait 10minutes while they put 2 tables together even though they take your room numbers so they know how many are in your party our son and family had the family room at the rear it was dirty they couldn't even see through the windows as they were so filthy there TV was smaller than ours and they left their clothes in the suitcase as they wouldn't use the shabby wardrobe.meals were disgusting cold and bland cutlery and crockery was stained and dirty too many awful things to list here just don't go you have been warned.

Room Tip: Sea view seem a little better
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Kathb B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,842)

Reviewed 30 June 2013

just got back from the grand - busy weekend in Llandudno so had no choice where to stay - what a dump paid for sea view couldn't see through dirty windows, balcony was filthy - room hanging with cobwebs - after complaining had £70 knocked off stay but on departure they had only refunded £60 and no management/reception to deal with mistake the head chef was on reception in his 'whites' was a disaster of a place

Room Tip: don't go there
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank brandy1111111111111
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We went to this hotel as my elderly parents were already holidaying here and we wanted to surprise them for my fathers 81st birthday. We were allocated room 225 and on reflection we should have complained after seeing the room but we didn't really have chance because of the surprise nature of our trip. The room was very small, in fact the small double bed was behind the door and pushed up against the wall to one side, meaning that i had to climb over my husband to get in and out of bed. It was VERY dark as the window faced out to a wall which was about 10 foot away and about 20 foot higher than our window...so hardly no daylight at all. The room and hotel was cleanish but looked worse than it was due to being desperate for a complete refurbishment. The food was basic but not of a bad quality and was perfectly acceptable although the self-service for the evening meals is not a good idea, it smacked more than a little of 'canteen / school ' meals and some of the dining room staff were bit unhelpful (ie there was no teapot on the hot drinks table and when I asked for some was told 'there is some on the other table at the bottom of the dining room so go and get them' which was not really the correct response to paying guests I felt.. I am not sure I would use this chain of hotels again as the 'no frills' approach wasn't for me.

Room Tip: do not have room 225. Dark, dingy and too small for comfort.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank woodyclan
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We booked this hotel through late rooms quite late so its our fault for not checking the reviews. !
The hotel is absolutely awful and filthy. Its a cross between a Butlins camp from the 50's and an Old Peoples Home. We paid £70 for a double room with Breakfast and if I had paid £20 I would have said it was overpriced. The room did not have any opening windows and was smelt dreadfully. The woodchip paper and furniture was probably new back in the 50's. The balcony in the room was boarded up with claims it was unsafe. The pictures on their websites are completely false. They may have 1 or 2 rooms that look like that however what you actually get is completely different. The windows are so filthy you cant see out of them.

Reception staff are an absolute joke, they were not interested in helping and didn't even seem interested in booking us for the 2nd night which we originally wanted as the town was full.
Breakfast was dire, We were told it was served between 9 and 10. We arrived at 9.45 to find lots of the cooked breakfast had run out, staff were frantically clearing away making so much noise and being in the way that we gave up after 10 mins. My partner did not even get to her cooked breakfast and made do with a bowl of cereal. Now when they said between 9 and 10 we found out that you have to kind of line up like school dinners at 9am and be finished by 10am so the staff can crack on with other jobs.

The only saving grace on this hotel that can easily be compared to the Grosvenor from TV was the bar and entertainment. The entertainment staff seemed to worked extremely hard and did put on a good show. We were there when one of the girls was leaving to move on to a cruise ship and all the staff seemed genuinely upset to lose her. The bar staff were also excellent and severed a great pint at a good price.

All in all this is a vastly overpriced, run down, filthy dirty place that should have been shut down years ago. Its a great shame as its in a fantastic location and could be so much more.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DTD73
Reviewed 28 June 2013

4 of us stayed here for 3 nights and can't believe we paid to stay in a place like this. It was so dirty, don't know about a sea view, we couldn't see out the windows! The staff were lovely (not the receptionist). The only good thing about this hotel was when we checked out! Will never go back.

Room Tip: No rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Pauline L
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My three friends and I booked a weekend here at a reasonable price for bbem. The bedrooms that we were given were basic but clean. The problem I had was with the head waiter who was very rude. He did say to us" Complain if your not happy". I did complain but the manager was off that day the duty manager said she would get the manager to contact me. I'm still waiting and hope that after reading this the manager will contact me.

Room Tip: We were in attic rooms which would not suit some people as we had to use two lifts.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank zoomy1
Reviewed 27 June 2013

First I have to confess that we stayed at this hotel due to a very frustrating experience with my Hotel Voucher Shop vouchers. I spent a considerable amount of time on their website and gave up trying to find hotels in areas that we have not been to before. The use of these vouchers and the website needs a review of its own!!
Getting back to The Grand. I have a soft spot for old, slightly faded hotels and hate to see them gutted and 'modernised' in what is an all too often bland style. Having said that there is a big difference between faded grandeur and downright neglect. I'm afraid I have to agree with the reviews that describe the dirty rooms; although, strangely, the bathroom was nice and clean apart from thick dust on the shaving light! We also had the dirty windows, carpet that looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed, dressing table mirror with a smiley face left on from who knows when and tea stains on the wall. The décor is well past the need for a lick of paint and to top it all there were two used contact lenses dried to a crisp on the bedside table! The overall impression is one of a business that is clearly not re-investing any profits in itself.
The staff at reception and the Grand Ballroom(?!) were pleasant enough but, again, I have to agree with other reviewers about the staff in the restaurant. They didn't seem to want to break the flow of their constant clearing up of tables to answer any questions we had. The standard of food was very disappointing, no beans at breakfast is not something I would expect from a hotel with no stars let alone one that gives itself 3.
As I'm starting to feel a bit depressed writing this I'll finish with a positive. The position is good and parking wasn't too difficult. We didn't have a sea view (despite having to pay over £90 because it was through the voucher website and not Laterooms or similar) but I can imagine that views from these rooms may take some the sting out of the downsides of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple