“Just what i needed........”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 14 August 2008

My husband and I wanted to get away for a few days......so it began by booking at The Grand.
After reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor we were a bit worried but always like to make our own minds up.
To be honest we didnt pay a lot and even paid a supplemant to upgrade to the Premier. We had a lovely room with sea view and balcony that looked straight across Llandudno. When booking Premier you get to dine in the Sea View Restaurant (We were really lucky and had a table next to the Window). The food was great, really could not fault it considering what we had paid for it.
Staff are very friendly and helpfull.

Sometimes I just feel that some people only go on Holiday to moan and to pick fault .....But at the end of the day i needed a break and got just what I wanted at The Grand.

Entertainment is superb. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JonesChester

Reviewed 3 August 2008

The Grand hotel may have been a grand hotel in its heyday,but now it certainly is not.Our room door did not lock properly.Reported it to be told it would be sorted,but noone did sort the door.One of the 2 lifts was out of order.The entertainment was fine if you like really loud music blasting out of the room.The restertaunt is a joke.You are given a time to go be seated,but you end up having to wait ages,as people who are suppossed to be in before you,turnup when it's your turn,so you have to wait longer to get in the resteraunt.By then the food is either cold,dried up or finished.Parts of the hotel are closed off during the day for ongoing maintinance.We booked a standard room,but if you book a premier room,then you get more privilages.there is a seperate resteraunt and the rooms are of a much better standard.This is not a suitable hotel for children as there is nothing for them to do.If you are a pensioner with a walking frame then expect to have to carry your dinner plates whilst holding onto your frame to collect your food from the buffet,and have along wait queing up to use the only working lift to your room.If you are a smoker,the only designated smoking place is either outside the hotel or a small varanda off one of the bars,which is fine if it's not raining,as there is no shelter.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank dougkay64
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The hotel should be closed whilst major refurbishment is carried out before it falls to pieces. The standards are disgusting in every aspect, food quality & presentation, food hygiene, health & safety, customer care, staff training, rooms, dining room, communal areas. The staff are nothing short of insolent and disinterested in any report of the many imperfections present.
The rooms and bathrooms are dilapidated, and the cleaning standards are abysmal. We were not allowed into our room until 4 p.m. on the day of arrival which the Hotel claim is their normal policy. This is allegedly because they have over 320 rooms to clean with insufficient staff - a problem I consider to be the hotel's and not the guests'. The food was disgusting and usually cold, and even the head chef scoffed at complaints about cold food.
How this disgraceful building maintains 4 stars bewilders me as even the wardrobe space was minimal, and the clothes hangers were cast offs from a dry cleaners'. The carpets throughout the hotel, both in the rooms and communal areas, and dining room, were always filthy and had not been cleaned in months, if not years. The second room allotted to us (the first room having suffered a leaking toilet) had a huge hole in the wall which I had to plug with tissues, somebody had tried to kick in the bathroom door,and the shower unit and wash hand basin were disgusting, and even though I poured disinfectant everywhere, the smell of damp and decay was overwhelming.The doorframes in both rooms were badly damaged, as if somebody had taken an axe to them.
Whilst at the hotel, there was a fire alarm and the lack of safety procedures was shocking. No proper checks were made and there was nobody available to assist elderly and infirm guests to manage the staircases down to the ground floor.
The name Grand is a contradiction in terms and the name should be changed to something more realistic. This hotel has not been grand for possibly 50 years or more.
Just don't go there unless you like third world standards.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank cleoanthon
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend break booked through Tesco Clubcard Deals with Britannia Hotels, and had 2 "Premier" rooms on the top (5th) floor.

The rooms were a reasonable size and moderately comfortable but the decor was very "tired" and none to clean although the bed linen and towels were OK. This really reflected the rest of the hotel which is desperately in need of a total renovation although a thorough cleaning would work wonders in the meantime.

We only ate breakfast in the dining room and this was fine with a decent buffet selection of hot and cold food available. The set dinner menu didn't look very appetising.

Parking - there is no car park and very limited (busy) on street parking in the vicinty. There is pay & display parking nearby but again this was busy.

The hotel was mostly full of elderly bus tour guests and this must be the only way it survives as I cannot see how it could possibly stay in business any other way. Evening entertainment was provided but was terrible - we got a dirty look from the entertainer as we left after 5 minutes of his act!

To summarise, although run down and dirty, it sufficed as a base for a couple of days. Had we been booked for any longer I think we would have moved on elsewhere. We certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank reallygrumpytourist
Reviewed 20 July 2008

My wife and I just spent the weekend at this hotel, paid for by Trsco Clubcard vouchers! We had a room right over the sea with fantastic views. The Breakfast and room were fine.

The hotel is a great place to tour the surrounding area. we walked from the beach on the other side of Llandudno to Conwy (?) which was a beautiful place dominated by a castle. Would go back happily.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Groomred
Reviewed 21 June 2008

This was absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! It was extremely expensive for the rooms which were old fashioned and so dirty; I felt I had to sleep with my own towels underneath and on top of me. The breakfast was appalling, greasy & cold. The only good thing was the evening entertainment, but I wish I'd just booked a B&B at half the price across the road and popped in to see the entertainment. Were we recovering after a family bereavement and our stay made us feel even worse! When I explained to the hotel staff that I couldn't stay another night they would not refund my money. I am a regular traveller and can categorically say it is the worse place I have ever stayed!

We are a family of 3 in our 30's with a 4 year old child.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2008

stayed at the grand for the weekend the room was nice over lookin the sea, the food was very good and the staff very helpful, well worth the money

Stayed: June 2008