“This hotel was fabulous!”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had premiere rooms overlooking the sea. It was absolutely fantastic. The food was great even the entertainment. Plus I won 2x at bingo. I would defiantly stay there again! The staff was great and they even have a snooker table.

Room Tip: Have to have a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Dont be put off, I booked 2 nights premier room 117a an it was lovely, sea views balcony,perfect.Spotlessly clean an comfy beds no complaints.Dined in premier resturant and food is good,as much as you like. Breakfast and tea just make sure you get there earlier as it will be hotter. There is bingo and entertainment every night in lovely rooms.The views are beautiful the staff lovely the lounge, ballroom, resturant,entance all spot on.Yes there are faults as in balconys rusty etc but it has faced the eliments for years what do you expect! No sooner the painters have done the hotel I bet they have to start again. Its a large HOTEL.So stop moaning and just relax by the sea and enjoy Llandudno.It is good value the whole stay, just make sure you book premier with sea views you should not be dissappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank missred2008
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Another sad old grand building being barely kept alive by Brittannia - wood chip wall paper sits uneasily between the original mouldings, and whoever thought a beige carpet would work in a hotel room that deals with the volume that these hotels do.... well.... We got a very small room, and I expect they are all the same, it had a balcony but no smoking allowed on the small rusty balcony, and that was the only reason I chose this hotel! So now I really can't forgive any of it's bad points and there were many - breakfast was an experience I would hope to never repeat. At least it has a nice view right on the bay, and although marginally cleaner than some other Brittannia Hotels, tired and shabby like the rest. The shower in the bath was a nightmare -even with the non slip mat we both managed to slip - and the water temperature was erratic, rude awakening to say the least.
The only real positive I have is that we arrived very late and the night security man was very pleasant and welcoming, if we had arrived earlier I think I would have found another hotel.

Room Tip: chose another hotel, there are many.
3  Thank lizardly
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just had a one night stay in room 215 and apart from the view this is probably the least inviting hotel bedroom I have ever had to endure. The Grand is an old and once bp splendid Hotel and I can appreciate that upkeep must cost a fortune but there is no excuse for filth and from the large black stains on the carpet through to the filthy surround to the bath the only clean part of our room was the bedding. The balcony for which we had paid a premium was a real rusty and badly corroded mess with two pigeon stained plastic chairs. The rest of the hotel is gloomy and for the most part poorly maintained and unloved. Management appears to adopt a reactive role rather than leading judging by the behaviour of some but not all of the staff. If you stay look out for the fire alarm sounded at 7.45am just to ensure that you are out of bed, breakfasted and checked out by 10am. Mind you our room on trying to check in was not ready until 4.00pm. Six hours to make a couple of beds, surely not. After all scant time is spent cleaning. Meals are buffet style very limited choice served in serried ranks reminiscent of a boarding school dinning hall. Unlike other reviews we did not find any shortage of food nor over eager waiting on staff in fact despite the lack of sophistication and ambience meals at the Grand are fair value for the budget price that we paid.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bernhard M
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was a last minute booking and was cheap at £49 for 2 including breakfast. We were not expecting the Ritz. However the chair in our room had a large, nasty stain, the hotel room tap water was not suitable for human consumption unless boiled (there were no bottles of water in the room and the vending machine in the lobby was broken) and the dining area was reminiscent of a school canteen.

It's a very old hotel and has some lovely architectural features. We were not expecting luxury but expect drinkable water and clean furnishings at the very least in a UK 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe the deluxe rooms are better?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I had a two day mid-week break at this hotel. Whilst Llandudno is a lovely place to visit the room was just about acceptable. Unfortunately, the one evening meal and two breakfasts (included with the deal) left an awful lot to be desired. I feel the catering buyer must be using the cheapest source and then to try to disguise this they cook everything almost to destruction. Along with Susan P I felt meal times were far too rushed. Although I was never a great fan of the Pontins Group, Britannia hotels could learn from their acquisition a few years ago.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the centre of the building as their view of of a light well.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes the hotel is a bit tired and shabby but what a wonderfully majestic building , we loved it . We stayed in room 408 which whilst quite small had lovely views and the bedding was very clean as was the bathroom ... in my book the most important things in any hotel. The staff were friendly but in my experience you get back what you put in ,and the entertainment was great, my only criticism was the food which I found quite unpalatable but which my partner thought was ok. We would definitely return but probably upgrade to a premier room solely for the food. Great stay , thank you .