“Ok”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had a voucher for 1/2 price afternoon tea
The entrance of the hotel looked fab however some otherpublic areas were a bit shabby, although there were notices apologising for inconvenience during refurb, so its on the up.
We sat out on the balcony and the views were fab, and surprisingly no seagulls bothered us.
The afternoon tea was a choice of sandwich a cream cake, a mini cake and a scone with jam n cream.
Sandwich was freshly made and cut into fingers, the cakes were fresh cream eclairs (not homemade)
And mini cakes a choc tart n a mini choc mousse cake
Scones were not homemade sadly but tasted ok
N the cream was a little plastic roddams tub.

It was ok for the price we paid, it was nicely served, and the two men in the cafe area were really lovely friendly and polite.
Not my most favourite afternoon tea but ok , and the views and service made it better.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

... I've stayed in worse. Me and my girlfriend were recommended the hotel by my grandmother and I can see why. It has that simple appeal required for a quiet, no bells and whistles weekend away at the sea side.

It's old fashioned, sea side holiday style is evident throughout with its garish and "grand" foyer, it's shabby, dirty, no frills rooms, it's Phoenix nights like performances and the fact that it was full of old people. Lots and lots of old people (we are mid twenties)

The food was edible, just about. It tasted good but the service was... Interesting. It was kinda like what I would expect in a prison, along with the grotty looking large "chef" slopping food onto your plate as though he was serving sections of his soul and had been for some years.

The rooms had their very own supply of penicillin growing on the window sills and the rooms were tinged yellow with time. The bed was pretty comfy must say and I had a great nights sleep every night.

And it has a decent bath which, for me, is mega important.

We loved llandudno and enjoyed our time in the seaside town and viewed the "Grand hotel" as a barn to rest out weary heads of a night, nothing more, nothing less.

If you looking for a basic room and your not fussed about luxury I would recommend this hotel.

Next time I visit the town I will be staying there again because it has what I need... A bath and a bed.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank James T
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is by far the shabbiest place I have ever stayed in. I am writing this review from my so called Superior room and believe it when I say, it is far from superior. If you find yourself with money to spare do not waste it booking a room at the Grand Hotel Llandudno. It truly is a dive

• Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank Timsmethurst
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. If you want to stay in a hotel run by butlins this is your place! What a dive. Words cannot describe this hotel. As others have said, the food is fried - awful. Set out like butlins restaurant, vey noisy, dirty and not alot of choice. The room we had was in the loft.. very windy and noisy. Hot water burnt me and my 9yr old daughter! The quite room had no cushions on the sofa to sit on... Windows were absolutely filthy. I did complain, but the duty manager Tracy just said oh thanks for bringing this to my attention. When I checked out, Tracy said if you come again, ring me and I will give you a good rate! ! I WILL NEVER GO HERE EVER AGAIN. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank CREWIE_71
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I paid £339 for three weekend nights (25-28 July) for B&B for 2. I was disgusted with almost every aspect of this grossly inferior so-called hotel, which was more like a Home for the Elderly and Handicapped. Faulty Towers would have been luxury compared to this. Reception staff were abrupt and uncaring. There does not seem to be a top man manager but instead several uncouth, ignorant ,scruffily dressed "Duty" managers, who haven't a clue about customer service. Although you get kicked out at 10.am on departure day . (the only time you ever see any cleaning or room staff) you are made to wait till 4pm before checking in and being allotted your room. When I pleaded, as a Diabetic, I needed to do my Insulin injections in private so needed to have my room earlier, I was refused without any reason and told to use the gents toilet!. It apparently takes from 10am to 4pm to get a room ready at this Dump!!
Wall plugs in the room frequently stopped working, so unable to charge mobile or make a cup of tea! The food was rubbish, The "restaurant" was like an American prisoners canteen at breakfast, and serving severely overcooked meat and veg into a mush at Dinner. One night of this was enough! The dining staff were totally disorganised when they weren't being patronising and officious. There was no choice where to sit. I was told by a young female "gatekeeper", "You go where we put you"! Cutlery was dirty. toast had to be put through the toaster 3 times, creating delays and queues. Amazingly in a so-called hotel of this very low standard there operates a class system in the so-called restaurant. You can sit in by the sea-view windows if you have booked "Premier". Yet despite the amount I paid I still didn't qualify for this! The entertainment, for what it was worth was abysmal. In Langtrys bar, kids wildly running around whilst some trivial quiz was going on.
In the ballroom, two average young singers, accompanied by two corny dancing girls reminiscent of Pan's People 40 years ago! The Karaoke? A Joke! One of the above singers running it each night. both of them amatuerish without a clue how to run such.. Mic breaking down all the time when volunteers were singing!
When matters or situations reach the lowest level of mediocrity they become laughable (as in Faulty Towers) and in the end all we could do was laugh at the sheer incompetence, tattiness and terrible standards. The management are totally incompetent and lackadaisical, with nobody apparently in charge. Consequently there is no professionalism or organisation. When I asked a young barmaid in the Connaught Lounge for a Gin and Tonic with ice and lemon, She could not even remember that and had to ask me after each ingredient was put nto the drink, "Anything else?"! I feel that for what I paid for and what i got I was robbed!! One final thing, more serious than anything else. If this hotel doesn't soon a get a grip there is going to be a serious accident to either a small child or an elderly person, with the water temperature in the rooms. In our bathroom, as soon as you turned on the hot water tap it came out without any warning scalding hot. I soon caught on to this but will an innocent young child or forgetful elderly person? I have reported this grave breach of Health & Safety, which I feel borders on the criminal, to the Welsh Environmental Health authorities. Meanwhile, this dirty, scruffy so-called hotel is a relic of Victorian past grandeur and is too far gone to ever be properly refurbished to modern standards. The best thing would be its demolition and replacement with a brand new hotel built on the site.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - the only redeeming feature of this hotel -otherwise it will feel like a pr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank george s
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed her on a Friday night we had to pay for the room before seeing it !! If we had seen it before payment we would nit have parted with cash ! The room had a sea view but windows so dirty could not see the sea ! Stains on chairs holes in bathroom walls and decor shabby ! Breakfasts like a factory line not good as charge a huge rate for a dive !!!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Samandshaun1
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Room very dated not very clean food cold and taste less can't get snacks at night nothing for children entertainment rubbish 3 bars all close before 12 o'clock needs a refurbishment and entertainment up dateing

Room Tip: Was none ours was bad
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family