“Value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
kent
“Value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed here during the cold spell in February. The hotel was so warm , our room overlooked the sea and we had a nice balcony. We were half board the food was delicious with lots of choice. I would be reluctant to have self catering in Llandudno again after experiencing the Grand Hotel SUCH VALUE FOR MONEY. Snacks and drinks were very reasonable too.
Entertainment every night in the hotel was amusing

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 16 March 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2009

The hotel is extremely clean, the food excellent, and the entertainment second to none. We booked a standard twin bedded room which was quite adequate and warm, as is the hotel throughout. Free independent newspapers were a bonus. A busy hotel, and you can see why, when the value for money was great. We travelled with National holidays (Hi, Clive!) and the party travelling with us were amazing! We were there five days. It worked out on a par with the usual B&B, but dinner bed and breakfast at this hotel were absolutely wonderful, with hot plates and plenty of choice. We would recommend this hotel for its location and are sure anyone staying at the Grand will have a lovely time...
Shirley and mum X

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — Internet access was down, but used nearby library computer
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
redditch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

just got back from a nice weekend iwent with my 12 year old son
and 2 year old daughter im a single dad , it was a great time clean
room friendley staff ,good food value for money,as its about the same price as a small b&b you get a lot for your money, booked again to go in february

• Liked — good staff good food
  • Disliked — no car park
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 26 January 2009
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

Booked this hotel on their website on the spur of the moment for a weekend break.
When we got to Llandudno on Saturday, the place was extremely busy, but we eventually found a space to park the car and we took the Victorian Tram up to the Great Orme and walked it back down in the afternoon.
The Grand Hotel has no car park and coming down from the Great Orme we had to walk past the hotel and decided to check in and collect our car, which was parked about 2 miles away, afterwards.
There was nobody at the reception desk but a young lady appeared after we had rung the bell to ask us what we wanted. When we told her that we wanted to check into our room she looked bewildered and announced that they were fully booked and had no rooms left.
Another young lady arrived and confirmed that the hotel was full despite the fact that we had a written confirmation of our booking.
I got a bit ratty and demanded to see the manager who confirmed that the hotel was full and who explained that they had problems with their computer and that they had no record of our booking.
After some argumentation he decided that there was an internal room available which, so he said, had no view.
How right he was. The ‘room’ was the size of a prison cell with a double bed, some old furniture and a view of a wall. I challenged him to find me another room in Llandudno but after a number of phone calls he informed that no accommodation was available at any other hotel that night.
He did offer to refund me with the charge for the room which, apparently, they had already collected from me when I booked the room.
Reluctantly I decided to stop the night and vowed never to set foot in any other Britannia hotel again.
The full story of my disastrous stay at the Grand Hotel in Llandudno can be found on the following website which also shows that despite their promise to get back to me they never contacted me again.( http://www.complaint-shop.co.uk/grandhotelllandudno.htm)
My advice to anybody who intends to go to Llandudno is yes please do. It’s a lovely clean seaside town which still has the original Victorian Pier and a visit to the Great Orme is delightful but please please please don’t spoil your day and book a room at the Grand Hotel.
Grand it may have been once, it now feels like a run down old peoples home which is full with OAP's who descend on it in coach loads for a cheap weekend.
Stay away and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — I hated it
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpumpernickel
B2_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Thank you for the further information you have provided us with following your Trip Advisor review.
We have now had the opportunity to investigate your points fully and would like to offer the following response:

We are sorry that on arrival at the hotel you were advised there were no rooms available. During very busy periods we do occasionally find ourselves in an overbooking situation, as do all hotel groups. We note from your comments that the Reception Manager did try and source alternative hotels for you, offered to refund your reservation or offered you Room 128 which is a standard double (you had booked a standard twin on the website), and do appreciate the stress and inconvenience this may have caused, but believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to try and find a solution.

We can confirm that the monies were not taken off your credit card at time of booking, the card details merely acted as a guarantee of your reservation. Our accounts indicate that the monies were charged upon check out the following day.

When the hotel is fully booked, the restaurant is often busy and due to the majority of guests arriving to eat within the same timeframe, on occasions there may be a small wait whilst a table is prepared for you. We are sorry you found the food not satisfactory but we do appreciate that personal food preference is a subjective matter. We are happy that you were offered a complimentary bottle of wine in recognition of the inconvenience you had experienced.

It is Britannia Hotels policy to acknowledge all written complaints on receipt and forward the details for the General Manager to respond. Once again, please accept our apologies that no response was received and we will contact the hotel to follow this up.

In closing, we do believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to fulfil your reservation or offer you alternatives.

Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

ayrshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

We did not have a nice experience of this hotel at all. The meals when available were not too bad but we were with a coach party, there were 4 coach parties in all and the hotel didn't seem to be able to cope with as many people at mealtimes. There were 4 different sittings one for each coach party. By the time the 4th party went in to breakfast or dinner there was not enough food for the whole party. Being part of a large company and the hotel having 162 rooms you would have expected them to be more organised. I don't think they employ enough staff, the staff they do employ in the dining rooms and bar worked well and were very pleasant. Paper peeling from ceiling in parts. otherwise hotel clean and tidy. On entering the hotel for the first time it is really nice and appealling until you go up to the 5th floor.

• Liked — the location to the town and amenities.
  • Disliked — mealtimes and location of room
  • Stayed August 2008
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

We stay at the Grand Hotel on 26th August for 3 days.

I must admit, we booked before we read the reviews and I was dreading going.

I was relieved when we entered the room (208) to see that the room although old fashioned was clean and acceptable (this was a premier room at the back of the Hotel with a balcony and sea view). The bathroom was lovely very large with a bath and a walk in shower and was spotless. There was plenty of hot water and excellent pressure both in the bath and shower.

I did however, ask for the top cover and the blanket on the bed to be changed as they smelt musty, but the sheets and pillow cases were spotless.(They do need to spend more money on newer bedding)

We had a good view from our balcony over the sea.

The food was good, and the restaurant staff were vey nice and helpful especially Andrew.

I can't comment on the entertainement as we didn't watch it.

The worse thing about the Hotel was the creaky floor boards, this was bad and seriously needs to be sorted.

Overall I think for what we paid for dinner ,bed, and breakfast was very fair.

Although I would recommend this Hotel, I think Llandudno in general is a place for the older generation, and for that reason only, I won't stay in Llandudno again.

No disrespect to the older generation but I felt old before my time.

• Liked — The size of the room and bathroom.
  • Disliked — Creaky floorboards and nowhere to park.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Manchesterrrr [=
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2008

I don't know what hotel the people below me stayed in but it's definitely not the same one that I did. I went to The Grand with my friend and my grandparents this weekend. First off, I'd just like to praise all the staff who greeted us. A porter whose name I think was Ste (If anyone knows his surname please can you write it in a review on here or something for me, because I would very much like to put his name on the review card they gave us) couldn't have been more welcoming and he helped take all our luggage up the second we got in.

A lady at reception answered every question we had and we were then escorted to the lift and up to our rooms. We paid for two standard twin rooms and weren't really expecting any luxuries. But when we got into the room and saw the balcony overlooking the sea and pier, we couldn't have been more pleased. The decor didn't bother me in the slightest; I wouldn't call it dated, just plain. The room was immaculately clean with plenty of storage and a large bathroom.

Everywhere we went in the hotel, we were treated really well and the staff I mentioned before continued their excellent service throughout the weekend. It's a place I would definitely go to stay in again.

• Liked — The staff, the cleanliness and area
  • Disliked — There was nothing I disliked
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family