“Looking foreward to next year”

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
Ranked #58 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Ebbw Vale
“Looking foreward to next year”
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We arrived at the Grand Hotel at 2.30, 23rd March 2009. A Coach load of 51 peaple, our journey took 5 hours with the obvious stops, our trip was run by Joyce, our drivers name was Peter, who i would like to thank now, they were very helpfull and nothing was to much trouble. On arrival while waiting for rooms, we were provided with a happy hour bar, with the cost of beer £1.00 a pint ,also shorts, these prices lasted from 12 am till 7. pm. our rooms were exellent very clean, There was a nice choice of food, and the plates were very hot,( it was self service.)
The entertainment was very good, Dancing , and artists, also good entertainment by the staff. There was a bit of trouble keeping the lifts running, but a lot of this was miss use of the lift, where a sign states no more than six peaple in a lift at any one time, and then you get 8 and nine peaple trying to squeeze in. the bar also offers a karaoke on a monday night, and a singalong from tuesday to thursday night with (Stan on the organ ) this was a chance for anyone to give a song, ( of course you had to make your own fun), we were up singing till 12.30 every night. (when planning this trip ) we were looking for reviews of theGrand Hotel, we had to rely on the internet, or peaple that have already stayed there, I think a lot of peaple forget this is a 2 star hotel, A lot of the comments were very bad, but we took the option of finding out for ourselves, my conclusion is, if you are one of these peaple that like a good moan and pick faults in every thing, i find you will never be satisfied, because some of the comments peaple have made i dont think you will ever be satisfied if you were in a 5 star hotel, To the staff of the Grand Hotel I say thankyou for an entertaining week, looking foreward to seeing you next year. keep up the good work, and please dont get rid of the singalong in the bar.

• Stayed March 2009
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 31 March 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Polish first
1974corlett
Reviewed 27 March 2009

we arrived the 23rd march 1pm waiting 3 hours to get room got to room 4pm we lefted the hotel 5pm absolute disgrace dried food lefted on side plates and folded napkins look at pics for your decision

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1974corlett
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 13 April 2009
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you did not end up staying with us. We offer a variety of room classes ranging from internal views to sea views which are priced accordingly and as the hotel was full on the evening you booked, they were not able to allocate you another room. We can confirm that the company you booked with have refunded you completely and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Manchester
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I am a 79 year old woman and feel so strongly about my terrible experience at this hotel I have come to my daughters to use her computer as I do not own one. My daughter tried to provide a review on my behalf but it was refused on the basis of third party information.
I went to this hotel with a friend to relax after being in hospital. On the second day I came down with severe sickness and the "other" with cramps, I was in a bit of a mess as my friend had gone out. As there was no phone in the room I had to phone my daughter on my mobile and she then contacted the hotel. My daughter was told that there was the NORWALK VIRUS in the hotel which was brought in by an older guest. I had to clean the bathroom and myself with cold water, staff would not come into the room to clean, in fact I saw little by way of cleaning, my room was not cleaned at all.
I was very distressed and confused as I had started to be sick prior to the alleged virus carrying guest arrived, all I know is that I have never in all my years of travelling, been given anti-bacterial gel to use nor been so sick.
I am offended by the brittania hotels as they refused to provide a refund and said that any further communication from my daughter and myself would be ignored. I was very ill and this continued for some weeks, unfortunately brittania have never accepted any responsibility for this and placed the blame firmly on another elderly guest. At the time of my stay there were some twenty odd other guests with the virus all elderly and some with disabilities. Brittania should be ashamed of themselves treating elderly people in this way, as i have no other form of redress I just want people to be aware of the terrible conditions at this hotel but more importantly the lack of interest and care for elderly guests.
I would never step foot in the grand hotel again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angel2701
kent
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed here during the cold spell in February. The hotel was so warm , our room overlooked the sea and we had a nice balcony. We were half board the food was delicious with lots of choice. I would be reluctant to have self catering in Llandudno again after experiencing the Grand Hotel SUCH VALUE FOR MONEY. Snacks and drinks were very reasonable too.
Entertainment every night in the hotel was amusing

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 16 March 2009
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2009

The hotel is extremely clean, the food excellent, and the entertainment second to none. We booked a standard twin bedded room which was quite adequate and warm, as is the hotel throughout. Free independent newspapers were a bonus. A busy hotel, and you can see why, when the value for money was great. We travelled with National holidays (Hi, Clive!) and the party travelling with us were amazing! We were there five days. It worked out on a par with the usual B&B, but dinner bed and breakfast at this hotel were absolutely wonderful, with hot plates and plenty of choice. We would recommend this hotel for its location and are sure anyone staying at the Grand will have a lovely time...
Shirley and mum X

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — Internet access was down, but used nearby library computer
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
redditch
Reviewed 25 January 2009

just got back from a nice weekend iwent with my 12 year old son
and 2 year old daughter im a single dad , it was a great time clean
room friendley staff ,good food value for money,as its about the same price as a small b&b you get a lot for your money, booked again to go in february

• Liked — good staff good food
  • Disliked — no car park
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 26 January 2009
United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Booked this hotel on their website on the spur of the moment for a weekend break.
When we got to Llandudno on Saturday, the place was extremely busy, but we eventually found a space to park the car and we took the Victorian Tram up to the Great Orme and walked it back down in the afternoon.
The Grand Hotel has no car park and coming down from the Great Orme we had to walk past the hotel and decided to check in and collect our car, which was parked about 2 miles away, afterwards.
There was nobody at the reception desk but a young lady appeared after we had rung the bell to ask us what we wanted. When we told her that we wanted to check into our room she looked bewildered and announced that they were fully booked and had no rooms left.
Another young lady arrived and confirmed that the hotel was full despite the fact that we had a written confirmation of our booking.
I got a bit ratty and demanded to see the manager who confirmed that the hotel was full and who explained that they had problems with their computer and that they had no record of our booking.
After some argumentation he decided that there was an internal room available which, so he said, had no view.
How right he was. The ‘room’ was the size of a prison cell with a double bed, some old furniture and a view of a wall. I challenged him to find me another room in Llandudno but after a number of phone calls he informed that no accommodation was available at any other hotel that night.
He did offer to refund me with the charge for the room which, apparently, they had already collected from me when I booked the room.
Reluctantly I decided to stop the night and vowed never to set foot in any other Britannia hotel again.
The full story of my disastrous stay at the Grand Hotel in Llandudno can be found on the following website which also shows that despite their promise to get back to me they never contacted me again.( http://www.complaint-shop.co.uk/grandhotelllandudno.htm)
My advice to anybody who intends to go to Llandudno is yes please do. It’s a lovely clean seaside town which still has the original Victorian Pier and a visit to the Great Orme is delightful but please please please don’t spoil your day and book a room at the Grand Hotel.
Grand it may have been once, it now feels like a run down old peoples home which is full with OAP's who descend on it in coach loads for a cheap weekend.
Stay away and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — I hated it
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpumpernickel
B2_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Thank you for the further information you have provided us with following your Trip Advisor review.
We have now had the opportunity to investigate your points fully and would like to offer the following response:

We are sorry that on arrival at the hotel you were advised there were no rooms available. During very busy periods we do occasionally find ourselves in an overbooking situation, as do all hotel groups. We note from your comments that the Reception Manager did try and source alternative hotels for you, offered to refund your reservation or offered you Room 128 which is a standard double (you had booked a standard twin on the website), and do appreciate the stress and inconvenience this may have caused, but believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to try and find a solution.

We can confirm that the monies were not taken off your credit card at time of booking, the card details merely acted as a guarantee of your reservation. Our accounts indicate that the monies were charged upon check out the following day.

When the hotel is fully booked, the restaurant is often busy and due to the majority of guests arriving to eat within the same timeframe, on occasions there may be a small wait whilst a table is prepared for you. We are sorry you found the food not satisfactory but we do appreciate that personal food preference is a subjective matter. We are happy that you were offered a complimentary bottle of wine in recognition of the inconvenience you had experienced.

It is Britannia Hotels policy to acknowledge all written complaints on receipt and forward the details for the General Manager to respond. Once again, please accept our apologies that no response was received and we will contact the hotel to follow this up.

In closing, we do believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to fulfil your reservation or offer you alternatives.