“Shocking Hotel!”

Ranked #40 of 59 Hotels in Llandudno
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Shocking Hotel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I took advantage on a Groupon deal a few weeks ago to stay at this hotel, I wished I hadn't bothered. This hotel is supposedly rated 3 star, whoever has rated it must of been blind, I don't think is possible to rate this hotel.
Upon arrival the exterior of the hotel is very drab. Venturing into the hotel it's clearly visible that it's well overdue a makeover, not only that the hotel had a musty old smell to it which wasn't nice at all. Going up to the room and after looking closely there were hairs in the bottom of the shower, black mould around the grouting, again an old unpleasant smell along with drab outdate decoration, bedding which didn't look clean and which was well worn, the mattress was old and shabby which probably had bed lice in it and the chair in room had dark stain's on it, need I say more.
I know that it was a cheap deal on the internet but you would still think that there would be a good standard of cleanliness there, but there wasn't. After seeing the bedroom that did it for me I went straight to reception to complain, I was offered a full refund and left the hotel, I must of only been in there 20 minutes.
Be warned people I wouldn't even let my dog stay at this hotel, so think twice before booking and read previous reviews on here.

Room Tip: Don't bother find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank HotelSniper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in.firstly my boyfriend and I booked a double room and had two single beds I went to complain and receptionist said there was nothing they could do about it as had no more doubles available.secondly we upgraded to a spa room with "whirlpool" and a bottle of champagne..the "whirlpool" was simply a tiny bath with a few jets (the website indicated more of a jacuzzi type spa upgrade) in a grotty bathroom! When booking and asking for champagne which was an additional 30 odd pounds I had asked if it was Moët and they said yes however on arrival it was Brut!and reception denied saying it would be Moët and that they don't stock it and once again said there was nothing they could do about it!we also had pre paid for a 3course dinner at £16.50 each. there was only the option of 3 main courses and all courses were brought out within 1minute of ordering and were disgraceful! The restaurant is also only open for an hour between half 6 and half 7 which we weren't made aware of when booking. The room itself is old and dusty and smelt stale on arrival. Do not visit this hotel unless you are over 70

6 Thank Jaysey

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We visited Llandudno mid feb as part of the groupon deal, arrived and parked in the street for small fee. Staff very welcoming on arrival, we're given keys to our room, room 120 was quite frankly horrible, very shabby, double bed was small and like sleeping on a rock, we both woke up aching each morning. Bathroom was dirty, we had to go and buy flash wipes and clean it ourselves, you should have seen the dirt that came off. Maybe we had a bad room because we were on a cheap deal, I don't know, maybe there are better rooms. Tv was freeview so had a good variety of channels.

Location of hotel was great. Breakfast was average, although each morning we had to ask for the items that the waitresses had forgotten!! I was impressed however that they had vegetarian sausages, many hotels don't give this option.

Husband went to bar one night for drinks and you could only pay cash, and couldn't open a tab which we found strange, so we went out instead for drinks. Didn't eat in the resturant we prefer to venture out.

Overall I would say it was what we expected for what we paid but certain things like cleanliness should go without saying. Could do with a complete makeover especially the rooms.

1 Thank chloeanddave
Swindon,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel was awful. We checked out after just 10 minutes (and checked into the St Georges Hotel across the road - that I would recommend). Our room was decorated from the 70's with a 2" gap under the door for noise and cold draft to pass freely. The bed was so uncomfortable. We had a fire exit in the room that led out to a moldy garage roof that could double as the worst balcony in the world. We asked for an alternative room which we were told was not possible as it was fully booked. Really? Middle of winter... there were only a handful of other couples moping about and they looked depressed (they'd obviously already spent the night in this 'hotel').
I really wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Save money and time. Don't even consider it. Better option - treat yourself and stay in the St Georges Hotel or alternatively sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be better
4 Thank Seats
merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel was fine for the price being just an average seaside hotel.
The food however was terrible. The 3 course evening meal was totally overpriced at £12.50, was poorly presented, was totally tasteless, with the only saving grace being the inadequate portions.
Breakfast was another problem. I have a very dry mouth and need soft food. I asked for very soft boiled eggs done for no more than 3 minutes. If they are hard i can't eat them.It is really very simple. The first morning they had to go back as they were solid. The second morning I gave up and just left them. The real problem lies with the staff as their understanding of English is very limited and any request out of the ordinary just does not get correctly understood. The staff were pleasant but in the event useless.

Thank richard.pup
Rugeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Ambassador between 10-12th February 2012. The staff are very friendly and the hotel is in a lovely position. It is spotlessly clean.
There wasn't a lot of choice on the evening menu but what we had was well presented and tasted lovely. The breakfast menu was very good with lots of choice, it was presented well and tasted wonderful with as much tea or coffee as you wanted.
Our room was of a decent size and very clean. However, we did feel it was a little tired, especially the bathroom. We had paid a little extra for a side sea view room and it was in a good position.
When we arrived we took our bags up to the room in the lift but this was an experience never to be repeated. The lift was very small and a bit rickety and even my husband (who does not suffer in confined spaces like myself) did not enjoy the experience.
We would like to say we did have a lovely weekend and the staff are lovely and very helpful.

1 Thank SanY-60
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Where to start with this review. I suppose I should start with something positive, the rooms are very clean...that's it really. The rooms obviously haven't been decorated or redecorated since the 1970's. In our room (307) the border on the wall doesn't even completely make its way around the room, and just when you think I'm being picky it stops in the middle of the wall not even in a corner! The bathroom was clean but the shower assembly was loose and not secure. The worst part had to be the restaurant experience. We were seated at next to another couple and we were so close to them we could smell their food! The waitresses although tried to be nice and polite were unable to do so due to the fact that as soon as we were sat down we were asked to order. When we asked for some wine the waitress highlighted to the dining room that we were on a pre-booked deal. When we tried to order our starters and mains we were told...."starters only!" quite abruptly. The starters arrived 60 seconds after we ordered them and within 3 minutes we were asked if we were finished. When they took the plates away we were allowed to order our mains...which arrived less than 60 seconds later......and yes the food definitely tasted and looked like it was under a heat lamp for quite a while. The service was supposed to be silver service but we were asked to remove the restaurant's things from the table so that the waitress could place the food on our table....very professional!! At that point we asked for a knife as there wasn't one on the table an we were given an evil stare from the waitress. Suffice to say that it continued like this until we left the restaurant...25 minutes after we were seated. And incase you're thinking we attended the restaurant late...we really didn't, we got there at 7pm and they started serving at 6.30. Also if you like a choice of time to eat your dinner, be prepared as they only serve from 6.30-7.30. I would NEVER stay here again!!

3 Thank Colin1984