“Absolutely disgusting”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I went to this hotel on a groupon deal on the 24th of February . I wish we hadn't bothered . The hotel staff were not very helpful , and the room was terrible . The bedding was awlul , old and well worn and the bed was full of bumps and very uncomfortable . We put three pillows on each and they made one pillow thickness. The room didn't look as though it had been decorated for over 40 years and stank smelled very stale and musty. the heating was just a waste of time , it was regulated by the hotel and the room was very cold ! The breakfast was just ok ! , though nothing to write home about . We were told that there was plenty of parking in front of the hotel , the hotels car park was fully booked . We found it very difficult to park right outside the hotel , which could have been made easier if inconsiderate drivers had parked more sensibly , this obviously was not the hotel at fault !. Another drawback with parking on the road was the fact that a parking fee was payable after 10 am until 7 pm , or you got a parking ticket .

Room Tip: don't stay here , go to another hoel
8  Thank chipwhiz

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed here as part of a groupon deal. The hotel is very dated, especially the rooms. The cooked breakfast was quite poor and they really cram you in to the small dining room. Plus it is strange that there was only a one hour window in which you could have breakfast. The room bathroom was tiny. It looks like none of the hotel has been renovated since the 80's, bits of it since the 60's. E.g. the carpet outside our room was thread bare. Also, the hotel had a musty stale smell. On the plus side the location was spot on, right on the promenade. But I wouldn't stay here again, even as part of another special offer.

7  Thank matt3603
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I took advantage on a Groupon deal a few weeks ago to stay at this hotel, I wished I hadn't bothered. This hotel is supposedly rated 3 star, whoever has rated it must of been blind, I don't think is possible to rate this hotel.
Upon arrival the exterior of the hotel is very drab. Venturing into the hotel it's clearly visible that it's well overdue a makeover, not only that the hotel had a musty old smell to it which wasn't nice at all. Going up to the room and after looking closely there were hairs in the bottom of the shower, black mould around the grouting, again an old unpleasant smell along with drab outdate decoration, bedding which didn't look clean and which was well worn, the mattress was old and shabby which probably had bed lice in it and the chair in room had dark stain's on it, need I say more.
I know that it was a cheap deal on the internet but you would still think that there would be a good standard of cleanliness there, but there wasn't. After seeing the bedroom that did it for me I went straight to reception to complain, I was offered a full refund and left the hotel, I must of only been in there 20 minutes.
Be warned people I wouldn't even let my dog stay at this hotel, so think twice before booking and read previous reviews on here.

Room Tip: Don't bother find another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank HotelSniper
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in.firstly my boyfriend and I booked a double room and had two single beds I went to complain and receptionist said there was nothing they could do about it as had no more doubles available.secondly we upgraded to a spa room with "whirlpool" and a bottle of champagne..the "whirlpool" was simply a tiny bath with a few jets (the website indicated more of a jacuzzi type spa upgrade) in a grotty bathroom! When booking and asking for champagne which was an additional 30 odd pounds I had asked if it was Moët and they said yes however on arrival it was Brut!and reception denied saying it would be Moët and that they don't stock it and once again said there was nothing they could do about it!we also had pre paid for a 3course dinner at £16.50 each. there was only the option of 3 main courses and all courses were brought out within 1minute of ordering and were disgraceful! The restaurant is also only open for an hour between half 6 and half 7 which we weren't made aware of when booking. The room itself is old and dusty and smelt stale on arrival. Do not visit this hotel unless you are over 70

6  Thank Jaysey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We visited Llandudno mid feb as part of the groupon deal, arrived and parked in the street for small fee. Staff very welcoming on arrival, we're given keys to our room, room 120 was quite frankly horrible, very shabby, double bed was small and like sleeping on a rock, we both woke up aching each morning. Bathroom was dirty, we had to go and buy flash wipes and clean it ourselves, you should have seen the dirt that came off. Maybe we had a bad room because we were on a cheap deal, I don't know, maybe there are better rooms. Tv was freeview so had a good variety of channels.

Location of hotel was great. Breakfast was average, although each morning we had to ask for the items that the waitresses had forgotten!! I was impressed however that they had vegetarian sausages, many hotels don't give this option.

Husband went to bar one night for drinks and you could only pay cash, and couldn't open a tab which we found strange, so we went out instead for drinks. Didn't eat in the resturant we prefer to venture out.

Overall I would say it was what we expected for what we paid but certain things like cleanliness should go without saying. Could do with a complete makeover especially the rooms.

1  Thank chloeanddave
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel was awful. We checked out after just 10 minutes (and checked into the St Georges Hotel across the road - that I would recommend). Our room was decorated from the 70's with a 2" gap under the door for noise and cold draft to pass freely. The bed was so uncomfortable. We had a fire exit in the room that led out to a moldy garage roof that could double as the worst balcony in the world. We asked for an alternative room which we were told was not possible as it was fully booked. Really? Middle of winter... there were only a handful of other couples moping about and they looked depressed (they'd obviously already spent the night in this 'hotel').
I really wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Save money and time. Don't even consider it. Better option - treat yourself and stay in the St Georges Hotel or alternatively sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be better
4  Thank Seats
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel was fine for the price being just an average seaside hotel.
The food however was terrible. The 3 course evening meal was totally overpriced at £12.50, was poorly presented, was totally tasteless, with the only saving grace being the inadequate portions.
Breakfast was another problem. I have a very dry mouth and need soft food. I asked for very soft boiled eggs done for no more than 3 minutes. If they are hard i can't eat them.It is really very simple. The first morning they had to go back as they were solid. The second morning I gave up and just left them. The real problem lies with the staff as their understanding of English is very limited and any request out of the ordinary just does not get correctly understood. The staff were pleasant but in the event useless.

Thank richard.pup