“It's not that bad!! But could be better!!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Scotland
Reviewed 18 May 2012

OK so it was very cheap using Groupon vouchers for 2 days and the wife found it quaint and enjoyed it. That's important at our age! Very faded grandeur, rather threadbare and we got the impression they were filling in for the off peak period. Don't fancy it on peak. Maybe older people us like it and the location is great, being on the promenade. Worn out room and bedding but clean. Bathroom was ancient but working (mostly). Big noise about 11pm overhead like someone doing DIY. So many different receptionists, trying to be helpful but not really in control. Tight parking at rear of hotel a shambles because of padlock system and cars in the wrong place. We coped OK and enjoyed an evening meal and afternoon tea in the price. The lifts need a mention, not for the claustrophobic. The hotel is a combination of a least 3 smaller ones joined together over the years. It really does feel like Fawlty Towers.

Room Tip: Face the sea or road but probably not the inner courtyard / car park.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BhuddaBean
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I recently took my Mother to this hotel on a three day break for her 87 th birthday. The hotel was clean and tidy and although my Mothers room was small, both rooms were very well presented. We couldn't have been closer to the sea, and my room had a jacuzzi bath and was enormous! it was rather cold in the rooms, but we were given heaters immediately on mentioning this to the reception staff, which warmed the rooms immediately. We spent all our break in the hotel, as the wind was too strong for my Mum to go out, and every one of the staff we dealt with we're courteous and very kind to Mum.

I had read some bad reports before going and was a little worried, but I have to say for the cost the Hotel was excellent, and took one back to the days when hotel staff treated guests like VIP's not like an inconvenience, which is the case in a lot of places these days.

All in all we had a wonderful time, the food was good, the surroundings comfortable, and we even made friends with Smudge the Spaniel. We will definitely go back again soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Roo M
Sale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Went to this hotel late April 2012. Staff were very helpful, especially the receptionists. Downstairs the rooms were acceptable and clean looking with a large glass enclosed verandah to sea gaze. Sadly, the weather was appalling, so I did spend quite some time on the verandah. I took my spaniel with me and we were both treated with the greatest of respect, with the staff making sure Smudge had plenty of water and LOTS OF ATTENTION; even putting two dog bowls in our bedroom (never seen this done before).THANK YOU.
ERYL the female singer in the evening was brilliant.

The breakfast was not exactly hearty, but the sausages were excellent and I could have brought a ton home with me. . At 8.3oam I was told the hot breakfast wasn't ready yet and could have been another ten minutes, although it was earlier than that so I think there could have been a language misunderstanding between the Polish waiter and kitchen staff. The one thing I had to complain about was my bedroom .I was originally put on the third floor, with access only by the tiniest lift, which I could just about get into with my small dog. It was SO claustophobic that after using it once I realised I could not use it again. I don't suffer from this phobia normally, but it was like being in a moving coffin.Horrendous. The bedroom was dirty, the bed sunken and old and it was obvious somebody had been laying on the bed .There were also large grease marks from heads on the wall behind the bed, there being no bedhead.Ugh! I told the receptionist who siad he could not understand why I had been put in room 314 anyway (I didn,t question why)...and he offered me another room on the ground floor which was nearly as bad..more like a cellar...very dark and with only two hooks holding up the curtain. Eventually, he offered me a room on the first floor which I accepted. I felt like telling the management how effective simple bleach could be when used to rid mould on bathroom tiles!.....The shower was powerful and hot, however. Although the one sheet on the bed LOOKED clean I wasn't too sure about the faded blue pillow cases and duvet cover, the latter of which I'm sure hadn't been changed since the last occupant. I spent my two nights with a towel covering the pillow case...something I have NEVER done in 40 years of travelling all over the world.

I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone, which made my short break quite pleasant, in the end. I notice a reviewer said how nice the coffee tray and cookies were....SO WHERE WERE MY COOKIES...? I would like to add that when I complained about the lift and the first room, the receptionist went out of his way to fix me with a better room and even going himself, in his break, to bring down my case and belongings, as I dare not use the lift to do so myself. THANK YOU.

Room Tip: ASK FOR A SEA VIEW ROOM but definitely not room 314.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank diane l
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel takes you back a few years to the era of Miss Marple. It has a genteel character and is full of charm. It is as far from the modern chain hotels as you can get. The food is wonderful with a great menu and superb presentation. The staff are all very helpful and friendly. The location is great. If you want a hotel with some old-fashioned style, even down to afternoon tea on the terrace overlooking the sea, then this is for you. If you want bland intercontinental chain hotels then you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small but well equipped. Sea view rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank cligereen
Bicester
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked this via Groupon and it was so cheap we had to ask what the catch was, short answer nothing! If you want 5 star pay for it. The staff were poilite the room and surrounidng public areas clean and everyone was very helpful. I also read some of these reviews before going and thought it was going to be awful and it wasnt. It could do with some updating but for what they charge it is a bargain. I read one review left by someone who didnt even stay there and gave them 1 out of 5, so I am giving you 5 to make up for this as it isnt fair! For a good value, clean and comfortable stay go here its great for the price, in a fantastic location and the staff are really friendly. I will be returning through Groupon again thank you for an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JohnLoz
Sheffield

To all,
I made a reservation here through the Groupon deal for the week before easter this year. I made a telephone call to reserve my room and the correspondent was polite and helpful. This gave a good start to my expectations even though I had read the reviews of many others on this website.
On reaching there I was a little taken aback by the exteriors of the building but the lobby was well furnished (a style which does not appeal to me) and had a beautiful verandah seating overlooking the sea. We wished we were there when the weather was good.
We were checked in quickly and directed to our room. One does get the feeling of a family run hotel and if you look beyond the superficial decor and generic outlook, it does seem comfortable as the staff are very helpful and cheerful.
We were surprised by the breakfast standard, as the food tasted fresh and very filling as we were travelling around Llandudno all day. The bar surprisingly has a huge variety of spirits and liqueurs. Another addition to our surprise was the live singing performance by a cheerful young lady. She was doing requests too, so you don't have to sit amongst songs from the 70s or 80s.
Alright, the room can be much better, but for the low price I paid all I wanted was a good, clean bed and a clean bathroom which was both available. The TV was in working condition and the tea and coffee tray was neatly maintained and the cookies were delicious.
The hotel can update their guest information book to be a little more colourful and the exteriors can be redone but that's all upto the management. Overall value for money was great and the comfort was just appropriate. A great bargain for people who don't want to spend 24 hours in the hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask for a sea-view but it comes at an additional price.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple