“Good location, food and (most) staff”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 22 June 2012

'Value purchase' as a Groupon Voucher 'offer' for two nights' B&B with scone and jam afternoon snack: we added one dinner meal - great value discount if agreed on booking - of £12-50 per head for three courses. Remaining food (breakfasts) were largely self-serve buffet, but with the main hot dish (yes, it was!) ordered by the (extremely pleasant and well-spoken Spanish and East European staff) and delivered with a smile ! (They should teach the receptionist their smile: he needs the practice but, with a hotel full to the seams, perhaps it was understandable. Most staff seen - bar, coffee lounge, odd managers around - seemed pre-occupied rather than miserable, but it still looks like 'the troubles of the world' were on their shoulders.) Our room was at the back and overlooking the car-park (which always seemed full), though you CAN park on the promenade outside FREE from 1600 to 1000 a.m., i.e. overnight, and you are likely to be 'out' during the day, so why worry about a car-park? (Day parking is £4-00 for whole day from street coin-op machine, so NOT expensive.) Llandudno - in June - seemed to be 'opening up for the season' with some shops and booths on prom and pier still 'waking up', but plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops open though, like many towns in England, there were some empty and boarded-up business premises. Wet days: shopping malls were OK, rather than exciting. Dry sunny days, pay the toll (£2-50) and drive around the Great Orme coast road for fabulous views - to Puffin Island and Anglesey - then back into Llandudno. One absolute 'must' if you like singingers and singing: check out the choral evenbts on the bill-board on the promenade opposite the hotel: local churches offer choirs and instrumentalists many evenings at modest prices, and we had a great time with 'Chor Llandulas' and their energetic Harpist Conductor - knock-out performances in a beautiful church - St John's - with a lovely 'Charles Wesley was here' stained-glass window thrown in - very good evening for two, and change from £20. Enjoy your visit - try the local fish and chips, choirs - and yes, if you are on a budget - do try the Amassador - a modest but perfectly-adequate sea-front hotel, and spend a little extra on a sea-view room if you intend spending much time looking out...........

Room Tip: Sea views cost extra - but rear views across the town (and car-park) to the Great orme hill are spec...

Reviewed 19 June 2012

This hotel is in desperate need of HELP. They should get in touch with the "Hotel Inspector"
First impressions from the outside are not too bad until you park in the side street and look at the dilapidated section above the dining room which looks appalling
It gets worse when you have checked in and made your way - through the dining room- past the kitchen - to the lift. It states that this takes a maximum of 3 people. Two thin people is a squeeze and when you press the button the lift jerks abruptly giving you a fright. Entering our room - 317- was like going back in time. Multi coloured, floral, threadbare (in parts)carpet with a greyish looking floral duvet cover on the bed. The pillow cases were even more grey looking! However, we were on a KGB deal and didn't expect to get a room with a view of the sea for the charge - £89 for 2 nights.Had we have been paying the voucher value of £311 we would have demanded a refund and left.
When we retired to bed on the first night we were wishing that we had left. The bed was a very small double, with a worn mattress that dipped in the middle, and it felt as if you were lying on a board. We may have had a small amount of sleep but woke up with severe aching bones. I would suggest that either the Hotel Owner or one of the management team tries to sleep in this bed before subjecting any more guests to the torture. The bathroom was also very small with cracked tiles.
Breakfast was adequate though only served from 8.15 - 9.15 am. Staff were pleasant but a little indifferent.
The KGB deals are a great way to try out different establishments and in most cases we would be happy to visit again and pay the normal rate. However we wouldn't consider a return visit to this hotel.

3  Thank JasperStoke_on_Trent
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay, but on arrival I was disappointed that there was no room in the car park despite having booked a place. Mind you - the car park is very small! The hotel needs to be updated and refreshed. The tablecloth in the dining room wasn't changed for two days! Meals were acceptable. Room was clean, but the lift only works going up! The staff were pleasant.

3  Thank Welshy60
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Booked deal via kgb deals,for myself hubby,dad & sister who is recovering from cancer & break for my dad giving we are approaching the 1st yrs anniversary of her passing on the 15th june. It was the jubilee wkend & ibked 2 nights. When I rang to make the resivations 2wks prior I explained I was disabled & was a wheelchair user & wanted to know if they were disable friendly & explained needed shower room etc was reasurred my needs would be met etc & booked.on arrival after trying to find car park ! Then was informed when you book you need to book a space as there are only 9 spaces & they charge £3.85 a day ! Gladly being a blue badge user found a space with no charge near by !my 1st complaint as I told the un aproachable man with attidude @ the reception I should of been informed of this given my quiery when booking giving my disability ! I was informed was on the 2nd floor with sea view rooms ! Was asked to sign form 4 the 3 rooms bked that if keys were lost would have to pay £25 ! Ok fair ! Went to rooms in lift & omg what a dump hole ! Even the seagulls left their mark on the dirty windows ! Went bk to reception to complain ! Gave me 2 more choices best out of 2 was on 3rd floor ! Then discovered the lift didn't go 2 that floor coz it was broken ! U had 2 go 2 the 2nd floor 2 get the lift up to the 3rd 2 get down ! 1st health & safety issue of many to reveal ! I went to complain by this time it was way after 7pm !& giving my hubby was diabetic needed to sort asap ! Then found out the lifts are turned off @ midnight due to health & saftey issues ! And also their is no one manning the reception from midnight until 8am in the morning ! So I informed him giving there was quiet a few people @ the hotel with walking difficulties etc & felt health & safety issues are being breached ! He then stated a mr !! Who is well in his 80s is disabled & been coming here for yrs ! He never made eye contact & was walking around the reception doing things ! In other words was not intrested in any issues was addressing ! So I told him I was goin to find alternative accomidation as was appauled & angry with issues surrounding peoples health & saftey whether disabled or not ! & told him wanted a full refund ! He told me I would have to return in the morning as he did not have the facilitities to do that ! Although it stated deputy manager on his badge !another fob off ! I felt like mary & joseph knockin & ringing hotels 4 rooms & sadly giving bh wkend ! Was no where we went 2 get something to eat as by this time was 9pm & giving my sis health & my own felt we had no option but 2 stay the nyt with reluctance & in hope nothing would happen ! With a couple of hrs sleep & scratchin was up crack of light ! Pulled sheets back & omg ! Poo stains ! Pee !mucus all over radiators ! Stains gallore all over pillows !have pics 2 evidence ! No wonder was scratching !the only way them mattresses met health & safety was it had lable for fire safety & dated built for the 1990s ! So 20+ yrs of poo & pee & god knows what else on them ! Lets not forget the springs comming out ! I rang the reception asap & asked them 2 come to my room asap they did & boy what a conversation ! Never refused to return the money ! He also said if house keepers don't tell them then they can not do anything about changing them ! But looking over tripadvicer reviews this as been going on for yrs & they cba or intrested bar taking your money ! It didn't take long me getting out that room ! But before took more pics to forward to who ever I need to get this flee pit shut down as is major major health & saftey issues there ! Even hare & hound would not advertice this place for pet friendly accomidation ! It was laughable how it displayes 3 stars ! Haha the cheek to display if you wish your tea & coffee to be replenished you have to pay ! The hairdryer ! Lookes like a vacume for yer car when 1st invented !toilet roll dispenser ! Batheroom yer couldn't swing a cat in ! If you are hard of hearing is a note to put on the outsidE of yer room case there is a fire ! Yet there is no one on the premises during the night ! & on a card in the room it states if there is a medical emergancy during the early hours you have to go down to the main hall press 0 for assistance ! & you would have to knock another guest up if able to help & answer the door for dr etc ! Stated all this but not intrested ! Shame on the familyrun buisness getting run into the sewer by people who they employ who don't give a hoot bout customer service & very doubtful they would stay in such a hovel ! Time I got to reception I was handed a reciept of refund & laughable which stated on it customer not present to varify signiture !! Guess was for reasons above being stated in ear view of other customers who had been adviced from many complaints were in full flow ! Never ever have I stayed in a place nor would I ever want to again like this ! The only place iv never looked over reviews before staying ! Iv purchased a few deals online & have been fab & staff been lovely ! But omg not here ! Needs fumigating the works totaly disgusting all clothing took I had to boil wash seperate from other laundry & scrubbed myself red as soon as entered my home & adviced my dad & sis to do so ! Never ever stay ere guys defo not 1 for the bucket list ! Only the bucket then burn ! X

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank Andreajoan1986
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in this lovely hotel, the Richmond Suite is a lovely large room with spa bath, and fantastic views, the hotel is a bit tired but has a charm about it. Its a good value for money break and I would use it again except for the staff. Firstly the good, Simon the General Manager is fantastic, he cant do enough for you will sort problems out straight away I cant praise him enough. Unfortunately the same cant be said about the rest of the management team. We had a problem with a guest in the room next to us getting sick in the middle of the night, the poor chap was very confused and was banging on his radiator to attract attention, I called the duty night porter, he couldnt have been ruder, it was as if he was cross at being woken. He agreed to call an ambulance but left us with the guest rather than coming down to deal with himself. he only came down after a second call to demand his presence. The evening manager was rude and unhelpful. We had booked a car parking space and asked for one of the larger spaces, on arrival found this was taken rather than any apology or attempt to rectify the attitude was "Tough what do you expect me to do".

It is a shame as we really love this hotel, the position of it the old world charm and the Richmond suite but the rudeness of the staff has put me off going again.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for one of the spa rooms the views are fantastic.
2  Thank Peter A
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We had a groupon deal to this hotel in May and just had to tell you about it!!
The Hotel itself needs a lot of updating and cleaning and plenty of tlc to return it to its former glory.
It is in a great position on the promenade and could be so much better.
However, the good points were the staff. They were all very good and polite, especially the restaurant staff.
The food was good according to my husband, but for me as a vegetarian the choice wasn't good and I had salad both nights we were there.
Breakfast was ok though.
It didn't ruin our visit to Llandudno though, we still had a good time as we were out each day.

Room Tip: maybe ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara R
Reviewed 9 June 2012

my wife and i stayed at the ambassador in february 2012 we did not like the room we had been given had had a word at reception they where bang on and gave us a sea view room at no extra cost. staff where all superb, and the breakfasts are a treat .
we returned to the ambassador, again in may once again on a groupon just for a couple of nights,the room we where allotted was room 114 the beds where solid as a rock,
I went down to reception who where very obliging and we where offered the choice of 2 more rooms we accepted the first one room 111 this is a street room with a bay window over looking the bay, very comfortable beds and 2 armchairs to sit and watch tellie.
so good we booked an extra night. the staff food and hotel all get 10/10 from us we shall return later this year

Room Tip: some rooms are superb if you dont like what you get don,t gripe on here have a word with reception i...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple