“not good”

Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Oldham, United Kingdom
“not good”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

we have just come back from 2 nts at the Ambassodor, with friends, and was very disappointed , we asked for a table for 4, and was told 2 of us had to sit at one table and the other two had to sit at another table at the other side of the room for our evening meal , at breakfast next morning our friends and us just sat down at a table for 4 and was told to move to the table we had for dinner, we had a few words with the waitress , told her we had booked together and we wanted to sit together for our meals, she was quite rude and made us move on separate tables. we went to reception to complain, the receptionist was really helpful and promised us a table the next night, which we got , and happy . My other complaint was the lift, I have never known a Hotel to shut the lift down at 12 clock at night , if your not back at the hotel for 12 at night you have to climb the stairs , in my case on all fours I have bad knees , we was on the top floor ( 3rd ) there was 6 flights of stairs to climb , I was in a really bad way when I got to the top, the reason for shutting the lift down at 12 was health & safety , never heard so much rubbish, The only thing going for this Hotel is the location, and I 'm sorry to say I will not be back , and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: get a room on the ground floor , lift shut down 12 o clock
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rita D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just spent two nights at the Ambassador with my husband, son and daughter-in-law, daughter and son-in-law and two-year-old grandson (his first real experience of seaside!). Although the hotel is a bit dated and it was a long trek up to our room on third floor (3 flights of stairs or a tiny rickety lift), we had a great time and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. Location is brilliant - on the sea front, weather was fab, and we had the break we had imagined celebrating 'grandad's' 70th birthday. The deal price we got through KGB was fantastic! It would be nice to think the hotel might get a facelift soon but it did for us! Breakfasts were delicious and plentiful and varied. We enjoyed ourselves!

Room Tip: Third floor is a bit of a trek!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christy279
cheshire
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I agree with Lee S and their review. We also paid via a Wowcher Deal which included the 'Afternoon Tea' - huge disappointment (I also was expecting the full 'Afternoon Tea Experience') - value scones and squirty cream, I agree the bucks fizz did seem like fanta or britvic 55. Although the biggest disappointment was the room, you could feel the springs through the mattress, the duvet cover was so faded it was almost white, the pillows were old and smelt. The carpet was stained and old fashioned as was the bedroom furniture and the bed valance was stained with coffee I think!.But the en-suite was the worst we have ever seen and we agreed that Pontin's value accommodation was far better (and that is saying something!!!!). When we say it was an en-suite, it wasn't really it was a toilet with the smallest shower behind the toilet that we have ever seen, not only that but it was also filthy with black mold, it didn't look as if it had been cleaned for a good few years inside. But the what amazed us the most was that the sink was in the bedroom so couldn't really call it an en-suite there also wasn't anywhere to put toiletries. Overall the Hotel is very very dated with lots of rules and regulations- the Bar area is probably the best room, we did think about upgrading our room but when we looked into other rooms as we were passing we could see that they didn't seem any better.Good job we had good weather - we certainly won't be returning to the Ambassador and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Llandudno is lovely though.

Room Tip: Don't think their are any 'good rooms' try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArtyCheshire

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I feel I have to pipe up and write a review about this hotel. I got this for a birthday present(yes it was a Wowcher deal) and we upgraded to a deluxe room. When we arrived at the hotel the guy on reception seemed friendly enough. We plodded on up to our “deluxe room” and disappointed was an understatement. It was tiny, smelly and in no way deluxe. My girlfriend went to ask reception if the room was upgraded and the receptionist told her basically it meant it had a sea view window(side view by the way).

Next complaint is the staff. There was one young girl who was brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Unfortunately I do not know her name. The rest though I found the rude and most of their could bearly grasp basic English.

Complaint number 3. The “Afternoon Tea”. I believe Afternoon Tea consists of – Tea, Scones, Cakes and sandwiches. Cream Tea is tea and a scone. This “Afternoon Tea” seemed to be missing the cakes and the sandwiches…. Unless you paid extra. The scones FYI must have been Tesco’s extra value scones as well.

I appreciate that seaside hotels cannot afford to be as spectacular as they were probably 30 years ago nowadays, but there are still certain standards that should be met. Even if it was a Wowcher deal(I looked online line – this deal should have been £285 for 2 nights if booked through hotel !!!!!!) This hotel was very dated. (Even the bed sheets looked 20 years old) The staff were rude and the food I tried was poor.

Apart from all day that I have to say Llandudno is a lovely place and will definitely be coming again. Just not here unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lee S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of July on a wowcher deal. In the rooms the mattress was non existent, shower didn't work so had to use one in another room! It was fixed though. My main disappointment though was the afternoon tea we got rubbish smart price scones with skirts creamdespite lovely big ones on display I think the bucks fizz was Fanta! I recommend putting a little more effort in to entice people to come back! Highlight was seeing James Blunt at Venue Cymru! Now that was brilliant!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Anna C
South East England
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a pleasant stay and it was good value. However a towel rack falling off the wall is not acceptable in the cheapest of B and Bs. The temperature of the breakfast room and the quality of the ingredients are easy to remedy. The reception staff were very helpful but are just 'papering over the cracks' of under investment. Surely the concept of 'wowcher deals is to advertise the hotel and encourage people to come back at a proper rate and to get clients on 'cheap' deals to spend money on dinners, drinks, etc. Unfortunately after the first breakfast I was not prepared to risk dinner and I am certainly not going back at £95 a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Conqueror17
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Like many we had a 2 night break at a great price, maybe we got lucky with the room which had the best sea views from the top floor. Staff were all great and the little lift was an adventure each time we used it !

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gronwen spa room on the top floor, I think you would normally have to pay a little...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple