“Dog-friendly chick and wonderful”

Characters Tea House and Hot Stone Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 211 Restaurants in Llandudno
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Characters Teahouse and Hot Stone Restaurant. A secret to be found. Tucked away in a side street we are not easy to find. But when you do you are in for a big surprise. We are different to say the least..You could say quirky and you would be right. Old second hand china, cups, saucers, plates, glasses, furniture etc all bought from charity shops and completely mismatched giving the place character and ambiance hence the name Characters. Food is wholesome and unpretentious ,soups, sandwiches, hand made cakes & scones of different flavours forming the basis of our now famous Afternoon Tea. Accompanied by proper loose leaf tea & coffee of your choice we are open daytime 11am to 4pm Monday to Saturday. In the evening Friday & Saturday serving from 6.30pm to 8.00pm our also famous "Steak on the Stone" Accompanied by "Bring your Own" wine, beer or champagne. Whenever you decide to visit you will be greeted with a big welcome from the staff & management of this lovely family run restaurant..hopefully see you soon. Characters Team
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Found this place on here, almost 200 excellent reviews is good going. Friendly staff, gorgeous little coffee shop- would love one like that on my street!serving delicious home made scones and cakes, afternoon tea and dinners. Well recommended. Excellent customer service too.

2  Thank LoveNewcastleUK

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My friends surprised me by taking me for tea here for my birthday. The staff had so kindly agreed to squeeze them in despite being really busy. My friends said the staff seemed more excited about the surprise than they were- they kept nipping outside to see if I was coming, and were really buzzing about the whole thing, which was so lovely.
We all had the VIP tea and it was incredible. The cakes and sandwiches were delicious, and there was a great range to choose from. We can particularly recommend the carrot cake, and the coronation chicken, and salmon and cream cheese sandwiches. However, it was unanimously agreed that the stars of the show were the scones, so soft and tasty and again the choices were brilliant- plain, fruit, chocolate chip, ginger... I had the turkish delight one which was the most amazing scone I've ever had.
Throughout our whole visit the staff were attentive, friendly, chatty, offered to take pictures for us- it is honestly the best service I have ever experienced.
Everyone must visit this fantastic place.

1  Thank BunnyMan11
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visiting my girlfriends home time in Llandudno, she decided to treat me for my birthday and take me to Characters. Well, all I can say is wow.

Never have I experienced such a lovely and quirky atmosphere, with friendly staff and out of this world food. Well presented, amazing tastes and plenty of it! You can also take your own drink so a bottle of wine later and thoroughly relaxed in our environment, you really couldn't ask for more.

Go. Experience it. You will not regret it.

1  Thank Jon H
Reviewed 29 June 2014

What a fantastic place! Have been to Characters for coffee and cake in the day time and in the evening for dinner. Just can't fault it, the atomsphere, the staff, the ambience and the food especially the cheese platter! Just a shame we had to vacate Characters at 1030pm could have sat for longer just chilling and chatting. Thank you so much to you all at Characters we had a lovely evening. See you soon!

1  Thank Georgie O
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Characters does teas and on Friday and Saturday nights meals. We had been told it was wonderful during the day but different and according to taste superb in the evening. There is only one sitting in the evening and it closes promptly at 10:30pm.

We booked to celebrate my wife's birthday, choosing our main course (salmon and fillet steak) and then confirmed the booking in the week leading up to the night. You can take your own wine (we should have taken a second bottle!)

The main course is served on a hot lava stone with the meat uncooked. By slicing the meat thinly you get both meat cooked to personal taste and still baking hot even at the end of the meal - we just hate eating tepid food that should be hot. The food was brilliant and with the quirky layout and tableware we had a superb evening. We even joined a couple at the next table for a glass of wine as we had ogled their cheese board.

This was an evening with a difference and ought to be savoured like a good wine rather than just another meal out. A tad expensive but for a special evening well worth it.

We shall be back with friends for what we anticipate to be an excellent thoroughly excellent evening.

I am told the afternoon teas are to die for, too.

1  Thank David M