“Don't go there!!”
Review of Elsinore Hotel

Elsinore Hotel
Ranked #60 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We went down to Llandudno from Manchester for a weekend trip and booked online via laterooms.com. Since we were on a budget, we chose this place and thought, "well, it doesn't have to be nice as we'll be outside anyway, just clean." Which it wasn't.
Upon arrival, we found the hotel, a once beautiful but now really tired looking building, locked up and had to ring/knock/wait for about an hour until finally the maid/cook/all-in-one-hotel-staff-person opened (a very friendly but rather run down Lady with a cigarette on who didn't really speak English). Inside, we had to wait for the manager who had us pay for our room, then the chambermaid/cook took us upstairs to our room, which turned out to be a total disgrace. The furniture was partly broken (the headboard of the bed was just a mock-up), the bathroom was tiny damp and mouldy and had carpeting on the floor (eew!), there was no toilet paper, but some squashed old cakes of soap in the shower that hadn't been cleaned in ages. The blankets had both dark and light stains on them...and smelled used. This grossed us off so we tried to get new ones but no hotel staff could be found until the next morning. We threw the blankets on the floor in the hope of getting new ones for the next night, but instead we found the same dirty blankets nicely folded on our bed again, plus some cigarette ashes on the pillows. During the night some drunk kids had torn down the curtains in the corridors, nobody cared to put them up again which was quite symptomatic for the whole place. Full English breakfast was served by the poor chambermaid/cook in a silly chambermaid costume while the manager and his wife stood in a corner with their arms crossed scrutinising her which was quite an odd situation. The breakfast was halfway decent still we chose to eat somewhere else the next morning. The eating area looked like an 60ies style old peoples home...I could go on forever. Just don't go there.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank miepmiep

Reviewed 1 August 2009

stayed at this hotel with my teenage daughter, we had a twin room, and both had double beds. The room was a very large room with en suite bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and clean and fresh. The full english breakfast was lovely and well presented, and plenty of it. The location is fantastic, rite in the centre of everything. It was a very relaxed and friendly atomoshere. The management were wonderful, very freindly and welcoming. excellent value for money. Definately will be going back. This hotel is on the promande and other hotels on the prom charge per person per night, the Elsinore charges per room and costs less than half than the others charge. People who critise this hotel obv want a big posh hotel at a cheap rate. You get at this hotel exactly what it states,,,, Bed and Breakfast , clean beds and a excellent breakfast, and friendly management and staff at an excellent price. If people want to be fussy, go and pay the stupid amount of money that other hotels charge, for exactly the same service you get at the Elsinore. We Loved it . Thanks, from Jacqui and Jade

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Have used tripadvisor to look at reviews but on this occasion was a last min decision o stay away for the night, my first mistake !!!! Hotel was disgusting, in hindsight should have turned right around and just left the building, but as my bank details had already been taken, thought they would take the money anyway.
Would say the hotel was a hostel not a hotel, the man who greets you at reception was very rude, certainly had never watched the hotel inspector. Hotel smelt of mothballs, wires hanging from the ceiling, could go on and on, but the point is just do not stay here, should not be allowed to trade as a hotel to tourists. Just to note, the photo on the website must be at least 10 years old, hotel does not look like the picture now. Dont be fooled.

1  Thank shanti00
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I always check tripadvisor when booking a hotel but on this occasion I didn't as last minute, what a mistake. First room offered to us was 210 I wish I'd taken a photograph; there was a double wardrobe completely blocking the window. Not that there was a view when you managed to get to the window. When we asked for another room the owner said he only had one left and we wouldn't like that one either. However, we took the second room on the top floor - similar state to other reviews - wires out of the ceiling, shower head that constantly moved around when you try to take a shower. Breakfast was obviously cooked at least 15 mins ahead of it being required. Do yourself a favour don't stay here,it's a complete rip off, more like a hostel than a hotel and I don't mean a youth hostel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank BernieWirral
Reviewed 28 July 2009

we stayed here it was not a good experience glad we only stayed one night, the cooked breckfast was precooked and cold,it needs a lot doing to it the bathroom did nt look like in the picture verry basic,there was gum on the wall needs a good ove hall

1  Thank northwalestilly
Reviewed 20 July 2009

most depressing drab place i have ever had the misfortune to stay in.the glass ,on pictures on the walls were smashed red wires hung from the ceilings,mattress badly stained,curtains hung down and come off tracks,somebodies chewing gum stuck to bedroom wall,never slept a wink,breakfast luke warm and horrid.....need i go on ,wouldnt go back there if they paid me ....dreadfull place

1  Thank funkymonkey64
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I agree with my ten year old daughter, we stayed one night and had we not just done snowdon and very tired we wouldnt have stayed the night. The room smelt badly of stale smoke, the window was cracked and wouldnt shut properly and lead straight onto the fire escape which didnt leave feeling me or my daughter were in the safest place , the beds definatley had fleas we had the bites to prove it !!!!!!! the bathroom was even worse the shower door was broken and dont think it had seen a cleaner in years the toilet was filthy and the sink in a worse state than the toilet I didnt even allow my daughter to have a wash or put her toothebrush in the bathroom we bought bottled water to brush our teethe the nicest thing about the room was the decorative electrical wires hanging from the ceilings and walls as they looked clean .
The breakfast looked edible but we didnt take the risk , The hotel itself looked like it was set up for aggie n maggie to go in .
I was actually worried that if we sat there long enough we get a housing benefit cheque and a social fund loan it was more like a hostel for the homeless . but all credit to the staff they worked for about an hour a day when they served breakfast and were really good at taking money before you saw the room and only accepted cash mmmmmmmm that just about said it all .
It did cross my mind that I was over the top until I nipped over the corridor to the room my friend and her eleven year old granddaughter were staying and soon realised I wasnt exaggerating she wouldve had the best sea view ever if was able to see out of the windows .
Anyway on a more positive note we had a fantastic time in wales and we had something to laugh about on the way home

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends