“Go elsewhere!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Go elsewhere!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Myself and a friend have just returned from a coach trip with sunrise hoildays.After being to many budget coach trips I have never been glad to be home,The coach driver and his partner were the ones who made our hoilday and wales as it is a lovely place to visit.
Now to the hotel itself.For a grand uk hotel it has to be one of the worst all mainly down to the managers.I have never been made to feel so unwanted and unwelcomed before to any hotel.and that reason is because of our ages.we are in our late 30s.A guy called des who seemed to do everything in the hotel was so rude(other guests said the same)esp at our meal times..shouting at my friend like a child to sit down!I even had to go else where and eat one night as i felt uneasy eating there.but he seamed to allways smile and be polite to the older guests!anyway the only good thing he did do was get the telly fixed for us as it was not working when we arrived.
Apart from the managers(who should be retrained in customer service),the staff(lack off) were nice,the chef did a great job and made great food and it was allways hot and the service was quick but breakfast was OK!apart from you could not help yourself to cerel ect..
As for the rooms they need a good lick of paint and a good clean.The maids did their best.some peoples showers were rubbish hardly any hot water or any coming out.The.tvs were old.curtains thin and my friends mattress had a hole in!oh and rooms were sooooooo hot.
I have to say thank you to the guy we had on sat night he was so funny!
For what we paided it was ok,but if i had gone on my own and not with a coach trip then I would of walked straight out as in the same area you can get a nice b and b for 20 pound!
As One of the guests said its more like The Grand ash hostel!run down in most places and staff smoking outside esp des the manager!
Its a shame I have had to write a bad review but Grand uk Hoildays need to sort this hotel out
Sorry but I would not return again!

Room Tip: Dont book in first place!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank roseriddles
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay with us.

I was naturally most upset to learn that you had an unsatisfactory stay and certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations and I would like to begin by saying that we do take complaints such as these very seriously

I was very sorry to read that you felt that some of the staff at the hotel we off hand and unfriendly. Needless to say this is not what we expect of our team and they have all been reminded that it is very important to ensure that guests are made to feel welcome at all times.

I really was very sorry to read your comments regarding the overall décor of the Grand Ash, we agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

As a non smoker myself I do take your point about people smoking outside the hotel on board
and I agreed that we can make no excuse for the fact that staff members were smoking outside the hotel and this clearly is not acceptable.
I must assure you that the staff members involved have been severely reprimanded and this will not happen again. To this end I can only offer my sincere and genuine apology for this.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and we are sorry that you do not feel able to return to us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
leicester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

After booking this hotel as a place to rest our heads and enjoy a wedding on the Saturday it was not as it should have been after a fair journey to this hotel we were greeted by two gentlemen on reception and given keys to our room when we entered our room on the second floor I had that horrible feeling of OH MY GOD the room was dull and dismal with a radiator that was fixed to the wall like a 1 in 10 hill the bathroom towel rail was loose and patches of damp sea lent around the bath but OK its a place to rest your head so of we event in to llandudno for a walk and decided we would eat later at the hotel well sorry it gets no better £ 16.99 four course each we both wish we had got a bag of chips the meal was tasteless and bland no other word can or could describe it breakfast was eatable but would have been better cooked fresh all in all we felt let down and was relieved to head to our net hotel in phewelli oh this was an exceptional place and cheaper

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank robin b
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was very sorry to read your comments and to learn that you did not find the Grand Ash to be to your liking. We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Many thanks

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

My single room was probably the worst hotel room I have ever had . Very small and dark with a reject wardrobe from Ikea, with ill fitting doors and a cracked mirror, worn and ill fitting carpet, bed linen that was never meant for the bed it covered and a stained hand towel. I had to climb up a flight of stairs to reach the ensuite that was no better. The twin room my two sons shared was slightly better, but they too were not impressed. There were 2 good points. The old gentleman who seemed to be doing every job in the hotel sole handedly coped very well and we could not fault the breakfast . The rest was rubbish!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room that has been refurbished !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank David L
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 28 August 2013

It was disappointing to hear that the Grand Ash Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

On a more positive note, I shall pass on your comments to Des and also to the Chef.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

Wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay in Llandudno at the Grand Ash Hotel. We read many negative comments and some good ones before we went but this is our opinion. No there is no parking but that goes for 80% of hotels in Llandudno. There is plenty of pay and display parking and you only have to pay between 10am and 4pm, there is limited free parking as a lot of the people who work in Llandudno bag these spaces first but you can usually get a space after 5pm and then just leave your car there for the week. Use a bus, a tram a train or even your feet, have a beer in the middle of the day and don't worry about driving - you're on holiday. As for the hotel, we stayed in room 22 and the shower was poor, if you are over 5 feet tall you had to bend to get under it and the taps on the sink didn't match but although tired the room was cleaned every day and we had clean towels. The bedroom had plenty of storage space and the TV had every freeview channel. The breakfast was 4 courses and the evening meal was 5 courses and every meal was superb, the staff were really friendly and Des, bless him was waiter and receptionist as well as assistant manager. We would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmandaWakefield
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Rob, Des and the Hotel Team who will be pleased to read them.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Please be assured that your constructive comments have been taken on board and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Camberley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This room was very sub standard to say the least with loose wires running around the side of the beds.
The furniture was of such poor quality {wobbly, chipped and unsafe} especially the bedside cabinet with the Kettle and tea tray on. The only place it was all fit for was a skip. The whole room was drab and dreary with very little light save for a small amount through the fire exit door that had wired glass which meant you needed a light on all the time. The plumbing noises throughout the night and day left a lot to be desired and hampered your sleep. It is in need of a good quality refurbishment and pretty quick.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank susan s
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was very sorry to read your comments and to learn that you did not find the Grand Ash to be to your liking. We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of how immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Thank you once again for your comments, please be assured that these have been taken on board.

great yarmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

the location is excellent,hotel food and service good but the the hotel itself is in very bad need of a makeover.3 as soon as possible.the hotel itself is avery large and nice building but all the rooms and fittings are in dire need of updating.we changed rooms but the second one was no better than the first. first room was a box room at the back of the hotel second was at front more space but décor no better.the shower units in both rooms were disgusting . the OTEL IS A VERY LARGE AND NICE BUILDING BUT ALL THE ROOMS AND FITTINGS ARE IN DIRE NEED OF UPDATING. WE CHANGED ROOM BUT THE SECOND ONE WAS NO BETTER THAN THE FIRST. FIRST ROOM WAS LIKE A BOX AT THE BACK OF HOTEL,SECOND WAS AT FRONT LARGER BUT STILL NEEDED PAPER AND PAINTING SHOWERS IN BOTH ROOMS DISCUSTING.NO AIR CON AT ALL.

Room Tip: no comment.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank michael y
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 23 July 2013

We pride ourselves on the level of service provided and I was pleased to see that your comments are reflective of this.

great yarmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Reading various negative reviews, I just do not think it is fair. A budget Hotel, yes, dated, yes, but the staff and the quality of food more than compensate for this. The old adage you get for you pay for, well at the Grand Ash I honestly believe you get more than you pay for. I again say honestly I have stayed in much better rated hotels and the food was not on a patch of the Ash.
Rooms small but clean, bedding clean.Coffee tea etc, might be handy if they build a swimming pool, but you cannot have everything.!!!
All in all have no problems in recommending this hotel for an excellent break.
Any Hotel will only work if the staff are interested in what they do, they are!! well done.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tonemar
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Rob and his team who will be pleased to read them.

We believe that we offer value for money compared with other hotels in Llandudno and were pleased to see that you found this to be the case. We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and we have an ongoing maintenance programme for this, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Thank you once again for your comments and we do hope that you will be able to stay with us again at some point in the future.