“magical mystery tour with surprise”
Review of The Grand Ash

The Grand Ash
Ranked #59 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

After a long day traveling we were introduced to Anna our tour manager for the weekend, she explained about the hotel. We entered the hotel and made our way into the lounge.
the hotel manager whose name I have forgotten went through some health and safety checks he was very informative.

We picked up our Key's from the reception now most hotel work on the principal of if you have key 10 that would the first floor key 20 second floor etc, the grand ash works slightly diffently that the key numbers don't correspond to the floor's which I loved specially being a magical mystery tour.

Found my room and to my surprise it was a twin room very homely, it was quite cold in the room despite th e heating being on I guess the heating might have just come on.
Went to the bathroom very clean and tidy and the hot water came through very quickly.
The only negative was the adaptor for the plugs (easy remandey) small gripe.

Went into the dinning room for evening meal a little bit of a wait for food but there is a coach full of people,the menu was a 3 course multi choice the food was plentiful with good taste.

This is my first night of three but I was so impressed with the manager sorry forgetting your name Anna and the staff I had to leave feedback.

Thank you Grand UK for introducing me the Grand Ash

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank cliveu_11
Gemma A, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at our Hotel as part of the Grand UK Magical Mystery Tour.

It is very nice to learn that you enjoyed our hospitality shown at The Grand Ash and your comments will be passed on to the General Manager to share with his team.

Your feedback is most important to us and would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 October 2013

This a hotel that has good value for Llandudno. It is almost in the center of town and close to all the sights. The room was comfortable and nothing needed repair. There is a lift so no need to lug bags up the stairs. Breakfast was good and served in a timely manner. Parking is on the street which may be difficult early in the day, but by mid afternoon there are places to park. The hotel caters to bus tours, so dining may be crowded. I was apprehensive of staying there due to the other reviews, but found it comfortable and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rich_RT_12
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is nice to get complementary comments along with the constructive comments and it was pleasing to read you had enjoyed your stay at the Grand Ash

Once again many thanks.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Booked this for my my wife and me to have a little break and do some walking. Booked without reading the reviews, what a fool!! I can confirm that the hotel is very dated and is in need of major refurbishment, if you like taking cold showers in the morning then this is the place for you. When I asked what the problem was I was told that due to the large coach party all the hot water had been used up, however the hotel was closing the next week to have a new storage tank fitted. I doubt this was the case as they were busy putting up some rather shabby Christmas decorations as we booked out. Oh by the way be prepared to pay cash as it would appear the card machine was broken and the "part" was always about to be delivered but never seemed to arrive. The room was clean but oh my does it need some renovation work. The girls do a fair job keeping it clean so well done them. The young blond girl who waited on us at breakfast the first 2 days looked totally out of place as she was smiley, pleasant and a joy to be served by, she is definitely wasted here! The breakfast was acceptable so well done Chef. I will not let this experience put me off visiting Llandudno in the future as we have been several times before but one thing is certain we will not stay at the Grand Ash even if they paid us.

Room Tip: Don't be surprised if you are disturbed by strnage noises and that is not just from the so calle...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank DrekH

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

The installation of the new hot water tank is due to be installed to sort out the hot water issues.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Myself and a friend have just returned from a coach trip with sunrise hoildays.After being to many budget coach trips I have never been glad to be home,The coach driver and his partner were the ones who made our hoilday and wales as it is a lovely place to visit.
Now to the hotel itself.For a grand uk hotel it has to be one of the worst all mainly down to the managers.I have never been made to feel so unwanted and unwelcomed before to any hotel.and that reason is because of our ages.we are in our late 30s.A guy called des who seemed to do everything in the hotel was so rude(other guests said the same)esp at our meal times..shouting at my friend like a child to sit down!I even had to go else where and eat one night as i felt uneasy eating there.but he seamed to allways smile and be polite to the older guests!anyway the only good thing he did do was get the telly fixed for us as it was not working when we arrived.
Apart from the managers(who should be retrained in customer service),the staff(lack off) were nice,the chef did a great job and made great food and it was allways hot and the service was quick but breakfast was OK!apart from you could not help yourself to cerel ect..
As for the rooms they need a good lick of paint and a good clean.The maids did their best.some peoples showers were rubbish hardly any hot water or any coming out.The.tvs were old.curtains thin and my friends mattress had a hole in!oh and rooms were sooooooo hot.
I have to say thank you to the guy we had on sat night he was so funny!
For what we paided it was ok,but if i had gone on my own and not with a coach trip then I would of walked straight out as in the same area you can get a nice b and b for 20 pound!
As One of the guests said its more like The Grand ash hostel!run down in most places and staff smoking outside esp des the manager!
Its a shame I have had to write a bad review but Grand uk Hoildays need to sort this hotel out
Sorry but I would not return again!

Room Tip: Dont book in first place!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank roseriddles
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay with us.

I was naturally most upset to learn that you had an unsatisfactory stay and certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations and I would like to begin by saying that we do take complaints such as these very seriously

I was very sorry to read that you felt that some of the staff at the hotel we off hand and unfriendly. Needless to say this is not what we expect of our team and they have all been reminded that it is very important to ensure that guests are made to feel welcome at all times.

I really was very sorry to read your comments regarding the overall décor of the Grand Ash, we agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

As a non smoker myself I do take your point about people smoking outside the hotel on board
and I agreed that we can make no excuse for the fact that staff members were smoking outside the hotel and this clearly is not acceptable.
I must assure you that the staff members involved have been severely reprimanded and this will not happen again. To this end I can only offer my sincere and genuine apology for this.

Please be assured that your comments have been taken on board and we are sorry that you do not feel able to return to us again in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

After booking this hotel as a place to rest our heads and enjoy a wedding on the Saturday it was not as it should have been after a fair journey to this hotel we were greeted by two gentlemen on reception and given keys to our room when we entered our room on the second floor I had that horrible feeling of OH MY GOD the room was dull and dismal with a radiator that was fixed to the wall like a 1 in 10 hill the bathroom towel rail was loose and patches of damp sea lent around the bath but OK its a place to rest your head so of we event in to llandudno for a walk and decided we would eat later at the hotel well sorry it gets no better £ 16.99 four course each we both wish we had got a bag of chips the meal was tasteless and bland no other word can or could describe it breakfast was eatable but would have been better cooked fresh all in all we felt let down and was relieved to head to our net hotel in phewelli oh this was an exceptional place and cheaper

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank robin b
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I really was very sorry to read your comments and to learn that you did not find the Grand Ash to be to your liking. We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Many thanks

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My single room was probably the worst hotel room I have ever had . Very small and dark with a reject wardrobe from Ikea, with ill fitting doors and a cracked mirror, worn and ill fitting carpet, bed linen that was never meant for the bed it covered and a stained hand towel. I had to climb up a flight of stairs to reach the ensuite that was no better. The twin room my two sons shared was slightly better, but they too were not impressed. There were 2 good points. The old gentleman who seemed to be doing every job in the hotel sole handedly coped very well and we could not fault the breakfast . The rest was rubbish!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room that has been refurbished !
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank David L
Gemma A, Manager at The Grand Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

It was disappointing to hear that the Grand Ash Hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

On a more positive note, I shall pass on your comments to Des and also to the Chef.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay in Llandudno at the Grand Ash Hotel. We read many negative comments and some good ones before we went but this is our opinion. No there is no parking but that goes for 80% of hotels in Llandudno. There is plenty of pay and display parking and you only have to pay between 10am and 4pm, there is limited free parking as a lot of the people who work in Llandudno bag these spaces first but you can usually get a space after 5pm and then just leave your car there for the week. Use a bus, a tram a train or even your feet, have a beer in the middle of the day and don't worry about driving - you're on holiday. As for the hotel, we stayed in room 22 and the shower was poor, if you are over 5 feet tall you had to bend to get under it and the taps on the sink didn't match but although tired the room was cleaned every day and we had clean towels. The bedroom had plenty of storage space and the TV had every freeview channel. The breakfast was 4 courses and the evening meal was 5 courses and every meal was superb, the staff were really friendly and Des, bless him was waiter and receptionist as well as assistant manager. We would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmandaWakefield

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Rob, Des and the Hotel Team who will be pleased to read them.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Please be assured that your constructive comments have been taken on board and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards