“Othello's restaurant. So very bland” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cae Mor Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cae Mor Hotel
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Othello's restaurant. So very bland”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I tried this hotel on the recommendation of my friend, Ted Stocker and was really looking forward to finding another decent restaurant in the llandudno area to join the small number that we regularly use. I cannot of course comment on the hotel itself and our waitress was friendly and helpful. However, the food was utterly bland and tasteless as was the ambience of the restaurant itself. That applied to every course myself and my wife tried. I had checked the menu previously, but sadly none of the dishes I was looking forward to featured on the menu we were presented with. I did wonder whether they had had a change of chef. My judgement of good food is measured against my wife's cuisine in choosing to eat out. Admittedly she is a very good cook. However, this didn't even match my more humbler efforts. We will not be using Othello's again. It has light years to go before it can match Le Paysanne or the Seahorse or even the Empire or the Cottage Loaf and all of these are more competitive on price

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hopemole
CaeMorHotel_30, Manager at Cae Mor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your meal, I'm disappointed to read you did not enjoy your experience however as nothing was stated to my staff on the night I am unable to establish when you dined or what you ate so cannot do anything to rectify your complaint.
With regards to your comparisons to other local restaurants and your comment about us 'having light years' to go we feel this is grossly unfair as the views in your review are your personal ones and do not reflect the views of the 200 or so other customers we have served each week since the 'season started' how ever we accept you are entitled to your opinions.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
kingswinford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Our first visit to this event and really did not know what to expect except some connection to Victorian times and some kind of market.
Well where we in for a surprise.
The whole town was one gigantic fair ground. No Victorian Market but some entertainment along the promenade and in the town centre but not what we expected.
There was also a large transport exhibition held on three fields which was the best I had ever been to. Also the parade every day of steam traction engines and other vehicles.
As part of the weekend we decided to stay at the Cae Mor Hotel.
First impressions very good and the room we had with sea view was very large and comfortable.
The breakfasts where excellent and the staff very friendly and polite.
Dinner however turned out to be a disappointment due to the meat being hard and the vegetables cold.
However we would probably use the hotel again in the future as its location was ideal.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are great but the traffic noise may not suit light sleepers.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CaeMorHotel_30, Manager at Cae Mor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thanks for your review regarding your stay with us over the extravaganza weekend, I'm please you had an enjoyable time.
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

reading a review regarding room three in October I note your response that problems would be sorted during the winter, I can confirm that my partner has just returned after staying two nights in this room and basically nothing has changed and we are now into may. just to add there is a problem with the electric sockets blowing every time a hair dryer or phone charger is plugged in

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gerry60
CaeMorHotel_30, Manager at Cae Mor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you your comments concerning your partners stay with us recently, further to your comments regarding the October review I can confirm that the shelf in the room has been sanded and lacquered since that review as we stated we would do, unfortunately we can not place a full desk in the room due to the shape and layout of it.
Regarding the second pointed raised the original review about hole in the corner of the walk in wardrobe, this once again was repaired but it appears the fix has failed and the floor board in the corner under the shelf has dropped again. This will of course be rectified had we of spotted it sooner.
I was only aware of one occasion where the sockets tripped in the room.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Oh dear, where to start. The dining room is fine, but the chairs have deffinately seen better days, they look OK - but are not very comfortable.
My daughter and myself, decided that our meals rated about 6 out of 10. This is not great and we were a little disappointed, to say the least.
The big issue was my wife's starter and main course, without going into great detail, the meal was shockingly poor. What on earth happened in the kitchen, is beyond me.
I did not voice concern at the time, as I did not want to cause any embarrassment to my family. However, I did contact the Manager the next day.
It is such a shame as the hotel and restaurant are immediately next to the theatre.
We used to own and run a very successful hotel, so I like to think I have an idea of what is what.
I have no idea what the hotel is like, but you should consider giving the restaurant a miss.

Room Tip: Don't consider eating vegetarian
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyTravellers222
CaeMorHotel_30, Manager at Cae Mor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your review regarding the restaurant and your phone call to me the following day.
Whilst I appreciate your comments concerning your meal on the night I can assure you it is not indicative of our normal standard like so many diners enjoy. On this occasion we fell short of your expectations and as I said on the telephone I can only apologise
I do hope that you decide to dine with us again in the future.
astonflamville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just had a weekend in Lladudno organised by friends. A dreadful trip there with rain and traffic making it 6 hours! On arrival the Hotel was lovely. Bedroom spacious, bathroom and a dressing room. Tea / Coffee making facilities, room was very clean and the staff were so welcoming. Woke to sea views with clear blue skies, Bliss. This is an excellent hotel, breakfast was good, with ample choice. Car park meant no problems parking, but you are within easy walking distance of the town. Can't fault this hotel at all and would be only too happy to use it again. Thanks to the Cae Mor for making this a great trip!

Room Tip: Room 13 on 2nd floor had lovely sea views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CaeMorHotel_30, General Manager at Cae Mor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your review and positive comments, we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Booked the hotel for a family celebration. The booking arrangements were handled very efficiently. All the staff were helpful and friendly.
The quality of the food was excellent matched by the service. All my guests were complimentary about the service. An excellent weekend giving good value for money.

Room Tip: all sea view rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tedstocker
Thank you for your extremely positive review regarding your family celebration held with us. I'm pleased to see you had an enjoyable time and you found the food and service to be excellent and that your guests were complimentary.
Bethesda, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We did not stay at the Hotel but instead took advantage of its delightful Othello,s Restaurant.
The Hotel is next door to Venue Cymru and is an ideal place to eat a pre Theatre dinner.
There is an extensive Early Bird Menu on offer and is very realistically priced at only £12.50 for two courses.The food served was freshly cooked and looked and tasted delicious.The welcome was warm and inviting as was the service provided throughout Dinner.Would have no hesitation in recommending this excellent eatery

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iain S
Thank you for your review regarding the restaurant and your pre-theatre meal you had with us, we hope to welcome you back soon.