“Nicely situated”

Ranked #35 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Nicely situated”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is on the front and very near to the shops.There now is a ramp for disabled.Food was ok drinks are priced Same as my local pub.Swimming pool very good.my wife and I traveled with Shearings was extremely good value for the money we paid.only thing not good was the room 220 as it was very cold,dispietthe two radiatores on full I realise it is only single glazed but I found others were warm.we used the 2 extra blankets in room next day asked for another so were ok ish .entertainment good also trips.We will definately return hopefully when a little warmer.

Stayed December 2013
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Hi Vinnyswindon, I am glad you enjoyed your holiday although I am sorry to read that you were not very warm during your stay even with a second heater provided. That said it is good that you are definitely planning to return. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
ludlow
Reviewed 21 December 2013

we had a turkey and tinsel weekend but felt let down the entertainment was poor no one seemed to be in charge the bar shut at 11.30 but when I spoke to them and said I would review on tripadvisor our friend heard two staff saying does she think we care not the attitude to have plus food ok our young waitress WAS EFFICENT AND POLITe on table 23 but on the last morning the restaurant manager was reprimanding her but it started in the dinning room then could still be heard behind the sreen not good practise

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank mazer
Hi mazer, I can only apologise for the inappropriate comments made to you by the bar staff on the Sunday evening. I read your comment card and have addressed the staff member concerned for being flippant. The weekend you stayed with us, Maria was your waitress and is one of the better restaurant team members. On the Monday morning she was being coached by the restaurant manager not reprimanded as she is just starting to assist in the running of the restaurant. Thank you for your comments and I hope you consider us for future holidays. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Llandudno hotels

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hotel is right on the front with a good views if you get a room at the front. With only a very short walk to the good shopping area.
We had a problem with our hot water and they tried to resolve this but after raising this 3 times with the reception they moved us to another room,,,,upgrading us to a Premier room which was very much appreciated considering how little we had paid for the break in the first place,
The pool is ok but worth taking a robe with you to go there and back in and getting changed in your room as not great changing facilities,,,but pool ok for blowing away the cobwebs
The hotel was warm, a little too warm for me but as we were expecting it to be as these hotels are mostly used by older guests they keep it warm for them,,,,,so just kept the window open in the room.
The food was ok with a choice of meals and meal times, with a vegetarian option
The hotel could do with a bit of tlc..but who of us wouldn't if were that old, worked as hard as that for the very reasonable amount of money paid for a stay there
Can't say about the entertainment as we did not see it,but speaking to other people who had, they seemed to enjoy it.
For those of you wondering yes the bingo that the hotel legally has to put on if more than half of the guests are female and aged over 65 As per the new EU ruling is played each evening.
There is a lovely bar area with a real fire if you want to spend a quiet evening
We Stayed at this hotel on a National Coaches trip....as usual we were the youngest on the trip but we usually are,,,,,just a week away before Xmas away from all the Christmas madness. This turned out to be a. " Turkey & Tinsel " break. Where you get Xmas Eve, Xmas Day. Boxing Day & New Years Eve. All in 4 days,,,just take it all as a bit of fun. But it's not forced on you if you don't want to be part of it.
This hotel is aimed at an older clientele but that's not saying this is a bad thing it's just something to be aware of. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all the staff.

Room Tip: If you are able to it would be worth getting a premier room,,,,,Fabulous
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aliloveholidays
Hi Aliloveholidays, sounds like you enjoyed your holiday and had good service from us which is brilliant. Many thanks for your post and maybe we will see you again. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This must be the coldest hotel we have ever stayed at, from the bedroom to the bar even the ballroom. As for the hot water it was very hit and miss, it comes to something when you have to boil a kettle to have a hot wash, also the wash basin was little more than a hand basin not suitable for a bathroom. As for the food it was very poor quality, one starter consisted of a few lettuce leaves two slices of boiled egg and a sprinkle of crutons, the food was either over cooked or almost raw, to their credit the staff were all excellant, very friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAVID L
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hi DAVID L, firstly thank you for praising the staff so highly but I am saddened to hear that you were not comfortable in your room and that you did not enjoy your meals. If guests have issue such as being cold and we are told, we do take steps to remedy the situation. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manger
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I stay at the Marine around 3 times a year, the last time being on 4th November 2013 for 4 nights. We make our own way up to Llandudno from Machynlleth regularly, because we just love this resort.

So why do we choose to keep going back to this particular Hotel then? This is easy...

1. The hotel is ideally situated right on the lovely promenade close to all the excellent shops and facilities.
2. The staff are all very friendly starting with the Manager Marcus, and associate Kelly, right down to everyone employed at this hotel. I think that the management obviously recruit with this friendly quality in mind.
3. We have always been happy with our room, though there is a refurbishment program going on for some rooms, which is making them even better.
4. We always enjoy our food of which there is plenty of variety and nicely served by lovely waiter/waitresses. I have coeliac disease which means that all my food MUST be Gluten Free. No problem for this hotel who always cater for me rather admirably in that respect.
For your further information, there are two very nice dining rooms.
5. Though my Husband and I aren't fussy on the Bingo, once that is over then there is usually some quite good entertainment on to either just watch, or perhaps have a dance if you wish.
6. At the front of the hotel, overlooking the promenade and sea, there is a lovely relaxing lounge area for just chilling out, having a drink of whatever, and perhaps have a snack while just watching the world go by.

For what most people pay for a Shearings holiday at The Marine, then I defy you find better value. Speaking to other guests who my Husband and I have met during our stays, many people have stayed at the Marine regularly lots more times than even we do, which speaks for itself really.

And no, my Husband and I do not have any Family or personal friends working at this establishment, or any other Shearings hotel if it comes to that! I have just given an honest assessment of our experience at the Marine Hotel, Llandudno. No more, no less.

Christina Thain

Room Tip: A sea view room is worth the extra, but if not then telephone in and request a room off the side str...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Christina T
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Hi Mrs Thain, Thank you for yet another good review. I am glad that we are continuing to ensure you enjoy your visits to us. Dave told me you enjoyed the mince pies too. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Moreton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a Shearings Hotel, and we booked one of their value weekends, B&B, Evening meal plus entertainment each evening, we were a party of 9 ex work colleagues and spouses, the evening entertainment is targeted at shall I say the more mature person i.e. bingo and a quiz with a comedy twist not to be taken seriously, but good fun especially if as us in a small party.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, one of our party was unable to use any stairs and as some of the rooms involve 1/2 dozen steps that cannot be avoided, although they very busy the staff rearranged a room, so that she had no stairs to contend with, we stayed in one of the updated rooms, which are have new furnishing a brighter décor than some of the older rooms, the food was without doubt well presented and very tasty, my veggy options were excellent.. All the staff were welcoming and nothing seemed too much trouble for them, I would highly recommend anybody planning a short break in Llandudno to visit the Bay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank 12Dave3
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hi 12Dave3, I am really pleased you and your group enjoyed your reunion with us. It is very good to read that all the staff were so helpful towards you, that a room issue was resolved and that your dietary requirements were met. Many thanks for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have to agree with everything Postcard77 has said about this shocking hotel. The room we were given was very shabby and the bathroom smelt of urine. The Manager did his best to make it smell better with toilet cleaner and air freshener but succeeded in making the smell worse. We were offered a double standard as an alternative, but two ladies travelling together do not want to share a double bed. We had to stand to the side of the wash basin to have a wash and clean our teeth, there was no window or fan and no hot water for nearly two days. The standard of the food was ok, but very rarely did we manage to get what we wanted as even when we went into dinner at 6.30 (as soon as the dining room opened) the popular choices of food disappeared very quickly. We even witnessed one waitress removing an ice cream from one guest as she had given him the wrong dessert (he had started eating it) and try to recycle it to a guest on our table! Overall, an experience not to be repeated. On a positive note, Llandudno is lovely. I have written and emailed Shearings and they havent had the courtesy to reply to me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank lindy_broughton
Hi lindy_broughton, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your holiday. The water problems started on the Tuesday afternoon and were mostly resolved late on the Tuesday night. One evening is not two days. I spoke with you in the lounge bar on the Tuesday evening when you explained the issues you were having in the restaurant. Consequently I spoke with the restaurant manager who has informed me there were no further issues during the rest of your stay. Also we do not recycle meals from table to table. Customer care department are aware of your complaint and I have confirmed with them that you have now received their response. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. Marcus Williams, General Manager