“Disappointment”

Ranked #36 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked self-drive, four nights, half-board, through Shearings. On their recommendation, we paid extra for a car parking space which was only a foot wider than our narrow car. Don't pay for this facility. We also paid for sea view, which we could use, but only one at a time, because the window was so narrow, and standing, because the uncomfortable chairs wouldn't fit between the window and the bed. Yes, it was a very small room! Shearings told us that adding an en-suite shower room had made the room smaller than it was in Victorian times! Actually, it was dividing the Victorian room into three en-suite rooms which made the rooms too small. The floors of the rooms were very creaky, so you felt guilty when moving about the room.
Reception was offhand, bordering on rude, and unhelpful.
On the good side, the food was good and Llandudno was very nice.

Room Tip: Don't pay for sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank john martin w
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Hi john martin w, I am sorry you didn’t like your room and found the car parking arrangements difficult. I was one of the people you spoke to on reception about the size of the car parking spaces so must apologise for coming across as being rude and off hand. The car parking facility has been available for many years and the size of the spaces has not caused issue before. The facility offers peace of mind to those who do book a space and it is mostly much appreciated. Customer care department forwarded you complaint letter to me and I gave them an honest response to the issues you raised. If you chose to book another Shearings holiday, contact the hotel direct to make your booking. The hotel staff will be able to give you more specific advice about the rooms in their hotel to ensure your expectations are meet. Thank you for the positive comment about the meals served during your stay. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
warrington
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Just returned from a 4 night break with shearings. I had a single room (225) on the second floor. Room had recently been redecorated and fitted out with new furniture
it had a lovely sea view. Good sized bathroom with bath but no shower, plenty of handgrips. Food was very good with generous portions. Staff were first class in all departments especially Maria in the dining room who was very efficient always smiling and with an excellent memory, she could remember what you had for breakfast the previous day even if you had brown or white toast ! The best thing about this hotel is its location, a flat walk so close to the shops and cafes. Will certainly stay here again. Also the bar meals are reasonably priced and very good.

Room Tip: I think all rooms on the second floor have been refurbished
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank tillytops
Hi tillytops, The room refurbishments have made a big difference to the hotel and I am glad they are being enjoyed. Thank you for your comments about the service from Maria in the restaurant, I will let her know. It is good to see there are a number of hotel team members getting mentions on Trip Advisor at the moment. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Wales
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I have just returned from having yet another lovely stay in our favourite Marine Hotel up there in Llandudno, which is also our favourite resort in the whole of the UK.
As other reviewers are saying the hotel has for quite some time now been refurbishing the rooms which makes this hotel even better value than before.

One thing that is very important to me is the food. I have Coeliac disease which means that I cannot have any food with wheat, rye and barley which all have gluten in them. If I eat any food with even the slightest trace of this in it then I can feel quite ill with stomach cramps and certain loo problems for days afterwards.

This hotel has a good selection of of gluten free meals, so I am well catered for.

While I am mentioning the excellent food.
I must give a special mention to our lovely waitress Ramune who was very friendly and efficient so helped to make our restaurant experience as pleasant as it possibly can be.

Plaudits also for assistant manager Kelly who was so friendly and helpful during the whole of our stay. Nothing is too much trouble for her.

But then, I have to say that all of the team in this hotel are also friendly and helpful.

This hotel is situated right on the promenade, and is near the excellent range of shops and all of the wide range of things to do in Lllandudno. Bored we never are here, either in the hotel or out.

Take it from me, if you want a nice clean friendly hotel in a wonderful seaside resort then go stay in Llandudno at The Marine Hotel

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are worth the extra you pay, but failing that try and get a room off the side s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Booze C
Hi boozercruiser, Thank you for another excellent review. I will pass your comments on to Ramune and Kelly. Kelly is the Head Receptionist though, can't have getting her too proud. Looking forward to your next stay with us. Marcus Williams, General Manager
frodsham uk
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Three us us stayed at Marine hotel for the towns Victorian weekend.
The hotel is starting to look better with the refurbishment programme.We really enjoyed our stay.
The seaview rooms were excellent,well decorated and colourful.Resturant food was very good with a fair choice.Special thanks to Susannze (not sure about spelling),who was very efficient and friendly,she went out of her way to serve us quickly on the Sunday,as we had to get to the theatre
by 19-30.
Overall a very pleasant weekend,will be back again

Room Tip: A sea view room makes all the difference
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank gunnerjohn
Hi gunnerjohn, The Victorian Extravaganza is a very busy weekend for the town and an excellent event to attend. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and liked the progress we have made with the refurbishment works at the hotel. I will make sure Zsuzsanna knows about your positive comments. Hope to see you again. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here for long weekend on self drive basis with coach party of 27 older people from a club. The bedding is immaculate and everyone had good comfortable beds, the entertainment is good particularly on the Friday. Food is also good with a choice for each course, and staff are accomodating if there is something you cant eat. The dining room staff are very efficient and helpful and made sure all guests were well caterd for.
Have to say this hotel is well worth a visit for anyone visiting the area. Marcus and his staff also went the extra mile when one gentleman in our party had to go to hospital, transporting his belongings and ensuring that everything was well, and offering any assistance that would be needed.
Thanks to Marcus, Hayley, phil and the other staff for ensuring we had a great holiday, we will definately be back

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank 50pclub
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi 50pclub, Thank you for your post. It is good to read everyone enjoyed their stay with us. I hope that the member of your party who went to hospital is well on the way to recovery and will be fit to travel with you all again. Looking forward to seeing you again, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We love our Shearings hols. As we are now retired but very active we are visiting as many seaside towns as we can, the ones we have heard of but never seen and Shearings suits us perfectly. Our twin room, No 311 was comfortable and very clean, no frills with tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV and a sea view (must admit outside window could do with a clean). The dining room was very pleasant and as always the food was excellent (wish we could resist the Full English!!). Our trips included Anglesey, Snowdonia National Park, Beaumaris and Llanberis Railway and Slate Museum all of which we thoroughly enjoyed particularly as the weather wasn't too good. Due to other commitments we actually had 3 drivers who added the fun element to our trips. Must mention the Staff at Marine Hotel, very helpful and hard working.
The one downside is the Stretton Interchange. This is the second time we have used this interchange and had long delays on both occasions. It seems also that once through the dreaded M6, the Feeder drivers are not too conversant with the B'ham and Solihull areas which means further delays and getting home as late as 9.00pm. Next is Gairloch in May and The Isle of Wight (for a second time) in August. Roll on May.

Room Tip: If you have a special requirement, ask in advance.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BaznChaz
Hi BaznChaz, I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotels facilities and that you found the staff so accommodating. I am sure you will enjoy your holidays later in the year and maybe a repeat visit to Llandudno at some point. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I've just spent a 4 night break at this hotel. The room was nice and clean with modern TV and furniture, The staff were very helpful and friendly. I was served in the dining room by Peter. He was very efficient and friendly. The reception staff were all friendly, helpful, and informative, in particular, Agi, who was on the reception one minute, in the bar the next, then even in the dining room - now that's what I call multi-tasking! I locked myself out of my room on the first day, and without any hesitation she came up with the spare key to let me back in. She was brilliant. As was Kelly, who again was eager to help all of the time.
The bar area was always busy and comfortable. The food quality was very good, but the breakfast was a bit on the light side, but Dinner was plentiful with a good choice on the menu.
I will definitely be going back next year.
I drove myself and had to pay for trips that were only included if I went on a shearings coach, but they were cheap enough at only £9 per trip.
Thank you everyone at the Marine and see you next year!!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms don't disappoint. They give a great view of the whole bay and both Ormes.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank TH652014
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi TH652014, Thank you for such a good review. It is great that you enjoyed your holiday with us and are planning on coming back next year. Take care, Marcus Williams, General Manager