“We'll Come By Here Again.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Marine Hotel

Bay Marine Hotel
Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“We'll Come By Here Again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our spotlessly+ clean comfortable double room was on the third floor facing the sea and it was close to the lift so access was easy. The weather was very hot so we were glad that the window opened at the top to let the air in as some of the other hotel guests based on the 2nd floor told us that they had difficulty in opening their windows..
The meals were varied and the portions were good.While the large dining area was very busy the pleasant staff were very quick and served the guests efficiently. The decor of the hotel was circa 1930s and had thick carpets and Art Deco wall pictures everywhere.
The pool was really warm and clean and we were lucky to have it to ourselves for a while to relax.
There was evening entertainment available but we went out in the evenings so we did not stay in to make use of it but most people who stayed in told us that they enjoyed it.
We went on lots of excursions to castles and the countryside. There is so much to see and do in this lovely part of Wales that we are hoping to return again soon to the hotel where we made lots of new friends.

Room Tip: For older people a room near a lift is easier.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pamela G
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hi Pamela G, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you are looking to return. It is true this area does have a lot to offer. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
St Helens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just returned from a five day stay at the Marine Hotel on a Shearrings Coach trip. Welcomed on board the coach by assistant manager. We were allocated room 391, which had been recentlt reburbished to quite a high standard, but I must say the outside of the door into the room really wanted a coat of paint. The room was comfortable nice tv tea making materials. We had cold water one morning but I complained at reception and it was fixed on our return. Yes its a creaky hotel and want some tlc for corridors but you dont sleep in the corridors. Compared to some of the Bay hotels I have stayed in, and thats a lot the lift was the best one by a long way. Some of them are so small you just about get two persons in. The food both at breakfast and in the evening were good, hot and plentyful with good choice. The waitress on our table was number 41 was excellent never waited long for service. So all in all I recommend The Marine very few minor faults, well done.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Des C
Hi Des C, You sound like a discerning Shearings customer and it is good to read that at the, Bay Marine Hotel, we compare favourably with our peers. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This was a "Club Outing" for a weekend in Llandudno. We picked an awful weekend when it rained half of the time (and threatened rain the next!) and my arrival in the town was welcomed with horrendous winds - However, I can't blame the hotel for the weather!

I was welcomed on arrival - a bit too early for check-in, but there was free internet in the lobby and the lounge and, being self-employed, I'm on call for emails 24/7, so I spent some time checking mails before joining other members of our group for a drink in a nearby pub.

When we returned and I took my bag to my room, I felt it looked a bit "dated". Nothing especially wrong, but the furniture and decor were just "a bit old". Same with the paintwork in the room and the corridors certainly clean, but a bit chipped and showing signs of age. Having said that, I had a very comfortable bed, with new-looking sheets, and slept like a log.

The big down-side for me was the lack of wireless (or any other) internet access in the rooms; most hotels now provide complimentary wi-fi throughout, and it needn't be too disruptive or expensive to install. Instead, I had to "tether" to my mobile phone, which IS expensive. Also, with the room facing out to sea, the mobile signal was not strong and at times I was struggling to download web pages that take less than a second at home

Coming to the food, I was on "bed, breakfast and evening meal" rate, and the breakfasts certainly left nothing to be desired - a "proper English (or maybe Welsh??) breakfast was served promptly and cooked perfectly. The evening meals likewise were excellent, with a reasonable choice of menu, and the staff were faultless.

Overall, the weekend was a pleasure and I'd certainly stay there again - if only they'd do something about internet access. For me, that's more important than having television in the room (yes, they have, and it looks like a nice set but I never switched it on!) With internet facilities, I'd have increased my overall rating to "Excellent".

Stu

Room Tip: Mine overlooked the sea, which would have been nice, but our group picked a weekend when it was hard...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stu N
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi Stu N, Sounds like you and the group you travelled with enjoyed your stay with us which is great thank you for all the positive comments you have made about the food, the staff and the good night's sleep you had. We are currently working through the corridors to improve them there are some areas left to do however we have recently had a lot of investment in the rooms bringing them up to date. I acknowledge what you say about the wifi and understand how important it is to you. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The best thing about the Marine hotel is the location, which is superb, right in the middle of the promenade and close to all the amenities. The hotel itself is nothing special with drab corridors to the rooms, creaky floors, small pokey room ( 303) and a bathroom so small, it was a miracle I did not do myself an injury! The whole point of coming away for a break is to experience a little bit of luxury and feel special. The food was no more than adequate, so nothing to shout about there, although it was served with grace and promptness. All in all ,a pretty average experience and not one I would rush to repeat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gobinder
Hi Gobinder, Thank you for your post I appreciate room 303 is one of our smaller rooms however there have been alternative rooms available over the 2 weekends prior to your post. I am sorry you did not like room 303 but we could have done something for you. You enjoyed your previous visit which you reviewed in November so it would be good if you came back again so we could organise a more suitable room for you. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked a Mon to Fri break with 2 friends , it was the first time in Landudno for any of us . The hotel was clean well decorated and the room was on the first floor with a sea view , little small but clean and smelled nice . One thing though why oh why no drawers . But overall the staff were pleasant and attentive . Then lo and behold the fire alarm went off at 3.00 am , turned out to be a false alarm but felt it frightened some of the less mobile residents , the night porter was superb in all this confusion btw . Overall very good apart from the niggles I mentioned

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath , the also have a power shower over
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jim f
Hi jim f, It is good that the hotel staff looked after the 4 of you to ensure you all enjoyed your holiday with us. Apologies for the fire alarm we are all aware that this can be unnerving during the day let alone in the early hours when everyone is rudely awoken. That said I am pleased the Night Porter and other staff handled it well for you. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I took my Mother and Daughter to The Marine for the weekend. The room was really big although it was meant for four. Everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The staff could not have been better. Friendly, helpful and efficient. Maria, who served us our meals was so pleasant and friendly. We were never kept waiting for anything.
The food was plentiful and good. The variety was reasonable and for the cost of the weekend we were all very happy with the standard of food.
The entertainers worked hard to make our evenings enjoyable.
Some of the decor was looking a little tired in places but it was still spotlessly clean.
The only critism was that I had checked on the availability of the lift for my elderly Mother but there were still have a dozen stairs to get to the room. There may have been a limit on the room available as we required one for three.

Room Tip: If you are completely unable to deal with stairs do check if access to the room involves some stairs...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandra W
Hi Sandra W, I am so glad you all enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the praise It's good to read we ticked all your boxes. We only have the two family rooms and access to both is across a half landing involving stairs but I am glad this did not spoil your holiday. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Yes, we have had another holiday at The Marine Hotel. The last time I reviewed the hotel, I said I was disappointed not to receive the bottle of wine that was supposed to be included with our holiday. Well, I would like to point out, I was sent a £20 Shearings voucher as compensation. Along with the very good promotion that was on at the time of booking, this made for a very good offer.
The Hotel is in a favourable sea front position, with the shops just a few minutes walk away.
We had a newly refurbished room, with a glimpse of the sea front. The bathroom was on the small side but adequate and the bedding was crisp and white. ( room 103 ) The corridors need a refurbishment as are looking a bit tatty now.
Last year, I didn't think the meals were large enough for my husband, but this year, the portions were very generous, of a good standard and very tasty indeed.
We were served by a charming waiter, Peter, who was very courteous.
We decided to watch the entertainment on our last evening, ( Thursday ) and it was a good decision, as Dave Davies was an excellent entertainer. I laughed at his jokes, sang along with his songs and listened attentively to his guitar and sax music. I would definately recommend an evening in! My only negative would be the price of the drinks at the bar......a bit expensive.
Finally, thank you to all the staff. You were all very friendly at the reception desk and at the bar.
Best wishes,
Sue W.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room. Also, you can request a window table in the Dining room, which wi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sue w
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi sue w, So glad you came back and thank you for leaving such a positive review. I do like to read how well the staff look after our guests and will of course pass your comments on to Peter. Regarding the size of the meals at dinner time this we addressed following comments made by yourself and others. If anyone does have any issues better to raise them with us whilst you are here as we always do our best to address them. Marcus Williams, General Manager