“Dont expect too much!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Bay Marine Hotel

Bay Marine Hotel
Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 8 February 2011

A tired hotel in need of refurbishment run by management in need of ideas. Situated in good location and looks good from outside. Inside the decor is tacky and old. Our room on the 3rd floor was squalid, small and musty. The hotel was almost empty - why were we is such a poor room when there was better ones available. We paid 10 pound per night extra for a larger room. It was better but why have to pay extra for a decent room.
Food not bad but portions very small and you will not be offered a coffee top up or anything else extra. The sliced toast was so thin I wasn't sure if I should eat it or shave with it.
We went for a weekend cabaret special. The regular act were straight from the 1950's and the star turn on Saturday night didn't bother to turn up.
My advice - only use this hotel if you get a very good price and even then dont expect too much............

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel but thank you for taking the time to make your views and thoughts known. We do appreciate receiving any feedback - good or bad- as it is only by receiving this that we can hope to improve our services.

I am sorry you did not like the first room allocated. It is true we had very low occupancy that week end so other rooms were available, however, I need to allocate rooms according to what people have booked as there may be a specific reason why someone has booked that room type. I hope you were well treated when we organised the room move with you.

It does not sound like you enjoyed your holiday with us and there were a number of issues that caused this. It is difficult to please everyone all the time and what is good for one person is not for another; I am sure that we could have resolved some of the issues for you - meal portions and extra coffee are easy fixes.

Should you decide to give us another chance, as we do offer very good rates throughout the year as mentioned by other reviewers, please call me before you travel and I can help look after your booking. You may not be fully aware that we offer varying standards of rooms at different rates to suit you. Thank you for your comments. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed 7 February 2011

Visited this Hotel as an independent guest and paid to upgrade to a premier room as the allocated room was situated on the main staircase with a rather musty smell. Alternative rooms were apparently not readily available. Even the first premier offer had a bathroom with a distinct putrid smell. The food had to be taken in the ordinary restaurant and was a fixed menu with some options not available. The swimming pool was good but the changing rooms poor with showers not working. The location was good with sea views from several rooms. The service was very poor we asked for toiletries to be replenished and this took most of the day despite several requests.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank howard_happy
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

I am disappointed that you did not find the service or facilities we provide to be to your liking. We do have two restaurants but there is no difference between them; it is our intention to provide the same level of service to all the guests who stay with us. We aim to ensure that all the fixtures and fittngs in the hotel are maintained and functional. I am not aware of any issues with the showers but will certainly investigate this now that you have brought the matter to my attention. I can only appologise for the toiletries not being replenished in your room quickly enough; this task is completed when the room attendants service the room. Marcus Williams, General Manager.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

We had a superior sea view room which we have had before-Large, airy, warm...Food was fine, restaurant staff friendly, reception staff very helpful-especially when we rang beforehand to request specific room if possible....which we did get. My gripe last visit was the high cost of drinks and this visit Shearings put on a totally 'Free Bar' on Saturday night which went down well! On previous visits, on arrival, we found a free Sunday lunch had been included-so some nice surprises.Yes, it does need some decorative updating, it is a creaky old building but position is great near the shops and as a base for going walking in Snowdonia...(We don't need disabled access but we were made aware when booking that their disabled outside lift would not be working).. We will certainly be going back-excellent value for money, thanks!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shelagh23
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Hi Shelagh23, apologies for not posting a reply sooner, but it was lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the upgraded room. Your review reads as though you come to us regularly which is great. Hopefully you will be coming again. Thank you for posting your review. Marcus Williams, General Manager

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in... The food was inedible... hotel throw back from 80's... bar man the rudest man I have ever come across...
Disabled access none existant as wheelchair lift out of order.... Swimming pool closed... Reception staff waste of time but friendly...
Only good thing restaurant staff worked tiredlessly and very very polite and helpful...
This was my 40th Birthday celebration with my mother father 18yr old daughter aunt and uncle... Diagnosed with MS for my 30th birthday thought we'd make my 40th a little special with my loved ones... What a mistake that was... Avoid this hotel....

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Shellnfarl

Please accept my apologies that your 40th birthday celebrations did not turn out to be as enjoyable as you had hoped. I do remember the situation at the bar and am very sorry that this mix up upset you and your party.

Every effort is made to maintain high standards across the hotel and there are plans to refurbish the hotel later this year. When a property and its facilities e.g. lifts are in constant use, repairs can sometimes become necessary - we will always try to get these completed as quickly as possible to avoid inconvenience to our customers. The swimming pool was closed for just a week in February but was available at all other times except for a few hours as hoc for routine maintenance.

We are still waiting for planning permission approval from the local council to get a ramp installed. Once in place we hope that this will make our hotel much more accessible to our customers.

Thank you for the comments you have made - we do appreciate any feedback - good or bad - as it is only by receiving this that we can hope to improve and maintain services.

Marcus Williams, General Manager.

Reviewed 21 December 2010

I stayed here for 3 Nights with my wife and in-laws for a long weekend and was impressed with the welcome and warmth of the staff. As far as the hotel itself goes, it is an old Victorian hotel which is a little tired but very clean and comfortable.
We were impressed with the quality of the food and the waiting staff are very efficient. Special mentions to General Manager Marcus, Barman Zeus and waitress Szuszan (?)

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Mick W
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We have been frequent visitors to LLandudno over the years staying in a variety of accommodation from self-catering, through B&B to the Imperial Hotel. I can honestly say that this was one of the better hotels and certainly the best value for money.
Excellently located on the promenade and just around the corner from the main shopping street one couldn't be in a better position for exploring this lovely resort.
To be honest, we were not expecting much of the hotel having paid just £89.95 each for a 3 night stay (special promortion of 3 nights for 2) half board. However, all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (special mention to Dai behind the bar), the half board option was more like full-booard as Afternoon Tea was served on Saturday and a lunch was included on the Sunday in addition to the breakfast and evening meals. Full English breakfast was served at your table and included a good selection of cereal and fruit juice (although the fruit juice could have been better quality). There was a good choice of food at evening meal time and, whilst not cordon bleu was freshly cooked and of fair portion. Sweet course always included fresh fruit (a large bowl brought to table to help yourself from) and cheese and biscuits (many hotels now charge a supplement for cheese and biscuits). Coffee/tea was also included in the price. Service was probably too efficient and we would have preferred a more leisurly approach.
The bedroom we had was badly in need of updating (particularly the bathroom) but it was large, we had a sea view, the bed was comfortable and we had tea/coffee making facilities and a TV. One can upgrade to better specced rooms if required.
Add to the package the use of a swimming pool and it is difficult to fault the overall package. The only downside for us was the entertainment, but it is aimed towards a specific age of clientele and they seemed to enjoy it.. Also, I would suspect parking would be a problem in high season.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doug H
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Not for the first time my Wife and I have stayed in this Hotel,and will review for our three nights from Friday 29th October 2010.
The Hotel which is right opposite the lovely Promenade, looks quite impressive and is really handy for everything that Llandudno has to offer.....including the town center with lots of good shopping. The rest I will do in 'bullet' points with a 'Star' rating out of 5.
*****.........Reception. Staff where very friendly and helpfull.
*** .........Barperson (male). The one exception in friendly staff . And keep an eye on your
change.
** .........Poor range of drinks and NO REAL ALE AT ALL. A bummer for me.
**** .........Entertainment. Quite good, they do there best. The female singer has a really
good voice, but is let down by a very poor sound system using far too much
echo.
*****.........Really excellent food, nicely presented and our waitress Szusa was really
lovely, efficent and friendly. My Wife has to have Gluten free food, and was well
catered for.
*** ........Room. O.K. for what we paid, but I wouldn't write home about it.
** .......TV. About as small as one can get.....and no Freesat or Freeview. A disgrace in
this day and age!
My Wife and I have just booked to go back to this hotel on 13th December 2010 for 4 nights, (We love visiting Llandudno) so that says it all really. I just wish they would get some Real Ale in. But then no Shearings Hotels have any, and we go to quite a few.
All in all, you will not go far wrong staying here though.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple