“Will not stay here again (which is a shame as stayed her for many years)”
Review of The Clontarf Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Clontarf Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Having stayed at the clontarf long before joni and mark became owners we have always made the clontarf our number 1 place to stay when we go to llandudno.
That is until our last stay which was 13/07/09 for 4 nights.
We arrived at 1.30 on the monday to be greeted by mark and a nice cup of coffee each which is always nice.
it was then mark asked straight out that he would not like us to eat at the hotel that night as they had enough people eating in with them and having another 2 would be a bit much (i own 2 businesses and i always thought that you look after the customers).
we both agreed to eat out that night but we DID tell mark that we would like to eat in on wednesday and thursday evening so he had 2 days prior notice for this.
Anyway tuesday morning we went down for breakfast and everyone in the room was offered a evening meal menu - except for me and my wife (we thought fine we told mark wednesday and thursday)
then wednesday morning we went for breakfast and once again we were the only ones that were not offered a evening meal menu so we thought fine they must have a problem with us so we will eat out once again - but we decided that today we would walk to conwy.
We got back to the clontarf at about 2.30 in the afternoon and we saw mark and his new member of staff at the bar talking and the first thing mark said was (CAN I GET YOU ANYTHING) i asked for a lager and a baileys for my wife, with this he said can you give me 10 mins as i am just changing the barrel and i have got to show a guest to there room,i said no probs at all and the new member of staff had to take me to my room as i had locked my key in there earlier that morning.
What mark did not know was my wife had stayed around the corner sat on the black chair that they have near the front door when his new member of staff came back down stairs and mark said "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT THEY WANT A DRINK NOW AND I HAVE GOT TO SORT OUT THE BARREL AND JONI HAS GONE OUT - THIS PLACE IS A MAD HOUSE".(it was more the tone than anything else)
With this his staff must have told him that fiona was around the corner and my wife said that they went into the dining room.
When my wife told me what he had said i was going to say something but was asked not to by my wife.
the member of staff suddenly came out with a mop and bucket and decided to mop right were me and my wife was sitting. (i think this was to see if we heard anything and were upset)
I was fuming but said nothing.
Anyways we let it pass and we never saw mark at all for the rest of the day.
The final straw was on Thursday morning when we went for breakfast and once again we were the only ones not to get a menu so we had had enough and decided to cut our holiday short and leave a day early.

Mark was the one to sort out our bill but he could not get the printer working and so we never got a bill but all we paid for was the nights we had stayed and mark never even charged us for the alcohol that we had the other days - i think it was down to guilt.
Anyways after so many happy years at the clontarf my wife and i have decided that we will never stay there again as our money was not good enough for them.
It is such a shame as it is a great place.
One last thing is the internet was awful all week and i could not access the net for most of our stay so be careful if you NEED the internet during your stay.
Dave and Fiona

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Stonecold8176
JoniStubbs-Thrush, Owner at The Clontarf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2009

Dear David and Fiona,
Firstly I am very sorry indeed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will respond to your review as succinctly as I can, although there is a lot to cover. We are both very saddended that this is how you feel, as for clarity this is the 5th time you have chosen to stay with us in the last 2/3 years, after staying twice under the previous ownership. This is the first time you have had an extended stay with us rather than a weekend or overnighter and as such as returning guests we ensured that you stayed in our very best room at a discounted rate.

With regards to the evening meals, I feel it has been taken out of context by yourselves, on every occasion you have stayed with us you have only booked B&B and have opted to have meals on an ad hoc basis. As you both never really eat of menu and therefore we usually cook Fiona a pannini and yourself a steak, as we had a lot of meals booked already during your stay Mark simply wanted to clarify your plans - so we could offer you what we normally do, as we were busy it was merely suggested you could dine 15 mins later, should your order be different.

I am under the impression we offered you a menu on the wednesday and not on the Tuesday in line with your request, it would not have been the case that you were not purposely offered a menu and I would have hoped, had you have been overlooked you would have asked us for it, as you know us well enough to do so.

I don't understand the further comments regarding the bar, again I really feel that you have taken things out of context, for example my housekeeper mopped the floor, only because it is her last job of the day, around 2.30pm before she finished, no other reason!

I accept that there were some internet problems the days you stayed and this is the only reason you gave us for leaving early. It is a wireless network, and during your stay there was some IP conflict, which did rectify itself after your departure and sadly is a problem time to time when people use our free service with their own equipment. You did not however report any issues with the internet until the point of check out. As we use the internet ourselves we were aware of them and tried everything including resets and removing all passwords during your stay to rectify it.

On a final note, the printer was not broken, I had prepared all bills for departure in advance, your bill was not prepared as we were not anticipating your departure. Following an upgrade of our system a month ago it was the first time we had to change the check out date, and sorry we did not know how to do it straight away! The uncharged drinks were an oversight, not guilt, but please accept them with our compliments.

I am sorry this is a long response, but it is addressed to David and Fiona along with any other readers, so hopefully they understand how sorry we are they did not enjoy their holiday and we ask them to reconsider their decision and stay with us once again. Please get in touch if you wish to do so. Kind Regards, Joni & Mark

Reviewed 27 June 2009

Booked the Clontarf at short notice for a 2 day break in June based on reviews on this site. Really happy with the choice. The hotel is in a very pleasant, quiet area with easy access to coastal paths and beaches and only a 10 minute walk into town. The owners are helpful and our room was great, modern and comfortable with lots of nice touches. Joni and Mark have put a lot of thought and attention to detail into making the hotel a lovely place to stay. We would love to return sometime.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2009

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the owner joni who then offered us tea. she then got us a map of the area and told us some things worth seeing and doing also reccomended some restuarants and pubs. we were then shown to our rooms our room was even better than it looked on the website. there was a lovely jacuzzi bath, a four poster bed and a very comftable sofa looking out to a magnificent view over the great orme. the hotel was a 10 minute walk to the town centre where there are quite a few shops, pubs and resturants. the hotel was situated along a quiet road very relaxing. There was a very nice breakfast selection each morning and in the evenings they served 3 course meals at £17 a head we ate at the hotel on one night the food was superb all cooked by joni and her husband mark. This hotel turned out to be everything we were after the owners were very friendly and they would do anything for you, the rooms, the food and the location we could not of asked for more.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2009

From the welcoming Cuppa to the departing handshakes the stay here was wonderful.
The bed was the most comfortable we have slept in, breakfasts were well prepared and
the hosts were friendly and helpful. A great B&B in a beautiful area.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We booked into The Clontarf for a relaxing break to celebrate our birthdays. We were welcomed by Mark with a cup of tea which we drank whilst sitting in the very pleasant lounge. Mark gave us details of places to go and also a map which was very helpful.

Our room was the Romantic one and it was gorgeous. Lovely comfortable four poster bed, very spacious, great view of the Orme and last but certainly not east marvellous jacuzzi bath!!

We had the best ever full breakfasts and stayed in one night for a very good evening meal. Joni was a fantastic hostess and was always ready to stop and chat to us. Julie who served our breakfast was lovely too.

The location is excellent. Just over the road from the sea with plenty of lovely walks. The North Shore and pier are only 10-15 minutes walk away as are the shops. Lovely quiet area with fantastic views - we loved watching the goats on the Great Orme.

All in all a brilliant break - I haven't felt so relaxed for years!!! We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We arrived at the hotel mid-afternoon to be greeted by one of the hotel owners. She was really friendly and offered us a drink and provided us with a passport to Llandudno map, on which she marked out the reccomended spots to eat, drink, undertake activities etc. We were showed around the ground floor of the accomodation, it was all very nicely decorated, modern but very warm and homely. We were then shown up to our room which was BEAUTIFUL. I do not have one bad thing to say about the hotel, the staff, location or anything at all. All in all I would be glad to suggest a stay here to anyone.

Reviewed 14 May 2009

I spent a long weekend at the Clontarf in May. On arrival we were greeted by one of the owners, Joni who immediately gave us a map of the area and marked out where we should eat/visit/drink etc which made our lives so much easier. They'd also kindly arranged to have our room cleaned first that day, as we arrived at 11.30 in the morning.

Our room, what can I say?? It was fabulous - a four poster bed with a mountain of pillows, a sofa against curved windows, a TV & dvd player, and to top it all off a jacuzzi bath. Plus full tea/coffee facilities and nice touches like kit kats, and a bottles of mineral water (but sadly the mineral water was not replaced after we drank it on the first day - but if this is all one can complain about in a hotel, I think that shows the high level of service there...)

As a vegetarian I would recommend this hotel particularly, as they offer a full range of veggie options at breakfast. You can either eat cereal, fruit and croissants from the buffet, or choose from a great range of cooked foods. The coffee was also freshly made and good.

The Clontarf is a 10 minute (very enjoyable and pretty) walk from the centre of Llandudno. And it is worth the ten minute walk, as so many of the hotels along the main promendade seem very dated and decrepit (Fawlty Towers sprang to mind when walking past many of them).

While there we ate at the Bengal Dynasty (Indian) - good food but poor service, the Beijing (Chinese) - the best Chinese I have ever eaten and particularly strong on vegetarian/fish options, but very basic decor, The Mediterranean (Italian/Lebanese) - really delicious and lovely decor, and Pars Restaurant (next door to the Mediterranean, and a similar menu) - not impressive, some strange food combinations, poor service and bad, stark decor. My favourite out of all four would definitely be The Mediterranean.

The cable cars up the Great Orme also offer a fabulous view of the area, I'd recommend these - though they don't run if it's windy at all.