“Excellent - beautiful hotel, excellent service. Will be back.”
Review of The Clontarf Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Clontarf Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Llandudno
Sheffield
“Excellent - beautiful hotel, excellent service. Will be back.”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We stayed at the Clontarf in June, for a weekend with our 15 month old baby. We couldn't have been made to feel more welcome by Joni and Mark. The hotel is beautifully decorated, and feels more like a boutique hotel in a city. Nothing was too much trouble, and the extensive breakfast menu was delicious. Our bedroom was huge, with a fantastic shower. Our little girl loved the place, and was made to feel as welcome as we were. We will certainly be back, and have told family and friends all about the place too. Thanks Joni and Mark for a lovely break in Llandudno. Clare, Simon & Jasmine. Sheffield.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My partner and I had a fantastic weekend away at the Clontarf. We were given a warm welcome by the owners Mark and Joni and will definitely be going back next time we visit Wales. Our room was extremely plesant; very contemporary whilst still offering a cosy feel. The room has been furnished to a high standard, with careful attention to detail; everything seemed fresh and clean and the newly refurbished bathroom was a real treat!

The location of the hotel is ideal as it is situated about a 5 minute walk away from the main town whilst offering the benefits of a seafront location. The service was great from start to finish and could not be faulted. The breakfast and dinner menus offer a great deal of choice meaning we had the option to relax in the hotel if we wished.

1 Thank maxputney
JoniStubbs-Thrush, Owner at The Clontarf Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2009
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the Clontarf Hotel. I think we are nearer a 10 minute walk to the town centre for most, but it is a very pleasant stroll on the flat in to the town on a summers evening, so it no doubt flew by! Many guests prefer our quieter location on the West Shore, and being only one street back from the seafront, you can be there in a minute. Hope to welcome you again soon. Kind Regards, Joni & Mark
Leeds
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed here last weekend with our 2 year old daughter and were increibly impressed with the location, the accommodation and in particular the service from the proprietors. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and we were made to feel comfortable and incredibly welcome during our stay. I would thouroughly recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Llandudno and I have already recommended it to several friends. We will definitely be returning in the near future.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FamilyPhillipsLeeds
stoke
Reviewed 26 July 2009

me and my partner booked the hotel once again ,think this is our fourth or fifth time at the clontarf,think we have become part of the furniture !
once again service and facilities are second to none,fresh food,lovely room and friendly hosts all go to making this family hotel a joy to stay in.in my profession i do travel throughout the uk and occasional trips to europe so i can compare this hotel against others with what i hope is a wealth of knowledge.see you soon look forward to septembers visit and that lovely bed,all the best for a wonderful stay

1 Thank kissStoke
Skelmersdale
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Having stayed at the clontarf long before joni and mark became owners we have always made the clontarf our number 1 place to stay when we go to llandudno.
That is until our last stay which was 13/07/09 for 4 nights.
We arrived at 1.30 on the monday to be greeted by mark and a nice cup of coffee each which is always nice.
it was then mark asked straight out that he would not like us to eat at the hotel that night as they had enough people eating in with them and having another 2 would be a bit much (i own 2 businesses and i always thought that you look after the customers).
we both agreed to eat out that night but we DID tell mark that we would like to eat in on wednesday and thursday evening so he had 2 days prior notice for this.
Anyway tuesday morning we went down for breakfast and everyone in the room was offered a evening meal menu - except for me and my wife (we thought fine we told mark wednesday and thursday)
then wednesday morning we went for breakfast and once again we were the only ones that were not offered a evening meal menu so we thought fine they must have a problem with us so we will eat out once again - but we decided that today we would walk to conwy.
We got back to the clontarf at about 2.30 in the afternoon and we saw mark and his new member of staff at the bar talking and the first thing mark said was (CAN I GET YOU ANYTHING) i asked for a lager and a baileys for my wife, with this he said can you give me 10 mins as i am just changing the barrel and i have got to show a guest to there room,i said no probs at all and the new member of staff had to take me to my room as i had locked my key in there earlier that morning.
What mark did not know was my wife had stayed around the corner sat on the black chair that they have near the front door when his new member of staff came back down stairs and mark said "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT THEY WANT A DRINK NOW AND I HAVE GOT TO SORT OUT THE BARREL AND JONI HAS GONE OUT - THIS PLACE IS A MAD HOUSE".(it was more the tone than anything else)
With this his staff must have told him that fiona was around the corner and my wife said that they went into the dining room.
When my wife told me what he had said i was going to say something but was asked not to by my wife.
the member of staff suddenly came out with a mop and bucket and decided to mop right were me and my wife was sitting. (i think this was to see if we heard anything and were upset)
I was fuming but said nothing.
Anyways we let it pass and we never saw mark at all for the rest of the day.
The final straw was on Thursday morning when we went for breakfast and once again we were the only ones not to get a menu so we had had enough and decided to cut our holiday short and leave a day early.

Mark was the one to sort out our bill but he could not get the printer working and so we never got a bill but all we paid for was the nights we had stayed and mark never even charged us for the alcohol that we had the other days - i think it was down to guilt.
Anyways after so many happy years at the clontarf my wife and i have decided that we will never stay there again as our money was not good enough for them.
It is such a shame as it is a great place.
One last thing is the internet was awful all week and i could not access the net for most of our stay so be careful if you NEED the internet during your stay.
Dave and Fiona

4 Thank Stonecold8176
JoniStubbs-Thrush, Owner at The Clontarf Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2009
Dear David and Fiona,
Firstly I am very sorry indeed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will respond to your review as succinctly as I can, although there is a lot to cover. We are both very saddended that this is how you feel, as for clarity this is the 5th time you have chosen to stay with us in the last 2/3 years, after staying twice under the previous ownership. This is the first time you have had an extended stay with us rather than a weekend or overnighter and as such as returning guests we ensured that you stayed in our very best room at a discounted rate.

With regards to the evening meals, I feel it has been taken out of context by yourselves, on every occasion you have stayed with us you have only booked B&B and have opted to have meals on an ad hoc basis. As you both never really eat of menu and therefore we usually cook Fiona a pannini and yourself a steak, as we had a lot of meals booked already during your stay Mark simply wanted to clarify your plans - so we could offer you what we normally do, as we were busy it was merely suggested you could dine 15 mins later, should your order be different.

I am under the impression we offered you a menu on the wednesday and not on the Tuesday in line with your request, it would not have been the case that you were not purposely offered a menu and I would have hoped, had you have been overlooked you would have asked us for it, as you know us well enough to do so.

I don't understand the further comments regarding the bar, again I really feel that you have taken things out of context, for example my housekeeper mopped the floor, only because it is her last job of the day, around 2.30pm before she finished, no other reason!

I accept that there were some internet problems the days you stayed and this is the only reason you gave us for leaving early. It is a wireless network, and during your stay there was some IP conflict, which did rectify itself after your departure and sadly is a problem time to time when people use our free service with their own equipment. You did not however report any issues with the internet until the point of check out. As we use the internet ourselves we were aware of them and tried everything including resets and removing all passwords during your stay to rectify it.

On a final note, the printer was not broken, I had prepared all bills for departure in advance, your bill was not prepared as we were not anticipating your departure. Following an upgrade of our system a month ago it was the first time we had to change the check out date, and sorry we did not know how to do it straight away! The uncharged drinks were an oversight, not guilt, but please accept them with our compliments.

I am sorry this is a long response, but it is addressed to David and Fiona along with any other readers, so hopefully they understand how sorry we are they did not enjoy their holiday and we ask them to reconsider their decision and stay with us once again. Please get in touch if you wish to do so. Kind Regards, Joni & Mark
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Booked the Clontarf at short notice for a 2 day break in June based on reviews on this site. Really happy with the choice. The hotel is in a very pleasant, quiet area with easy access to coastal paths and beaches and only a 10 minute walk into town. The owners are helpful and our room was great, modern and comfortable with lots of nice touches. Joni and Mark have put a lot of thought and attention to detail into making the hotel a lovely place to stay. We would love to return sometime.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
colchester
Reviewed 16 June 2009

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the owner joni who then offered us tea. she then got us a map of the area and told us some things worth seeing and doing also reccomended some restuarants and pubs. we were then shown to our rooms our room was even better than it looked on the website. there was a lovely jacuzzi bath, a four poster bed and a very comftable sofa looking out to a magnificent view over the great orme. the hotel was a 10 minute walk to the town centre where there are quite a few shops, pubs and resturants. the hotel was situated along a quiet road very relaxing. There was a very nice breakfast selection each morning and in the evenings they served 3 course meals at £17 a head we ate at the hotel on one night the food was superb all cooked by joni and her husband mark. This hotel turned out to be everything we were after the owners were very friendly and they would do anything for you, the rooms, the food and the location we could not of asked for more.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple