“Tatty, damp and uninviting”
Review of Bridge Guest House

Bridge Guest House
Ranked #26 of 35 Ipswich B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Tatty, damp and uninviting”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We booked this through Expedia on the back of some very short sighted reviewer's comments. The place was locked up at the front to start with, so we had to ring the bell to get in. Our first impressions were that a damp musty smell hit you straight away. The owner was friendly enough but we were immediately put off by the shabby condition of the first floor landing, not least the fire door propped open with the fire extinguisher which is against fire regulations. Our double room was way over due for a refurb to say the least, my partner recognised the curtains from his child hood stay at Butlins in the 70's and the plastic flowers did nothing to improve the ambience of the room at all. We didn't stay and quite frankly, wouldn't stay if we were paid to do so! Lastly, we made our excuses only to be told we couldn't get a refund as we had booked through Expedia. Luckily for us, my partner's family put us up for the night.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Caromel090

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is a rather shabby, tatty place, the only reason we stayed here was because our normal place was block booked for a wedding and all other place were booked due to the Stockcar event taking place on this weekend. We booked the room with 3 beds and this was right at the top where there was little or no ventilation and we had to open the emergency door to get some air in, which meant the noise from the railway opposite kept you wake most of the night. The worst part about this place was there was a toilet on our floor with a single shower to be shared with SIX other rooms. So, if someone had just started to use the shower and you wanted to use the loo you had no option but to wait. The room could just about fit 3 beds in. Although we were leaving early each morning at around 7:30 and breakfast did not start until 08:30, the owner promised us he would leave cereal outside our room which never materialised. OK, people will say you get what you pay for so if you can afford it go somewhere at least half decent then please do so.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Graham F

Travellers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

England
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The service at the B&B is fantastic- the owner was very efficient, helpful and friendly. The room was clean and spacious.
Breakfast was served quickly and was very nice- there was fruit & cereal to choose from and then a full English was served with toast being replenished to your table if desired.
The only slight negative was the window was broken in my room- but it wouldn't put me off staying here again. And the B&B really is 5 minutes walk from the train station!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room- my room was downstairs and the window was broken.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sunshinee
London
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is a £29 a night B&B it seems people are expecting the Ritz. I booked my single room for two nights for a wedding so it was just for a bed, to get breakfast including is a bargain. The breakfast ranged from cereals, toast, a fry-up or you can ask for a custom one eg omelette.

The single room was basic but clean, but isn't that what people want? Had a microwave, a sink, kettle, digital tv. The ironboard and iron were stored in the hallway.

The owner was very flexible I arrived at 11:30pm and she gave me options on how i
I could enter the B&B by putting the key on the shelf. When I arrived it wasn't there and I had to ring after hours and she came out to give me the key.

I would stay here again if I had a back room as the front rooms face the road and you can hear the trains when you try to get to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building away from the train line.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank dvdphotography
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

This guest house is located at very close the station although yes a bit away from the town centre. Although compared to other guest house which are equally far away from the town centre this one I think is the cheapest in town.
The owners are very humble and helpful.
Overall a good place to stay for a short while.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are quite bigger than the regular ones on ground / 1st.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ChaitanyaS
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

This was booked by myself for a work employee. When i spoke to the lady she was very polite yet did not confirm the booking by email or post as I requested. This comes over as a very unprofessional business.

My employee that stayed was happy with the room he said it was a typical basic B & B. He did say he could hear noise from the local trains. He would stay again as it was central located.

stayed last week in october 2011 for 2 nights

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Bromsgrove
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I was very surprised to see so much criticism for this place- it is £29 a night including breakfast! I stay all over the country as part of my occupation and working within tight budgets appreciate value for money. This suited me down to the ground as it served a purpose- it was warm, clean and the bed was comfortable. If you are expecting 3/4* B&B for £29 a night, you are at fault and not the Bridge Guest House.

Good points- next to train station and only 10 minutes walk to cinema, restaurants & bars
Bad points- rooms facing station very noisy

Room Tip: Don'y go for a room facing the train station
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business