“Bed and Breakfast stay”

Sidegate Guest House
Ranked #8 of 35 Ipswich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We received a warm friendly greeting. Tracie made a kind offer of fresh milk for making tea in our room even though there was a plentiful supply of cartons. Our room was newly decorated and had a very comfortable bed and a good shower. Breakfast was generous with freshly cooked local produce and very tasty! We have no hesitation about making this our first choice when returning to Ipswich.
Margaret and Nigel from Bucks

2  Thank Margaret G

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The room I was given contained everything I could possibly need for my stay. Including a dressing gown provided in the wardrobe.

The owners Wayne and Tracey were so friendly and helpful and really couldn't do enough. It was like staying a a friends house.

I booked an extra night on my return and will certainly be going back.

Excellent in every way.

Room Tip: Rooms A and B are on the ground floor. However if you smoke Room A has a door leading straight into...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sue O
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have had the adjudicators for our local Festival of Performing Arts staying at Sidegate Guest House over the past few weekends. All have said it was an ecellent venue with lovely rooms, great breakfast and wonderful hosts. My dealings with the owners Wayne & Tracie trying to organise a very complicated and changeable booking was brilliant. They were very very helpful and it was a pleasure dealing with them. I will be recommending Sidegate to my family and friends at every opportunity.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Carole K
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed at Sidegate Guest House for one night only, to attend a family party in Ipswich. Very quiet and comfortable room, with plenty of space and extremely comfortable large bed. Ensuite a little on the small side but excellent shower and good supply of fluffy towels. Everywhere was immaculately clean. Excellent choice for breakfast and beautifully cooked full English. Tracie and Wayne are a very friendly couple, who made us feel extremely welcome. We wish them well with their venture. Marion & Dave Walden, Beccles

Room Tip: Large double ensuite room on the ground floor at the back of the guest house - think it was room A...
4  Thank MDWChelmsford
Richard B, Owner at Sidegate Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thankyou for your lovely review, hope to see you again, and from your review others will be inspired to come and stay with us

Kind regards Wayne

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Having stayed at Sidegate Guest House nearly a year ago I've been shamefully slow to write this review but I absolutely *had* to based on the overwhelming quality of my experience.

I stayed at Sidegate for some two and a half months near the end of last year and the beginning of this year while settling into a new job near the town centre. While the extent of my stay is probably an unusual sounding board for those who are using Trip Advisor as a guide for short stays, I must emphasise that my impressions of Sidegate were first-rate from the moment I set foot through the door. That I happened to be staying for longer than a weekend was bloody good fortune.

Make no mistake or be under any illusions; this is first-rate accommodation. Rooms are well-appointed, tastefully decorated, warm, comfortable and luxuriously, yet homely without pretension. My shower was the stuff of legends. Breakfast was delicious, of course, frequently left out after appointed hours when I was slow to rise and not a word was spoken. Throughout the entirety of my long stay, breakfast remained of the highest quality - nothing was every out of stock, badly cooked or poorly presented. There was an abundance of choice and dining remained a daily pleasure.

And, of course, I need to talk about the people. Sally and Richard are absolutely the best kinds of proprietors. Professional to a tee, they came to understand my quirky routine and, without my asking, seemed to adjust and cater to it. Picking just one anecdote, I was walking to my car one cold morning after a night of heavy frost. Approaching, I could that my car had turned into a snowball in the driveway, covered in a layer thick ice. But right next to my front tyre, Richard had, without discussion, taken the trouble to lay out a bottle of de-icer and a scraper for me. This level of care boggles the mind and there were a dozen more incidents like this that I don't have space to mention. I'd be tempted to say that nothing was too much trouble to ask of this superhuman couple but it would be untrue of my experience because I never had to ask them for anything. Richard and Sally managed to make me feel, within moments of my arriving, like an old friend. By the end of my stay, I sincerely believe I am one.

I cannot over-emphasise how much respect I have for the backbreaking hard work, endless diligence, drive, passion and love, that must go into creating and maintaining accommodation of this level of quality, that transcends itself into something beyond a simple guest house. For me, this wasn't just a place to stay - this was the salient part of my three month visit and I wouldn't hesitate to go back or encourage anyone to experience it for themselves, be it for a day, a week, or for months at a time.

There's a reason why the TripAdvisor reviews rave about this place with as much enthusiasm as I do. Make sure you stay there if you're visiting Ipswich.

And to Richard and Sally - thank you. I genuinely had the perfect experience. Hope to see you both again in the not-too-distant future!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Goutetsu
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed for one night and will definitely be staying again! Wayne and Tracie are very welcoming. We stayed in room A which was very comfortable and quiet. As mentioned by a previous reviewer lots of things that make Sidegate no 1: large towels, mugs rather than silly little cups, large selection of teas and plenty of sachets, mirror by a light socket for drying my hair and even air fresher in the en suite! When we checked in Wayne supplied us with a flask of fresh milk for our morning tea and a jug of water as he knew we were going out for meal and drinks. And the breakfast - the best we have had! Wayne was cooking on our vist and it was lovely! We will have to compare to Tracie's next time we visit! There is no doubt that Tracie and Wayne will make this new venture a success. Good luck to you both.

1  Thank YvieC
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Tracie and Wayne are a very hard working couple who are determined to ensure you are made to feel like you are a welcome house guest rather than 'just a paying guest house customer'. So far I have only had small room as they are fully booked and I look forward to a larger ground floor room so I can escape to their pleasant garden for a cigarette when I need to. A residential area with a handy short walk pub that would ensure the largest of appetites is satisfied. The other comments on this site about the quality of breakfast are justified. Being on a new healthy living programme I can enjoy a high standard fresh fruit salad and really appreciated the care they took to ensure my particular type of yoghurt was provided - a standard of service a five star hotel never bothered to provide me despite frequent visits! Rooms were very clean, comfortable beds and well equipped facilities. I wish them luck in only attracting nice people who appreciate their high standard of service and respect for their many frequent stayers. Good for business people or those on Suffolk leisure breaks or visits to family etc in my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business