“Really good”

Price range: US$13 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located a stone's throw from the Town Center we are most welcoming of locals, tourists, students and dogs with well behaved owners.
Reviewed 18 March 2017

Like many other Ipswich residents I remember the Arboretum of the 1980s. When I worked in Ipswich it was our lunchtime local complete with dartboard and jukebox. Since then it has had a number of changes of ownership/management and we were pleased to find it reopened as the Arbor House.
We visited at lunchtime with friends a few weeks ago and this evening went back for an unplanned early evening visit. We were not disappointed. My braised chicken in red wine with mash was absolutely delicious and my partner who is veggie also enjoyed his chestnut and lentil pie. Although we were quite full after these main courses we both managed to squeeze in the definitely homemade apple and cinnamon pie for desert- one with ice cream and the other with 'proper' custard.
Great value for money friendly staff and lovely food. Will definitely be visiting again

2  Thank kathieml

Reviewed 7 March 2017

My first visit to what was "The Arboretum" since I was teaching at the Art School in 1966 and playing occasionally for the pub's darts team.. An old school friend and myself enjoyed a quiet lunch and a couple of drinks before taking in the Paolozzi exhibition across the road. Nice ambience and friendly staff. Perfect for a mid-day chat and a break from an otherwise boring visit to Ipswich from out of town.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday afternoon and were the only punters as it was a slow time and Ipswich were at home! But it still had more atmosphere than some pubs Ive bee to that are full!! Gorgeous place and they serve their gin and tonic in a proper big round glass! Will be back.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

I was looking forward to trying the Arbor House but I was left disappointed. my burger was of really poor quality, it really isn't that hard to make your own burgers especially if charging the same price as other venues in the area who have much better burgers for the same price. the dessert didn't improve my experience. the ginger sponge pudding was ok, I'm unsure if it was bought in or made on premises but either way it was uninspiring and for £6 I expect much more. it is ok to charge £6-£10 for a dessert but it must be better.

some positives. my partner really enjoyed her shepherds pie, the drink offering is good and the gentleman serving us was very friendly and polite

we may return to try the tapas selection as it sounded nice, by I will avoid the burgers like the plague.

1  Thank foodfootballbeer
Reviewed 19 February 2017

This premises has had several incarnations in the last few years, so I wasn't that hopeful for this latest one. I have been there several times now, lunch and dinner and just drinks. As a couple, with girlfriends and friends. It has been consistently good. The service is friendly, personal and efficient but not too matey, and the food is delicious and really reasonable. I am veggie but eat fish and have always found something lovely to eat, including a veggie roast lunch. And at last they have got the interior right. I always though of the upstairs as somewhere to go if too busy downstairs, but actually it is now really charming and the lighting is perfect - it was always way too bright. Just hope they keep it up, and that it is successful and popular enough, but not so much that it loses what it has now.