“coffee and a show”

New Wolsey Theatre
Ranked #1 of 116 things to do in Ipswich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The New Wolsey Theatre official Trip Advisor page. A 400 seat venue in the heart of the county town of Suffolk. Come and visit us soon!We're more than happy for you to use this page to feedback about productions you've seen here but please also take the time to let us know about your overall experience. We can only improve with your honest and balanced opinions.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“coffee and a show”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The coffee and tea are reasonably priced and served promptly. Also a card is available to collect stamps towards a free hot drink. Nice place to have a quick pick me up!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank r402014
NewWolsey, Manager at New Wolsey Theatre, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thanks for the review, I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying our Cafe and making use of the cards too. Thanks again, see you again soon!

Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Website Service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have always loved the Wolsey, especially the yearly pantomime - though I now live too far away to visit often, I just purchased a gift voucher for a relative so they can enjoy the theatre more. The service was easy to use and excellent, and an advisor was instantly available for me to check the details via the chat option. Would thoroughly recommend this as a gift to any theatre lover in the local area!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Kvetkaro
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm sorry to hear that you now live too far away for frequent visits, I hope you can still make it for the Panto though! Thanks for sharing your experience with our online services, it's great to hear that you were pleased with the chat option. We hope your relative enjoys their gift voucher!
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Daughter loves it”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My daughter (early primary school age) loves coming to the theatre, she always enjoys the shows, and the prices of the shows are not too expensive, they are even bearable for adults!

Only complaint is that the refreshments are a little pricey, and there are no shows for kids in August!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank 19Blue90
NewWolsey, Manager at New Wolsey Theatre, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I'm so pleased you enjoy our programme and that we've got the pricing right for you. We aim to always offer accessible pricing. We're generally closed in August for maintenance but I hope you'll get to see all our Autumn childrens shows!

Please be assured that as a charity community theatre all essential profit from our refreshment sales go directly to our community projects and produced work. I feel confident that we're competitively priced but will ensure your feedback is considered at our next pricing review.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Please sir can I have some more”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We went to see Oliver at the New Wolsey Theatre, we had book our tickets on-line several weeks earlier and we were able to print them off ourselves, this was a plus for us as we didn't have to keep looking out for the postman wondering if they would arrive in time,
We have seen several performances of Oliver by various armature and professional actors, in various places.I must say this is the best performance we have ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.
The show was sold out. The audience gave the performers a well deserved standing ovation at the end of the show.
The theatre seats were comfortable and gave plenty of leg room.
The ice creams served during the interval was nice and we had a choice of about eight different flavours.
My only gripe is that the Wolsey does not offer an eating area away from the crowds of people who gather in the foyer and bar prior to the show. If there had been a nice eating area I would have had a meal before the show.
We will definitely go back to the Wolsey.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Maisie P
Thank you so much for your kind review and for supporting our local companies too. I'm so pleased your visit was enjoyable and comfortable. We'd love a bigger foyer and who knows...one day!
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Lovely theatre - great atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went to see Oliver and wow what a fantastic performance. The players with special mention to Nancy - what an amazing voice - Fagin - Oliver and the Dodger - were brilliant and every bit as good as the London show. The Wolsey Theatre has great seats with completely unobstructed views and fantastic sound quality .... The PA played thunder and lightning before the play started and it added to the dark atmosphere of Dickens' Masterwork. Great facilities in the theatre and sooo looking forward to going again easily five stars ...Six if there was a Six option

Visited June 2014
1 Thank hatty1962
Thank you for your kind review. I wish there was a sixth star for you too! Thank you so much for supporting our local companies too and I hope we'll welcome you here again soon.