“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #230 of 449 Restaurants in Ipswich
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a newly refurbished Generous George brand that runs under Marston's Inns and Taverns. Generous George is all about it's people, it's food and it's atmosphere, and that's certainly what we aim to give our best of when you come dine with us. Now in! A pizza oven- to make fresh pizzas in house! You can pick them up for takeaway too. Ice cream parlour - with 12 different flavours available. Children's corner - screens to play on, and fun to be had. Pool table - £1 a go, plus the first game of the day is free! Syrup station - help yourself to make you drink amazing! Big red chair - get a picture on the chair and let everyone see you've been to your local Generous George. Come in, and see what all the fuss is about!
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I managed to get our for Sunday Lunch without the children and headed for Ravenswood which is about a 10 minute drive for us. Initially we headed for the Toby Carvery in Ravenswood but there was a 45 minute wait for a table so we decided to go to The Raven instead. We hadn't eaten here before and were pleasantly surprised that there was no wait at all for a table. We didn't know if we had to be waited to be seated or find our own table and after waiting by the door for a few minutes we went to the bar and enquired and were told to find our own table. The menu is quite varied and the prices are quite good. When we ordered our food at the bar we were told that there was no roast beef which is not great for a Sunday Lunch Time especially as it wasn't very busy at all. My wife went for the Roast Pork instead and I went for a Mixed Grill. The food overall was well presented and tasted fine although the chips were a little cool. Probably the most annoying things were that the staff seemed more concerned about the score in the tennis then listening to what customers wanted. And whilst eating dinner we could continually hear staff signing and chatting in the kitchen which is understandable but doesn't generate a good customer service. Also, no tabs are allowed despite the fact that you could be ordering up to 3 courses and multiple drinks. This must be due to previous guests not paying, but surely you can take a swipe of a customers card and then if they don't pay at the end of the meal you can just debit their card - it's not rocket science! Overall, the meal was okay, but there was a lack of atmosphere in the pub, and as mentioned the staff were not that customer orientated. May go back but there is a lot of competition in the area so things need to improve otherwise the Raven will miss out.

Joe S, General Manager at The Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Firstly, apologies for the late response. I am the new General Manager and have been on site for only two weeks, so your review must have simply slipped through the cracks before now.

Thank you very much for your review. I have taken your comments on board and can assure you that they have all been dealt with, so that your experience will be greater when you decide to return.

I have authorised the opening of tabs (as long as you agree to leave your card behind the bar), so that we can aid the speed of service and ease for the customers experience, so you can enjoy your food and drink without worrying about paying until later on.

The staff are also now aware of the atmosphere that we need to generate within the workplace, so strict rules are put in place for noise pollution from the kitchen and the staff working, so you can enjoy your meal as you wish.

I urge you to visit again and see the changes first hand. If you wish to, please call 01473 718704 to ask for myself, and we can sort you out a table.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Decent highchair on offer!

Prompt delivery of food that was cooked perfectly and tasted great. That little extra touch of service by giving my baby pepper cucumber and carrot sticks to munch on.

Look forward to working through their menu.

1  Thank BelsteadFamily

Fisrtly, apologies for the late response. I am the new General Manager and have only been here two weeks, so just going back on the few reviews that managed to slip through the cracks here.

Thank you for your review about our establishment.

We aim to aid and serve our customers in which ever way they need, and we will go above and beyond for anyone that walks into our building. You're a prime example of this and I'm glad we could have been of service to you.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for a meal with my partner. Where do I start.No acknowledgment when stood the bar for 12 minutes to get served and to order food.Menus were grubby and cutlery was not the best.After a 25 minute wait the food arrived lukewarm.No staff came and checked if our food was ok.
left our food and went to a pub over the road.The manageress should be put in charge of the England football team .
Still advertising fathers day after it has finished.
shambles.

To begin with I would like to apologise for the latest of this reply. I am the new General Manager and have only been on site for two weeks, so just reading through and reply to the reviews that have slipped through.

Thank you for your review.

Since your last visit we have upped our game and have addressed all the points that you have made in your review. We would like to urge you to try again, and we can prove that we are now the fine establishment that we promise to be.

Please call 01473 718704 and ask for myself, and we can book you in for your next visit that will have you leaving the building happy.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Menu was ok, Not much Choice, Service is always very slow. The place is always very clean and aimed at a older person

Thank you for your review, and sorry for the late response. As the new General Manager I am going through the old reviews and responding to the ones that have slipped through.

I urge you to come try us again, and I assure you that you won't leave dissappointed. We have a large menu, that cater to all appetites, our 2for£10 and even an ever changing specials menu, that you can slowly make your way through.

Please call 01473 718704 and ask for myself, and we can arragne to book a table for you, and show you how good the Raven is.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have only eaten a main meal here once, well over a year ago which had been fine. I have had starters and puddings countless times over drinks and with the exception to snail pace service at the bar have never had a complaint. So, as I live local, this seemed like a fantastic idea to have dinner for Mother’s Day at the Raven with a group of family members, including my partner, meeting the majority of the people attending for the first time, my Father, visiting from abroad, and my Grandmother, her first mother’s day without her husband.
To start, even though I had booked more than three weeks in advance, they failed to find our booking (after 15 minutes of waiting by the door to be seated). We had to make our own tables up, request menus, get our own serviettes and request cutlery. It took an age to order food and drinks, and even then they no longer had three of our orders.
Food took over an hour and three quarters to arrive, and with my young daughter sitting at our table it was not an easy time, grateful that we had brought colouring with us as there was nothing else for her to do and the pub had nothing for her. When dinner finally arrived, they mixed our table up with the next table, so there was real confusion, and more delay in getting our food, which was, not to anyone’s’ satisfaction!!! Rump steak was tough, ribs were just fat and bone, fish and chips were varying in temperature, flavourings on the chicken were a new experience… You get the idea!
A massively dissatisfying meal and evening out. However, the person I feel most sorry for is the poor waitress, who had only been working there for a week, and was trying to meet, greet, and serve etc. every single person in the pub by herself, and given the fact she was by herself she did an amazing job, however, one person cannot serve that many people and she looked knackered, over worked and could not meet everyone’s needs. The girl needs to be congratulated and apologised to by her employers for the evening, and as for everyone who had the misfortune of choosing the pub for their Mother’s day dinner, should be refunded in full (and probably compensated for such a displeasuring and gross waste of an evening) We would have asked for a refund ourselves, had it not been so late and with so many people needing to travel home, my father (after not eating his ribs, aka the bones with attached fat drowned in sauce) and needing to take a quick trip to Mc Donald’s next door, and my daughter kept up far too late.
Not eating here again, and going to ensure that anyone I hear of who plans on eating here, is aware of the abysmal failure that we encountered. You would think that with all the new competition (plus the old competition with the other three pubs nearby) that they would have made a bigger effort!

Stuart Y, General Manager at The Raven, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Many thanks for your comments, without feedback we can't improve. If you would like to discuss this further please call Stuart on 01473 718704 Regards The Raven