“Good location, nice rooms, but same chain let downs”
Review of Novotel Ipswich

Novotel Ipswich
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

this is my second Novotel in a week, and exactly the same review applies.
The room, the decor, the staff , the bar and reception area all perfectly OK.
The free WiFi poor, barely quick enough to web browse with and even hard work loading email and as others have commented expensive parking.
As i have said in other reports and will continue to ask, why are we charged for parking on site?surely the car park was laid with the hotel and to make around 1/4 of a million quid a year from it is wrong. Same as WiFi , the hotel is not charged per user, so why charge us ( accepted there is a free service albeit poor).
This is a mid range business chain, like Premier Inn, Holiday in Express etc, and as the others it has lost its way and become greedy. 110 a night is too much for B & B ( the breakfast was good tho). Did Lenny Henry get all of the cheap rooms ?

Room Tip: inward facing will be quieter as this is a busyish junction
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Novotel Ipswich Centre is full service 4 stars hotel, the other brands you mentioned on your comments are all budget hotels with limited service!. Each of the our hotel’s contemporary guest rooms comes with wireless internet and satellite TV. Our elements restaurant serves modern European dishes,and the main bar is the perfect spot to relax. I would like to inform you that we also do provide free web access in our lobby, on our iMac station. Our car park is secure, CCTV monitored. If you would like to get cheaper room rate, I highly recommend you advance booking through www.novotel.com. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Kind regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

absolutely fine for a business trip

my room was larger than expected and comfortable - no noise etc.

staff were friendly

buffet breakfast was good - and parking onsite though £8 made the whole experience very convenient

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed for business in June. In my opinion, the Accor chain has gone downhill. Novotel used to be nicer than average with a premium feel.

Good
- Reception staff
- Location
- Room amenities

Poor
- Cost of parking
- Budget hotel feel, not always a budget rate

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel in Ipswich. Our car park is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient and we do review of our car park pricing and have found that we are competitive in the market place. Please feel free to let us know immediately if you have any concerns during your stay in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Last second booking due to the nice weather, great placet to stay, close to the twon centre, shame about the cost for parking.

Easy to get around on foot and lots of good shops to visit, water front bars and cafe witin easy reach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Ipswich Centre. Our car park is secure, CCTV monitored, convenient and we do review of our car park pricing and have found that we are competitive in the market place. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Kind regards

General manager

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I must have visited a different hotel to those that have recently rated this as 4 or 5 stars. This hotel is conveniently situated for the town and for the reason why I was visiting Ipswich. However, because I booked over the phone I wasn't aware of the £7 parking charge. This is expensive for a city such as Ipswich and you can park for cheaper if you are willing to walk a few minutes in either direction. In our wing of the hotel there is one small lift that services several floors and rooms. This lift can fit about 4 people in with no luggage or just 2 with luggage and if visiting over a weekend, this is a nightmare. we found it quicker to walk to the 3rd floor and people queued for several minutes unit they can fit in the lift! The corridor outside our room smelt, as did the room. The rooms are extremely bland, with no pictures on the walls and really strange furniture, that looked like it was out of a scene from a 70s Star Trek Movie.
The sink is of a ridiculous shape and not convinced it started out life as a sink, rather an inverted speed bump. The toilets did not come with any loo brush so make sure you either don't use it or keep it clean.
We ordered Breakfast in our room in the morning as we knew we were going to be pushed for time. They provided a courtesy call informing us that the breakfast was on its way. 10 minutes later it arrived cold and late with no milk and the english breakfast was probably the worst I have had in a long time. Most of it being over-cooked which was odd as it was cold by the time it got to me. If they used the lift, then I can understand why. I am amazed that this hotel is a 4STAR hotel and would guess that this has not been reviewed in some time. I stayed the week before in budget level hotel from another popular branded hotel chain. It was just under a third cheaper and despite having a buffet do-it-yourself breakfast, was far superior in EVERY aspect. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless on a night out in Ipswich when you probably won't remember much the following day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Novotel in Ipswich. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, in the mean time I would like to inform you that we as Novotel don't provide toilet brush due to hygiene reasons but feel free to contact me on 01473 232400 or email me on H0995-GM@accor.com to discuss this further.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My company booked a meeting at this hotel and I assumed a bog standard chain hotel room but was pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are very spacious and well laid out, the breakfast was buffet but pretty good.
The staff were professional and friendly - all in all the very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Ipswich very soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a standard type of hotel, but with exceptionally large rooms - just the right temperature which makes a change! Huge beds and big bathrooms with good hot showers.I stayed with a group so we were fed a buffet type of meal, with cold starters and hot soup and puddings from a central island and the main hot course from a Bain Marie, a meat, fish and vegetarian dish each evening. Other guests were served conventionally. Food was OK, generous, and the staff were all delightful. Good parking. This modern hotel is very conveniently placed between the old centre and the regenerated quay side. Easy walking to both with lots to see and do. Hates were the charge of £2.50 for a bottle of water from the bedroom fridge and the scary car park barriers. Likes were the free wifi and little fresh milks in the bedroom fridge. All in we had a lovely time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Serhanilker, General Manager at Novotel Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay. I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Ipswich in the near future.