“Slow internet, hotel needs a refurb.”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Pros = Very nice and friendly staff who do the best job they can.

Cons = 256k internet allocated for free wifi internet usage, there is a pay for option which I would assume is faster. However I stay in a lot of hotels and 256k is very stingy when it comes to free internet usage 1Meg as a minimum would be more appropriate, the 256K connection felt like the dial up days.
The bed was very hard and resulted in sore ribs and a lot of tossing and turning. And the pillows were very thin and felt cheap regardless of choosing firm or soft. On the first night I was sweating all night as I thought this was due to the fact that the air conditioning wasn't functioning properly, I called reception who sent maintenance. It transpired that the radiator had been set permanently to the on position (fully on) and maintenance had to use a wrench to turn it off manually, adding to this that the air conditioning wasn't working and the heat in the room was unbearable for any length of time. Maintenance said it was for the comfort of guests as this was still classed as wintertime. If that's comfort, then I wouldn't like to see what they classed as uncomfortable. Adding to that the weather forecast was for up to 21 degrees last week. Anyway, the maintenance guys were nice and fixed the problem for me quickly. I did have a 5 month old baby in the room and high temperatures can be dangerous when sleeping at night. The iron didn't work and was replaced also. The pool although good has some sort of brown rust forming at one side. In conclusion I feel the staff are very good, but the hotel itself could do with a refurbishment and free internet should be faster and in line with competitors.

Would we book this hotel again? Not unless the above was advertised as improved.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank-you for your feedback on your stay.

It is disappointing that you didn't have a great stay.

As you know, I do provide all my guests with both my personal e-mail address, and phone number, so that I can be contacted if you are in anyway disappointed with your stay. In future, please let me know, and if there is anything I can help with, I will.

Paul Smith.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

A one-night stay on business, this was probably a little better than average for a hotel of this type / price point. The staff I encountered (check-in, check-out and in the bar) were friendly and in two cases went out of their way to be helpful. I didn't eat in the restaurant, but had a snack in the bar on arrival and for breakfast before leaving. Both were good quality and value for money.

The room was basic, but clean and comfortable, and very quiet. As an IHG member I had free wi-fi, but found it very slow, and reverted to my own Mi-Fi pretty quickly. There is a gym at the hotel, and although I didn't use it it seemed to be very well used by locals - the car par was pretty much full at 6.30pm, with most of those cars having gone by 8am next morning.

I would certainly stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Yorkshireman,

Many thanks for posting your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly. We do work hard to ensure our guests have a great stay, so I am pleased this was the case for yourself.

I have asked for a site survey from our wi-fi provider, so we can understand why you experienced a slow connection. I am sorry this was an issue for you.

Many thanks again.

Paul

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age Holiday Inn have no Freeview TV or free Wifi other than for club members.

The hotel it's self is in a good area, clean, warm and the staff are firendly.

I would stay again if in the area

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Worxelminxy
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Worxelminxy,

Many thanks for your review, and thank-you for your comments about the television channels. I am sorry we do not offer freeview, but we do have sky channels, as well as pay movies.
As for wi-fi, yes, you are correct, this is free for our IHG Rewards members, but it is very quick, easy and free to sign up; we are more than happy to help you when you stay with us again.

Thank-you again for your review.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Work took me to Ipswich so I booked this place on then IHG website. Easy to find, loads of parking, quick checkin. Room was good, loads of room, fridge, usual HI amenities. Clean and comfy bed. quiet good for sleep. Did not eat in the hotel as with clients elsewhere but the food I saw in the bar looked ok. Breakfast was good and hot. All the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful. Only one gripe is there was not enough staff in the bar in the evening. long wait for service - all the staff were working hard and apologised for the wait but simply just not enough of them. Would have had another few beers but could not be bothered to wait. Not a major issue and this would not put me off returning.

Room Tip: I was on second floor - quiet and clean
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Peter51964,

Many thanks for the great review about your stay.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and similarly pleased that you will stay with us again. I apologise that you were disappointed with the service in the bar. This is something I will be reviewing.

Thank-you again.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Fairly quick check in, long walk along the drab corridor to our room, took 5 mins to work out how the room card worked(we weren't the only ones)-room smelt musty on arrival, tiny bathroom with a half bath at the most. Extremely uncomfortable bed, lumpy and saggy made for terrible two nights sleep! Did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment. We did use the pool area which was nice, warm pool and jacuzzi and lovely steam room and sauna. Will look for alternative accommodation if in this neck of the woods again.

Room Tip: Maybe an executive room would be better!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear debseydoo101,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the key card and the bed. Please be assured that all your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had an excellent stay at this hotel - Staff were very friendly and helpful - rooms were very clean and beds comfortable. We also used the pool while we were there and found it to be well kept and a nice temperature. We also enjoyed the evening meals and breakfasts. We found this hotel very good value for money and would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Raymondo644,

Many thanks for the really great reviews !! Wow - 5 stars !! Thank-you.

I am pleased you had such an enjoyable stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

there are great holiday inns and there are ok holidays inns this is definetley just an ok one...its all a bit tired.the shower was weak....the corridors need decorating...the bar food was bland. instead of bread and BUTTER as advertised with the warm fish and chips i had bread and MARGERINE... when i asked the waitress why she said sorry...and walked off....on the good side...the room was spotlessly clean...comfy bed...pool was warm...receptionist was smiley and welcoming...cooked breakfast was very good....would i stay here again...yes probably...but i wouldnt have the fish and chips....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear paul t,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J