“Lovely hotel, fantastic staff”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
“Lovely hotel, fantastic staff”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal here over the Easter weekend in order to explore the Suffolk Coast. The staff were fantastic, always keen to help and went the extra mile many times to make our stay enjoyable. Very clean and basic but good pool and gym. Would definitely come again.

Stayed April 2014
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear SusieP333,

Many thanks for posting such a great review about your stay.

I am pleased you had such a great stay with us, and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards.

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Service excellent, room typical Holiday Inn, therefore clean, comfortable bed and choice of pillows, bathroom somewhat compact....you wouldn't want to be too fat as you could get wedged between door and sink unit!! Food in evening and breakfast was fine, though I did not have a cooked breakfast. The conference facilities were fine, water replenished, help arrived quickly to assist with the projector, and liked the fudge and sherbert lemons on the table. Second year that I have been here and would definitely visit and use for a seminar again. Didn't use the spa facilities, but they looked good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lynn T,

Many thanks for your great review about your stay.

I am pleased your conference went well, and that you enjoyed our great service and food.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel is clean and well presented, the common areas and bedrooms subject to recent decoration.
This Hotel is conveniently located for visits to the Suffolk coast and local places of interest like Sutton Hoo and Buy St Edmunds.
Reception staff were professional and very efficient.
The bedrooms are standard Holiday inn layout consisting of a medium sized bedroom area and an adequate if compact bathroom with a shower over the bath.
The staff are adequate and very helpful at this company operated site.
Therein lies the problem with the quality of the breakfast and bar food offered.
The ingredients are of poor quality, in my opinion less than basic supermarket quality.
They are centrally sourced from a central warehousing facility, so that the hotel is unable to source local products. Everything regarding the food revolves around the bottom line or profit returns on minimal investment resulting in poor and most of the time dire consequences.
The breakfast coffee is typical.It is acidic and served luke warm and the resultant offering taste as though the liquid is from steeped stale cigarette ends. With the purchasing power of IHG a better solution would be sachets of coffee served in an individual pot as the tea is served.
My advice is book on a room only basis and eat elsewhere.
The hotel has a pleasant pool and activity centre which we did not make use off.
The hotel management are constantly reporting customer grievances regarding the food situation but higher management file the comments in a suitable waste container.
The bar menu logo is food that hits the point, the point being your wallet for dire food.
Would never eat in this establishment again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr. Maskell,

Many thanks for taking the time post a review about your stay.

While I am of course pleased that you found the hotel clean and well presented, and the staff friendly and professional, it is of course disappointing that you had a poor experience with the food.

As you are aware, I provide all of my guests with not only my e-mail address, but also my personal phone number, so please do let me know should you have issues during your stay, as I will do all I can to remedy them before you depart.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have stayed at The Holiday Inn a few times now and have enjoyed it each and every time! The staff are friendly the rooms are a decent size and clean. And of course the kids have lots of fun in the swimming pool. I'm not going to list pro's and cons as i usually do because there really is not many cons :) I guess maybe the cleaners charging into your room early in the morning but then just keep the door locked. Its also very quiet which personally i like... There have nether been a lot of people in the pool which is good and they also have a jacuzzi and two saunas.

All in all its a great place to take the family and to go alone if your just looking for a break and to relax!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ben W,

Many thanks for taking the post a great review about your stay.

The pool and the free parking (not so common in Ipswich) are a couple of things which makes guests return again and again, but the biggest reason is our great staff. I am pleased you had a great stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My brother and my New Sislaw had their reception here.
As Ive always lived in Ipswich and seen this hotel change hands many times, I was a little dubious on what to expect.
I was pleasantly surprised. The reception when we arrived was a bit confusing as the lady at the reception was not very informed and only after several questions pointed us in th right direction.... Drinks I thought were expensive, but the service was exceptionally friendly and very good.
The wedding room was lovely, I dont know how much was due to brother and sislaw or down to holel, but had lots of querkie things for example the sweetie trees and balloon images of bride and groom. Our Wedding Meal was very nice and didnt have that multi catered feel about it, they catered for everyone (including a picky veggie) again service was very good.
The whole evening flowed smoothly (especially for the bride and groom) which was lovely and for me as a guest I couldnt fault it. Our waitress even went out of her way to find my other brother which he had dropped in the bar area.
A really enjoyable evening and the staff were brilliant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Linda P,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review about your experience at a wedding which was held here at the hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed the food, and the great friendly service we offer, and of course very pleased that event was a big success.

We do try very hard to ensure our guests have a great stay, so I am pleased this was the case for you.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel looks like a 1960s primary school turned into a hotel. It good definitely do with a paint job. Room was unnaturally hot and I had difficultly getting to sleep despite adjusting temperature.

Food in the bar was overpriced and poor (£12 ish) when I would have been satisfied with this quality if I had only paid £7ish.

Staff were friendly though and the gym and pool were nice

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Malcolm S,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shoreham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Pros = Very nice and friendly staff who do the best job they can.

Cons = 256k internet allocated for free wifi internet usage, there is a pay for option which I would assume is faster. However I stay in a lot of hotels and 256k is very stingy when it comes to free internet usage 1Meg as a minimum would be more appropriate, the 256K connection felt like the dial up days.
The bed was very hard and resulted in sore ribs and a lot of tossing and turning. And the pillows were very thin and felt cheap regardless of choosing firm or soft. On the first night I was sweating all night as I thought this was due to the fact that the air conditioning wasn't functioning properly, I called reception who sent maintenance. It transpired that the radiator had been set permanently to the on position (fully on) and maintenance had to use a wrench to turn it off manually, adding to this that the air conditioning wasn't working and the heat in the room was unbearable for any length of time. Maintenance said it was for the comfort of guests as this was still classed as wintertime. If that's comfort, then I wouldn't like to see what they classed as uncomfortable. Adding to that the weather forecast was for up to 21 degrees last week. Anyway, the maintenance guys were nice and fixed the problem for me quickly. I did have a 5 month old baby in the room and high temperatures can be dangerous when sleeping at night. The iron didn't work and was replaced also. The pool although good has some sort of brown rust forming at one side. In conclusion I feel the staff are very good, but the hotel itself could do with a refurbishment and free internet should be faster and in line with competitors.

Would we book this hotel again? Not unless the above was advertised as improved.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank-you for your feedback on your stay.

It is disappointing that you didn't have a great stay.

As you know, I do provide all my guests with both my personal e-mail address, and phone number, so that I can be contacted if you are in anyway disappointed with your stay. In future, please let me know, and if there is anything I can help with, I will.

Kind regards

Paul Smith.

Travellers are raving about these Ipswich hotels