“Road to nowhere”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After a battle at reception to get the double room I booked , I'm not sure I benefitted as was given probably the smallest double room I've ever stayed in. Why was it that the manager could find a double room on the system when the receptionist was insisting they were full? It was little more than a broom cupboard and as it was at the end of the corridor next to the fire escape, perhaps it was a conversion? I didn't use it but the pool looked a reasonable size and the gym looked ok. My evening meal was surprisingly very nice. I had the lamb and couscous . Although my colleague spent the night being sick after a burger . Breakfast was good. Nice and fresh despite it being a buffet. Plenty of parking and handy location wise. But oh the room....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear RischTetbury,

Thank-you for your review.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We have various room types, which are all purpose built bedrooms.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable evening meal and breakfast. As for your colleague, please ask him him to contact the hotel, so that we can fully investigate your report.

Thank-you again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great hotel with a fab Gym and Pool area, room was great with powerful shower , very clean and comfortable.

A small minority let the side down with poor service which can happen anywhere, young chap serving the bar for lunch was more interested In reading the paper than serving, when I made the comment I thought you would come to my table to take the order I got the shrug of the shoulders.

And the food in the evening was poor as I had not gone for the 14.95 eat from buffet but ordered from the menu, it was very poor, cold and cooked badly.

Saying that the lady serving did all she could to make amends , so well done to her.

On the whole great hotel except for the food.

2  Thank monkey170

Dear Monkey170.

Thank-you for the 5 star review !!

I am pleased you had such a great stay !! I appreciate the points you raised, which I will of course look into.

Thank-you again for your review, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 days on a work trip. Check in was fine apart from the internet conversation, but ill come on to that in a bit. Room was just like any other Holiday inn - does what it needs to. Bed was hard, but Im a bit soft like that so can't really complain. Elements of the hotel could do with a refresh or a lick of paint, but have certainly stayed in worse.

I asked for room service, ordered steak sandwich - it came raw, without being asked really how id like it (i assumed wrongly that as it was a sandwich, i wouldn't need to ask) also the sausage bar snack in honey glaze, was literally cut up breakfast sausage with a sauce, and cold. However they did change the menu on the day 2 - much better.Breakfast was buffet and very good. Staff all friendly and polite.

On check in I asked about internet, to be told £7.95 for 4 hours, per device. Steep I thought as I had an iPad and laptop for work. I couldn't get 3G in my room either, so had to purchase 3 lots of internet during my stay - quite expensive really as most hotels now come with free internet - something which a business hotel like this should consider rather than knowing people will just pay as its work. Saying this though it was a good speed.

Would stay again if in area as not a lot of choice for what I wanted. Could do better.

Dear Mikeyd1976,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Ipswich. I am pleased that overall you had a good stay, and the good news is that from July, we are offering free wifi to all IHG Rewards members (free to join), so we will look forward to being able to offer you this when you stay with us in July.

Thank-you again for your review.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Clean, and excellent value for one night stay, includes lovely swim pool and gym................ would defo stay again.... plenty of tea and coffe facility in the rooms, comfortable sleep ..... to finish off with a full english breakfast in the morning

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Caroline3456,

Many thanks for posting such a great review.

I am pleased you were able to take advantage of all that the hotel has to offer, at a great price.

Don't forget, we have the best price guarantee if you book direct.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The last time I stayed at a Holiday Inn, they were very basic so I was not expecting anything but satisfactory. However, it seems everything has changed! From the moment we arrived, we were welcomed warmly by the reception staff, directed to rooms which were clean and bright and ordered lunch at the bar. Lunch was not great but a staff member listened attentively to the problem and set it right straight away. Our whole stay was excellent and this was 99% due to fantastic staff, three of whom deserve a special mention here:
Jade, throughout our whole stay was chatty, bright and very engaging with us all including my three year old daughter.
Sandy (breakfast waitress) was so friendly and helpful particularly in view of the fact I needed to find out ingredients in several breakfast items due to my daughter's food intolerences
Paul the chef went out of his way to hand make my daughter things she could eat (children's menu contained a lot of dairy/eggs which she is allergic to and unable to eat) - these were received very well and we had an exceedingly happy and well fed child.

Due to my job, I have been fortunate to have stayed in many five star hotels - the service we received at this Holiday Inn in particular was superior to that I've received in some 5* establishments in the past! The staff were genuinely friendly and not obsequious at all.
The pool was great and well maintained, plenty of fresh towels and clean changing facilities. Only drawback was the terrific (awful) amount of chlorine used in the hot tub - even after two showers, I could still smell it on me and will need to put swimming costumes through another wash.
Very comfortable beds and pillows are labelled hard and soft - both actually very comfortable. I ordered more blankets as the duvet didn't seem heavy enough. However, it was very warm and I was far too hot with blankets too. Bathrooms basic but really tiny - hard to fit two of you in there - and the second person in my bathroom was a 3 year old! But if you're just zipping in and out, it's adequate.
I really rate this hotel and it's very convenient for Ipswich and National Trust properties.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed quiet and comfortable; our family were spread over a twin and double
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Henrietta W,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post such a great review on Trip Advisor.

Thank-you also for contacting me personally with your feedback on your stay. As promised, I have thanked the team, and in particular Sandy, Paul and Jade for their great work.

We will all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal here over the Easter weekend in order to explore the Suffolk Coast. The staff were fantastic, always keen to help and went the extra mile many times to make our stay enjoyable. Very clean and basic but good pool and gym. Would definitely come again.

Stayed: April 2014
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear SusieP333,

Many thanks for posting such a great review about your stay.

I am pleased you had such a great stay with us, and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards.

Paul

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Service excellent, room typical Holiday Inn, therefore clean, comfortable bed and choice of pillows, bathroom somewhat compact....you wouldn't want to be too fat as you could get wedged between door and sink unit!! Food in evening and breakfast was fine, though I did not have a cooked breakfast. The conference facilities were fine, water replenished, help arrived quickly to assist with the projector, and liked the fudge and sherbert lemons on the table. Second year that I have been here and would definitely visit and use for a seminar again. Didn't use the spa facilities, but they looked good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lynn T,

Many thanks for your great review about your stay.

I am pleased your conference went well, and that you enjoyed our great service and food.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Thank-you again.