“Decent hotel”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights on business. Decent hotel, friendly staff, food in the restaurant was of a good standard I had the fish and chips which was really nice, mind I was starving. The gym and pool are of a good standard also. Some minor points if my room was any further away from reception I would have needed a taxi to get to breakfast, not a problem unless you are not too mobile, so if you do have mobility problems probably best to ask for a room near reception. The bathrooms are really small and the door is annoying. I also think in this day and age wi fi should be free especially to loyalty members but it isn't. Breakfast was good and all in all I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Colin R,

Many thanks for posting your review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and the good news is that from July you can enjoy free wifi by simply joining our loyalty scheme, IHG Rewards.

Thanks again for the review.

Paul Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere reasonable priced to stay for a girls night out (Barry Manilow concert) and this is one of the few hotels that would accommodate 3 ladies in 1 room.

Check-in was very quick and when we got to our room, the sofa bed was already fully made up. There was an extra set of towels but no extra mug or supplies (quickly rectified when we called reception). The room was light and airy and the wooden slide shutters as opposed to curtains are an excellent idea. We had a late night but the morning sunshine couldn't creep in to wake us too early from a good sleep. The bathroom was compact but very clean with lovely fluffy towels and a tray of complementary toiletries. (and a very quiet loo!!)

The staff were very professional yet friendly and very helpful, when we enquired about taxi companies, they booked a taxi for us.

We decided to eat in the bar and the food although it did take a long time to be served, was fresh and delicious. We spent a very relaxing couple of hours before getting ready for our night out which was much appreciated.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable experience and really good value for money :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly B
Dear Kelly,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post a review about your stay.

I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and I trust that Barry Manilow exceeded your expectations, in the same way that we did !!

We hope to see you again next time, as we just "cant smile without you !" - we will even offer Barry a free room if he comes back to Ipswich !!

Paul
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here one night on 10th May 14. Greeting at reception was good and everything explained well. Room was small but clean and reasonable decor, although the bed felt like it might have been a small double. The bathroom was probably the smallest hotel bathroom I have ever encountered. The door opened inwards and virtually touched the loo. Once you had managed to get into the bathroom, it wasn't too bad to move around, however, trying to get out was something else! because the door has to come in on you, it is really tight to be able to open the door and stand there without getting hit by the door! I understand that the building was not built to Holiday Inn specification and had actually been acquired from a previous hotelier, so not much they can really do about the bathrooms, other than to re-furbish the whole hotel. Used the pool facilities, which were very good. All staff were very polite and helpful. Breakfast was good and there was loads of parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DawnP731
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear DawnP731,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad that you liked our clean rooms and the breakfast options. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it is regrettable we fell short of your expectations during your stay. I apologize that the bathroom facility did not meet your standards. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions, as we really like the surrounding countryside. The hotel is always very welcoming, with really friendly, helpful staff. Our check-in was particularly good. We have always found it to be clean and comfortable, the food is excellent, and the service is really good: nothing is too much trouble. For a relaxing, homely break, either weekend or mid-week, it is an excellent choice. There are also excellent spa facilities, although I have not used them myself.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret J
Dear Margaret,

Thank-you so much for your kind words about your stay, as well as your guest comment card which you completed, which I shared with the team.

It was our pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Inn Ipswich, and we will look forward to your next visit.

Paul
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After a battle at reception to get the double room I booked , I'm not sure I benefitted as was given probably the smallest double room I've ever stayed in. Why was it that the manager could find a double room on the system when the receptionist was insisting they were full? It was little more than a broom cupboard and as it was at the end of the corridor next to the fire escape, perhaps it was a conversion? I didn't use it but the pool looked a reasonable size and the gym looked ok. My evening meal was surprisingly very nice. I had the lamb and couscous . Although my colleague spent the night being sick after a burger . Breakfast was good. Nice and fresh despite it being a buffet. Plenty of parking and handy location wise. But oh the room....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear RischTetbury,

Thank-you for your review.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We have various room types, which are all purpose built bedrooms.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable evening meal and breakfast. As for your colleague, please ask him him to contact the hotel, so that we can fully investigate your report.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great hotel with a fab Gym and Pool area, room was great with powerful shower , very clean and comfortable.

A small minority let the side down with poor service which can happen anywhere, young chap serving the bar for lunch was more interested In reading the paper than serving, when I made the comment I thought you would come to my table to take the order I got the shrug of the shoulders.

And the food in the evening was poor as I had not gone for the 14.95 eat from buffet but ordered from the menu, it was very poor, cold and cooked badly.

Saying that the lady serving did all she could to make amends , so well done to her.

On the whole great hotel except for the food.

2 Thank monkey170
Dear Monkey170.

Thank-you for the 5 star review !!

I am pleased you had such a great stay !! I appreciate the points you raised, which I will of course look into.

Thank-you again for your review, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 days on a work trip. Check in was fine apart from the internet conversation, but ill come on to that in a bit. Room was just like any other Holiday inn - does what it needs to. Bed was hard, but Im a bit soft like that so can't really complain. Elements of the hotel could do with a refresh or a lick of paint, but have certainly stayed in worse.

I asked for room service, ordered steak sandwich - it came raw, without being asked really how id like it (i assumed wrongly that as it was a sandwich, i wouldn't need to ask) also the sausage bar snack in honey glaze, was literally cut up breakfast sausage with a sauce, and cold. However they did change the menu on the day 2 - much better.Breakfast was buffet and very good. Staff all friendly and polite.

On check in I asked about internet, to be told £7.95 for 4 hours, per device. Steep I thought as I had an iPad and laptop for work. I couldn't get 3G in my room either, so had to purchase 3 lots of internet during my stay - quite expensive really as most hotels now come with free internet - something which a business hotel like this should consider rather than knowing people will just pay as its work. Saying this though it was a good speed.

Would stay again if in area as not a lot of choice for what I wanted. Could do better.

Dear Mikeyd1976,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Ipswich. I am pleased that overall you had a good stay, and the good news is that from July, we are offering free wifi to all IHG Rewards members (free to join), so we will look forward to being able to offer you this when you stay with us in July.

Thank-you again for your review.