“Give the restaurant a miss”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here 18-19 July with tour group. Room clean but bathroom minute and used towels were never replaced. Breakfast ok if you stuck to cereals but cooked courses were either over or undercooked.
Self-service group dinners were revolting. No sign of a menu, very limited choice ("When it's gone, it's gone" seemed the motto), food badly prepared and tasteless: more like bad hospital food. No service at all; no one to complain to. If you stay here, think carefully about where you eat.
Hotel management: you have been telling dissatisfied customers "We value your feedback and strive to improve" for years (see earlier reviews on Trip Advisor), but it suits the corporate bottom line to carry on as before.

2  Thank jaberwock
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear jaberwock,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all experience you had that did not live up to your expectations. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Relaxing 2 night stay. Great location but need to drive if you want somewhere to go to for a drink.
Rooms were fine, everything you need.
Pool clean and enjoyed the jacuzzi to unwind.
We didnt eat in the restaurant, but the menu was great.
Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Spencers2010,

Many thanks for the kind review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Paul

Reviewed 21 July 2014

On the plus side the place is well located and easy to find. Room quiet for the location. Room clean and obviously recently refurbished with hair dryer and ironing facilities.
Then the negatives:
I weigh eight and a half stone, and I had trouble turning round in the bath room.
The tv had a mind of its own (no I'm not technology stupid)
The room didn't even boast a tourist leaflet or a Gideon Bible!
But where it really fell down was the customer service and poor quality food.. Not rude staff but no staff! This was felt especially in the dining room. I was part of a tour group, with a firm I have had several successful holidays with and NEVER have I come across such arrangements since I was a poor student backpacking in the back of beyond.
Usually this firm manages to get dinners for the group in a private room with some waiting staff, and food of a decent quality. Not here. We were plonked in the main restaurant but there was no indication of where we were meant to sit or what we were going to eat. Not a typed sheet nor a reservation sign in sight. The food had been dumped onto a buffet arrangement and we served ourselves once we had worked out what was on offer. It couldn't even rise to different serving spoons for different vegetables. The food appeared to be the remains of a massive freezer clearout. Meat resembled that in a frozen tv dinner, and the fish looked no better than the stuff my gran dished up to the cat before the advent of Kit-e-Kat. The worst was "salmon" slathered in some bilious yellow gloop and served up with long frozen carrots. The desserts were sugar, sugar, sugar - the fruit salad offered disappeared fast and there was no one to ask whether the pair of grapes and the orange segment left would be replenished. Where/whether tea or coffee would be served remained a mystery. There was no one to ask about anything, no one to clear the tables and no one to complain to. On leaving no one asked had I had a good time, nor wished me a pleasant journey.
I am realistic. This is a chain hotel at the budget end of the market and I don't expect a Michelin service here. But really, I felt that as a tour group we were not seen as worth the effort and none was made. Maybe the attention went to those eating a la carte. But fivers on legs have voices so I am speaking now. And I would point out that I have stayed at other hotels in the same marketing niche and had MUCH better than this.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the swimming pool and not facing the access road are very quiet

Dear Borderer12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We're deeply sorry for the issues you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that fell below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional information. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here since it's near my parents house. Seems more like a place to stay for business than pleasure although the breakfast buffet is pretty good as long as you don't leave it too late (things run out). Gym is OK - pool a bit small (not really for laps) and as seems usual it's a sports club too so often quite busy.

Does have good A/C which was very nice during the heatwave. Not located near anything walkable. Bar is a bit limited. Beds not super comfy. Bathrooms very tight on space but well appointed. Our bathroom door would not close (warped door) though. Expensive coffee (regular filter coffee was 3.50GBP!).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Warx,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast options. However, I am sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent a Sunday evening in this hotel whilst visiting haunts old and new in Suffolk.

The hotel is very easy to find (always a bonus after a long journey) and the welcome was both friendly and professional.

The room was clean and comfortable with a good view of surrounding countryside and provided everything we needed.

As we had eaten a large lunch we decided to have sandwiches and a bottle of wine in the bar in the evening and this was served promptly at our table by a barman who was pleasantly chatty and shared useful local knowledge. The food and wine were just what we needed and excellent value. It was particularly useful to have the flexibility to eat in this way rather than being forced into a restaurant for a large meal we didn't need.

Breakfast was included in our deal and was also very acceptable though had we paid the £15 per head asking price we would have considered this excessive for what was on offer.

Given the negative comments about the food read in previous Trip Advisor reports we were pleasantly surprised and will certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 999KenV,

Many thanks for posting such a great review about the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I travel alot with work and mostly stay within the holiday inn chains. After a long drive arrived at 9pm last night to a lovely warm welcome and a very comfortable and quiet room. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff there who were especially accommodating looking after my fussy requests for salad and fruit in the restaurant.
Hope I have to stay again for a nice relaxing night.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Scubydoo,

Wow - Five stars !!

Thank-you for your review.

I am pleased you had a great stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Ipswich last weekend as I was attending a Motor Sport Weekender at Foxhall Stadium. I booked a standard room but was upgraded to an executive. Room was great, hotel bar was good too - will be staying again next year, so cant wait to book up! Well done and thankyou!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank BD070
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear BD070,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we will look forward to your return next year.

Don't forget, by booking direct, we guarantee the best price !!

Thank-you again.