“The best in the area”

Holiday Inn Ipswich
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have been staying at the hotel on and off for a few weeks now. On arrival, the staff are always helpful and courteous. The rooms are clean and comfortable, any problems I had (only one) was addressed in a timely manner. The restaurant is fine and any special dietary requirements can be solved by speaking to the head chef. I have stayed in other hotels in the area but this one I have found to be the best. One gripe or moan as we all have one, would be the high speed internet, we all need it and this could be included in the price of the room. The free internet is ok for emails but not much else.

Room Tip: Talk to the hotel staff they are all helpful and will polite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Simon M,

Thank-you so much for writing such a great review.

I am very proud of my team here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich, and we do strive to ensure all of our guests have a great stay. I am pleased this was the case for you.

We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

TV massive - taking up excessive desk space. Would be better wall-mounted. Standard lamp switch hidden under curtains. Bedside lamp switches confusing. One switch mot visible as hidden behind bracket. Corridor quite noisy during day and night. Impossible to manoeuvre a standard wheel-chair to desk and back as gap too narrow. Desk chair had dried-on food spilled on it. Sweetener is not the one approved for people with Diabetes - should be sucralose, e.g. Splenda, Yellow Canderel, Nevella or another brand of sucralose. Could not find Gideons Bible.

Threshold bar at bathroom door too high to get over easily in wheel-chair. WC pan of very odd (foreign?) design causes splashing when urinated in by male guests, due to a large horizontal surface where water trap usually is. WC could not be flushed without having to touch seat and lid, due to flush lever badly positioned behind top of seat and lid (when raised). WC too close to washbasin.

Breakfast much too pricey. Wifi chargeable, expensive

Room Tip: Disabled rooms are near reception, so may be noisy from corridor - but worth asking
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arthur255

Dear Arthur 225,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. I am particularly grateful for the feedback about the room for a wheelchair user. I will be reviewing your comments with the hotel owner.

I am sorry you found the corridor outside your room to be noisy, we do try to monitor this, particularly at night, so please do call us in future if you have any issues.

Many thanks again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Reception was well presented as was the front Bar and Lounge.
The rooms were accessed from alongside the reception desk, upon entering the accomodation area you get the feeling of being in an old fashioned hospital, the white and cream corridors and white doors accessing each room looked rather sterile.
The room itself was quite large, but the bathroom tiny and it was difficult to get in and out without colliding with the door, the basin was cracked and a chip out of the enamel, in all the rooms could benefit from an upgrade.
The restaurant although it looked good, the food was dire, Garlic Mushrooms as a starter was actually one mushroom sliced upon a small piece of bread, the garlic was just a paste.
Main course, the steak was cooked as requested, but the veg was overcooked, the french fries were cremated and the salad was just thrown on the plate ( No finesse and heaps of raw onion), in all it looked like the Chef had previously worked at Burger King. The staff tried to pacify and I was told the Manager would contact me in the morning , but this did not happen.
The hotel itself would benefit from upgrade and a change of chef !
The pool did look nice but was untried.

Room Tip: Try another Hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul E

Dear Paul E,

Thank-you for your review.

I note your comments about your room. I am pleased you liked your bedroom, and I realise you found the bathroom a little small. Unfortunately I cannot alter the size of the bathroom, so we do ensure they are clean and well serviced.

Thank-you also for your comments about the food, which I will be reviewing with the Head Chef. As you know, I provide my personal e-mail address for all guests to contact me, but if you have an urgent matter, please call me on my phone - all of my guests are given my number at check-in.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The staff here are friendly and helpful, with a nice pool and good value breakfast. Like many Holiday Inns, this one is looking a little dated especially the bathroom and corridors. Good value for a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear TedDougal,

Wow - Five stars !!

Thank-you.

I am so pleased you had a great stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The executive room was badly setup Big work chair but no room to use it and work at desk The designer shutter on windows didn't keep light out .Far small bath room ( would be better just with shower) Tatty tiling re-grouted over black mould. Kept waiting at reception for too long twice as senior staff kept receptionist occupied with other task . Luckily nothing to settle so just left cards keys and went . House keeping started far to early for a Sunday morning and the clattering and hoovering noises in adjacent room made sleep impossible. Free wifi for the IHG members was poor as throttled to get you to pay for a premier service .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TedDougal

Dear TedDougal,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your review about your stay.

I am of course disappointed that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay, but please be assured that I will be considering your comments when planning future investment in the hotel.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

It is a superb value for the money and very relaxing too with lovely professional staff
Great Vintage Pub near by with home made food ( 400 yards from hotel)
Swimming pool great and gym too
AGAINST: Small room and small toilets . we could just barely move in our bedroom and we are not huge. I would not like to go there if i was a huge guy or bigger than i am> (14 stone)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Carlo R,

Many thanks for your review about your stay.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

this is a holiday inn not a Hilton so before you bad review it think about the price you paid .we paid 124 for a executive room I think its worth paying a little extra for the upgrade.we had breakfast evening 3 course meal included the hotel is clean comfortable but not luxury.the area is just outside Ipswich town center which is a bonus as the town is not worth going into far to tatty.insure you go to all the small villages they are beautiful classy and elegant.we ordered the garlic mushrooms rump pepper steak and puddings food was fantastic couldn't fault it and I am fussy.rooms were fine bathrooms clean but dated.coffee and tea in rooms pool and steam and sauna so really cant complain at the price we paid lots of parking for the cars too.

Room Tip: choose the executive rooms not so basic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jazzy G,

Many thanks for the great review.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

I hope you enjoyed exploring Suffolk.