“Awful, cold, smelly and disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awful, cold, smelly and disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

If I hadn't already paid in full, Id have left the moment we got there. They place is freezing cold, smelly and hasnt been cleaned or seen a lick of pain in the last decade.
The awful spring beds are not easy to sleep on and I had a terrible back ache next morning.
Breakfast was poor, so was the service.
The bath/ toilet was dirty, smelled bad and did not have warm water. They shower gave out a half hearted trickle of water and was no good.
Please avoid this place, or you will regret it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Caledonia_Lassie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed for 3 nights last week with 2 German Collegues. All I can say is DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.When we complained about the lack of heating, they brought us portable electic heaters. I would have left the minute we arrived but I paid in advance. As a contractor I am used to the lower end of the market but this place is one aqbove sleeping in the car.

Room Tip: Stay away - try the Cameo it was excellent value
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Michael H
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

The worst 'hotel' I have ever seen.
This dump should not be permitted to stay open. To describe it as horrible is the understatement of the year. Many years ago I worked as a housing advice officer
dealing with landlord tenant disputes, tenant complaints and finding accommodation for the homeless. Some of this accommodation was not great but it served a need. I would not
have sent any of my clients to this terrible place. Night Shelter would be more attractive.
Do not stay there. We paid £59 for a double room, we were robbed.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm E
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Place was disgusting, dirty, staircase was terrible. Rooms dirty. Doss house.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms before paying
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank musicfan190
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Room was terrible. Best description of it is doss house. My suspicions were raised when the owner insisted on full payment for the week the moment I stepped through the door before I had chance to see the room. I think he's had a few runners. I'm a contractor so I've stayed in a few shall we say run down establishments but this tops the lot by far. Only stayed the 1 week we then found a farmhouse which was cheaper, comfortable and clean. DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Juliothespark
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I read the Trip Advisor reiews AFTER I had already made my reservation for this hotel, the day bore I was due to chek in. I only stayed for the one night.
I was "upgraded" from a single ensuite to a double ensuite without asking or further charge which was nice.
The room is VERY basic BUT for £39 per night which included parking for the whole day, night and morning after the stay, plus breakfast which was plentiful I think it was very very good value. My bed linen and towels were spotless.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

I think people reviewing this hotel poorly may simply have lofty expectations. Perhaps I saw a fairly priced hotel close to downtown and assumed it would be seedy so I'm pleasantly surprised. I love my quaint little room and they make you a freaking home cooked from scratch breakfast every morning of practically whatever you want! I'm a vegetarian and they had plenty of options for me. Overall, i would definitely stay here again. Everyone is so nice and unobtrusive. Some things in my room didn't work, like the kettle, but they were immediately attended to. I think the key to staying here is just relax and say something if you need anything. I am quite happy.

Room Tip: Be sure to book early and if you don't mind sharing a twin bed, go for a single room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo