“STAY WELL CLEAR”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
warwickshire
“STAY WELL CLEAR”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Stayed recently,room dirty,very cold room,shower dribbled could not have a bath as taps removed?Double bed worn out springs poking through SWATTERS would have passed this one in fact if i knew where they were staying i would have paid them the £45.00 i paid!!!! P.S. must have painted on the three STAR RATING??????? Who ever writes a review enjoying this place how much were you payed???????????

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank kjon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

When I travel to Ipswich, I usually stay at Novotel, they offer rooms almost at the same price. They were booked out during my last visit and this was the only place that had rooms. That should have warned me enough I suppose. They offer no secure parking, the rooms are extremely cold and damp. When I requested they up their heating, they said it was already at max. I was so cold during the night I had to wear my jacket to warm me up.
The beds are very thin and frankly I would have slept on the floor if the carpets looked clean.
The rooms are not en-suite and by the time i went down for a shower (around 9am) there was no hot water left and there was a disgusting looking floating island left in the loo by someone. I had to go to my meeting without a shower and had to use the facilities there!
The staff are extremely rude and the owner would not even let me keep my luggage in the room before I paid him, which is a clever ply by them I suppose. If you took one look at the rooms you would not want to stay.
It better to drive further out to Kesgrave or Woodbridge rather than spending a night here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Christopher P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was there on 29 September for a friends anniversary party. Perfect and excellent location literally 10 minutes or less to the town shopping centre (shops within old style listed buildings as you turn right out of the hotel and christchurch park and wonderful buildings to look at if you turn left. The theatre, old and new town ipswich with the shops built in listed buildings and an ancient gothic church bang in shopping centre all within walking distance. Friendly straight down to earth staff and helpful, no false airs and graces, they were genuinely nice, which was great as I could feel totally relaxed. My room was just right, en suite. It had a listed buidling feel about it, with the chandaliers here and there and that old untouched feel to it which added to its charm. Old French hotels are similar and keep all the old stuff so great that the Carlton do the same. Definitely comfortable and that family run feel to it. I admire that the owners are able to keep this hotel running when they have competition from the named brands........I prefered this family run hotel and supporting the locals to keep these family run hotels going. Had a lovely freshly cooked breakfast in the morning, you can even have a continental breakfast with your bacon and eggs, hot buttered toast and juices, teas and coffees. Even though check out was a bit early for me at 10 am, I was able to relax and use Wifi in the lounge on the comfy chairs at my leisure and pleasure until I left. Location, atmosphere, absolutely peaceful and the price was just right for me. (oops pressed rating for fitness suite,,,,,,sorry folks cannot unclick.....there is not a fitness suite so terrible as there isnt one not that it was terrible! I will be booking again very soon.

Room Tip: Over 50s best stay on the 1st Floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I don't usually give reviews, but this one place really makes me want to warn people. I still want to take a shower everytime I think of this place.
The rooms are tiny, I hve seen broom closets bigger than their rooms and the bathrooms and toilets are disgusting.
The bathroom cieling are covered in mould and the WC has got so many stains on it that I didn't use it once during my stay, instead used the ones in Tower Rampart mall near by.
The bedsheet had suspious looking brown stains on it and tears. The rooms smelled disgusting and musty and the carpets were so worn out in places you could see the floor below.
The staff were rude and unhelpful. The breakfast and the location isnt too bad, but given the general condition of the place, there should be a warning preventing people from going inside it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelBug0281
Northants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Am giving this four stars to try and bring up the average rating a bit! Some reviewers are way too harsh on this budget accommodation. The service was really friendly and welcoming from when we checked in to an excellent breakfast the next day. Yes - the decor is tired and needs redoing but all the essentials are present and the location is a 5 min walk to the town centre which is what we wanted, there's free parking and WiFi and the room was cheap. Great service goes a long way - we've stayed in so called "better" hotels and not been treated anywhere near as well as at The Carlton.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in The Carlton Hotel for one night and got exactly what I was expecting. Clean, cheap and cheerful with a better and more personal breakfast than I have had in far more expensive hotels. Ok it could do with updating but then you would be paying double the price. It's got a great location a couple of minutes walk from the town centre and you can't fault the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
sheerness, Kent, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My first impressions were not good. Pulled up in the rear car park to find a load of rubbish piled up which should have been dumped a long time ago. Went in to the reception where the owner met me and took payment. I was in room 17 on the second floor. The room was clean and tidy but old fashioned. It was a bit on the cold side but there was an electric heater in the room which did heat the room to a comfortable level. The bathroom was clean and there were fresh towels which were replaced every day. I had breakfast on the second and third mornings which was on the mediocre side. My advice would be to stick to coffee and toast. The omelette was better than the full English. All in all I think this place should rebrand as a guest house rather than a hotel. Maybe then people would not have such high expectations and the place would stop getting slated. You can get better in a travel lodge or premier inn but for £20 extra per night, then another tenner for breakfast. If you want somewhere cheap to lay your head for the night this place is fine. If you are looking for more than that I would suggest booking elsewhere and paying the extra money.

• Stayed February 2012