“Good value, great host”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 1 July 2013

this hotel is a great location and the host goes over and above to ensure your stay is enjoyable. Breakfast was great and was happy to have wi-fi included in price as well as availability to park on site when at work. Great Budget hotel for a good location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights- 14th-15th May. I was working in the area and wanted value for money which is what I got. I got an en-suite with breakfast for £78- this is what I could have paid for a travelodge, but the Carlton had a better location to the centre and a cooked breakfast as opposed to a breakfast in a box. Rooms were basic, but comfortable and clean and I would stay again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Imran was a a real character. Always alert to guests needs. Cheerfully upgraded to a larger room upon request. Breakfast was a standout. Best coffee I've had on this holiday. The breakfast ladies couldn't be more obliging. Location was pretty handy for us. Tesco and laundrette 100 yards away. All major shops within easy walking distance. Must see Christchurch Mansion next time.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the top floor if you have large bags as the stairs are winding and narrow. Ho...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed here for the week as I was training for a new job, the hotel is over 100 years old so obviously it is worn but the rooms are clean. It is also a listed building so the owners can't modernise it, but why bother it is a nice period hotel. My bed was made every day and tea and coffee were constantly refilled, the breakfast was lovely and service top notch. For the price I couldn't ask for more, what do people expect, the Ritz. I was cold on the first night of staying here but then I opened my eyes and saw that there was a heater on wall that I could turn on. The shower worked fine and the hot water was hot. On my final day I was to told I had to be out by 10:00am, but this wasn't the case as I didn't start work till 14:00pm they allowed me to stay in my room until I left, still giving me tea and coffee throughout the day. For a value hotel I fully recommend the Carlton, and be warned that some people on here have never stayed there yet write a review to slate the business in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Barnard30024190
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed here with friends during a weekend break. We only needed a room for one night and my friend booked us in. I of course immediately looked it up on TripAdvisor! I was very put off by some of the past reviews, I've not stayed in many "budget" hotels and I was dreading what the conditions would be like! It is because some of the reviews made me feel uncomfortable that I decided to write one. Our welcome at the reception desk was friendly enough and the English breakfast in the morning was simple but nice. Our rooms were quite tired but I didn't think mine was unclean - I inspected the bedding and saw no reason to worry. The bathroom was old fashioned, lots of pipes, and I couldn't work out how to use the shower. One of my friends eventually found a button on the wall outside the bathroom in her room but I searched high and low to no avail! However - I simply had a basin wash, no real problem. The hotel is also near the town centre and we had a nice meal in a chinese restaurant about 10mins walk away. I agree with other reviewers that this is a basic hotel but as a brief stop off it suited our needs fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hetty_822
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Stayed recently,room dirty,very cold room,shower dribbled could not have a bath as taps removed?Double bed worn out springs poking through SWATTERS would have passed this one in fact if i knew where they were staying i would have paid them the £45.00 i paid!!!! P.S. must have painted on the three STAR RATING??????? Who ever writes a review enjoying this place how much were you payed???????????

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kjon
Reviewed 10 January 2013

When I travel to Ipswich, I usually stay at Novotel, they offer rooms almost at the same price. They were booked out during my last visit and this was the only place that had rooms. That should have warned me enough I suppose. They offer no secure parking, the rooms are extremely cold and damp. When I requested they up their heating, they said it was already at max. I was so cold during the night I had to wear my jacket to warm me up.
The beds are very thin and frankly I would have slept on the floor if the carpets looked clean.
The rooms are not en-suite and by the time i went down for a shower (around 9am) there was no hot water left and there was a disgusting looking floating island left in the loo by someone. I had to go to my meeting without a shower and had to use the facilities there!
The staff are extremely rude and the owner would not even let me keep my luggage in the room before I paid him, which is a clever ply by them I suppose. If you took one look at the rooms you would not want to stay.
It better to drive further out to Kesgrave or Woodbridge rather than spending a night here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business