“Basic, but could be more comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Basic, but could be more comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here overnight for a business trip last month. The room size is fine, and I had no qualms about the room itself, or the location- the only issue was the bed and pillows.

I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep, and the pillows were rock-hard. I like a firm mattress, but it was like sleeping on a block on concrete- my back was killing me the next day.

There was a bit of passing traffic noise due to the fact my room was facing the road, however I didn't sleep anyway so it didn't make a lot of difference.

I would suggest the owners invest in some better pillows, and perhaps have mattress toppers available on request, as otherwise I wouldn't have minded staying here again.

The reception staff were very polite and professional, and couldn't fault them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Upon arrival we were faced with the prospect of squeezing through the archway to the rear car park and witnessed a dump site of old furniture, overgrown weeds and over various tat ready for the tip but more likely to sit there permanently. Looking at the back of the hotel (In November) every single bedroom window was open - a bit strange. The guy on reception was charming and very helpful. The room was awful, the divan twin beds had the drawers missing with old rubbish and dirt in their place. The wardrobe had no doors with a bed against it so no access to it. The tea and coffee tray was sitting on the wardrobe shelf, the kettle was on the floor next to door and was covered in deep dust as was the health and safety notice. The shower room was dirty with five used soaps in the tray. The breakfast was ok and the serving lady very friendly. The preserves were large jars and not suitable for commercial establishments due to the potential of bacteria possible from double dipping!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard_Reba
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is an excellent basic budget hotel. The staff are helpful and friendly. The room was clean and although a little small perfectly good. The shower was large enough to have a good shower with room in the shower and the other facilities very good. The breakfast was superb more coffee and toast if required and the eggs and toast freshly prepared. Value for money very good. Strongly recommended by me but do remember it is not luxurious. Doubt you will find better value for money in Ipswich.
PS. Ity is also quiet although near the centre. Good pub to eat nearby the Greyhound ask for directions - it is on Henley Road

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Albert S
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is just on the edge of teh shopping area so ideal for a quick trip to load yourself up with goodies without having too far to walk having loaded yourself up.
The room was basic and functional and great value. I did cringe when I saw the state of the T.V. remote control which was in desperate need of a spray with disinfectant and wiping clean. As there is a microwave in the room (spotlessly clean!) then I guess the finer touches of cleaning grubby stuff after guests got overlooked - It didn't spoil the stay however and overall waould I go back? Definitely as the staff were friendly and it was great value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank K9TLS
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions during the months of June 2013 and July 2013. I was always well received and looked after by Imran and the other staff on each occasion and they were always friendly and polite. Rooms were basic but comfortable and had all the facilities and there was a good breakfast on offer each morning. It is in a good location for getting around Ipswich and I have advised other people looking for a room in the area to come here. When I am in Ipswich again, I would not hesitate in booking this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed at the Carlton for two nights with my wife and son. I had stayed once before in 2011 and remembered it as basic but nice. We had two small rooms, both ensuite, with all the usual extras, ie heater, TV, tea/coffee making facilities, bedside lights. The heaters were on when we arrived and the rooms were clean. The showers worked ok. The hostess and her helper were friendly and pleasant and the breakfast was very good. The location is excellent, just five minutes walk from the Town Hall and a few minutes walk from the Christchurch Park and the museum there. If I come to Ipswich again I will stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel , was received warmly and helped with my bags to my perfectly beautiful room , quite cozy , had a few issues like I couldn't work the heater but the owner swiftly addressed the issue , cheerfully , having re adjusted my bill to lower as I accidentally paid for 2 pple and did not realise , I still got a double bed , rooms are cleaned daily and the stuff and owners can't do enough for you , always with a smile , free parking and wifi available , breakfast included and the spread is impressive , fresh towels avail everyday , I couldn't ask for more and it's good value for money and all these haters and complainers , it's a BnB for goodness sake what do u want? if you not happy frankly for what u get compared to what you pay you probably should go to the ritz n stop putting these people down I personally think they are trying very hard and I was very impressed will stay there again and I have been recommending it ever since and I still highly recommend it even now

• Stayed June 2013