As I write this, I'm sat in my room at the Salthouse Harbour, using the free wifi. Is this cheating? Submitting a review before my stay has finished? I've been here before and not reviewed the place, so I think its time I did.
I think this is my fourth or fifth time here and it has never disappointed. I guess that stands to reason, because if it did then I wouldn't have returned and I wouldn't be writing this to tell you that it is one of my firm favourites. I'm here on business, so the company is paying, but the cost of the hotel is within scope and falls in line with (or cheaper than) the likes of Holiday Inn or Hilton. Yet the Salthouse Harbour delivers so much more than either of the aforementioned.
The hotel itself, so the room guide tells me, was an old Victorian warehouse that was converted into a hotel in 2003. The rooms are fairly large (even the standard ones) and are nicely decorated. The one I am sat in at the moment has one exposed brick wall and has two vintage-look leather chairs, indian-style furniture and a large flat screen TV. Extra touches include bottled Hildon water and nice tea and coffee making facilities. Oh, and the free Wifi.
Public areas are quirkily designer decorated. I've previously eaten in the restaurant and found the food to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to the breakfast tomorrow (included in the room rate) as this is always a highlight of the stay, a well cooked full english breakfast.
The staff are great. Always freindly and helpful. Check-in tonight took a few minutes and was done efficiently and without fuss.
Location-wise, its pretty cool too. Right on the water's edge over looking the harbour, with plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity, if you fancy stretching your legs. The car park gets a bit full, but you can leave your keys at reception and they will park your car for you and then make sure its available for you the next morning.
I know this probably reads like a fake review written by one of the hotel staff, but it's not. I can't fault the place. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm on business and on a what I consider a pretty good mid-week deal, which the company is paying. I'm just glad I have a customer up the road which gives me an excuse to continue to come back here regularly.
And you know what? if I ever get the chance to visit the area with my wife, I'd love to bring her here. and I'd happily pay the weekend asking price to stay in this wonderful hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This artfully designed boutique Hotel and Restaurant in Suffolk reflects luxury and dazzles in the waterfront of Ipswich's vibrant Harbour quayside at night. The Salthouse Harbour Hotel goes beyond what you expect and exudes its 4 star status in every curious corner, eccentric sofa and unstuffy cushion. The sea-salted brickwork exterior has been restored & rejuvenated into a ship shape contemporary warehouse of rich modern interiors and rooms adorned with vintage furniture, sculptures and eclectic art. Within its comfy chic decor, although the mood is friendly and relaxed, the staff are professionally attentive to your every need. The cuisine is exciting and the popularity of the Salthouse Eaterie fills this delightful waterfront restaurant as soon as the tables are laid. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your Salthouse Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Salthouse Harbour Ipswich
- Hotel Salthouse Harbour
- Salthouse Harbour Hotel Ipswich, Suffolk