“A welcome return....”

Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 4 April 2012

As I write this, I'm sat in my room at the Salthouse Harbour, using the free wifi. Is this cheating? Submitting a review before my stay has finished? I've been here before and not reviewed the place, so I think its time I did.

I think this is my fourth or fifth time here and it has never disappointed. I guess that stands to reason, because if it did then I wouldn't have returned and I wouldn't be writing this to tell you that it is one of my firm favourites. I'm here on business, so the company is paying, but the cost of the hotel is within scope and falls in line with (or cheaper than) the likes of Holiday Inn or Hilton. Yet the Salthouse Harbour delivers so much more than either of the aforementioned.

The hotel itself, so the room guide tells me, was an old Victorian warehouse that was converted into a hotel in 2003. The rooms are fairly large (even the standard ones) and are nicely decorated. The one I am sat in at the moment has one exposed brick wall and has two vintage-look leather chairs, indian-style furniture and a large flat screen TV. Extra touches include bottled Hildon water and nice tea and coffee making facilities. Oh, and the free Wifi.

Public areas are quirkily designer decorated. I've previously eaten in the restaurant and found the food to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to the breakfast tomorrow (included in the room rate) as this is always a highlight of the stay, a well cooked full english breakfast.

The staff are great. Always freindly and helpful. Check-in tonight took a few minutes and was done efficiently and without fuss.

Location-wise, its pretty cool too. Right on the water's edge over looking the harbour, with plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity, if you fancy stretching your legs. The car park gets a bit full, but you can leave your keys at reception and they will park your car for you and then make sure its available for you the next morning.

I know this probably reads like a fake review written by one of the hotel staff, but it's not. I can't fault the place. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm on business and on a what I consider a pretty good mid-week deal, which the company is paying. I'm just glad I have a customer up the road which gives me an excuse to continue to come back here regularly.

And you know what? if I ever get the chance to visit the area with my wife, I'd love to bring her here. and I'd happily pay the weekend asking price to stay in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you for a fantastic review!

I am pleased to read that you enjoy all the Salthouse has to offer.

I hope we can welcome you back soon,

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2012

After reading recent reviews of this hotel, doused in heavy praise for it's restaurant and facilities, I was really looking forward to my stay with my partner and his family. I loved the hotel's eccentric decor, but found the room to be rather lack lustre with what I would expect for the price. I was very disappointed to find that there was no mini fridge to store soft drinks and the only refreshments provided were tea/coffee and 2 bottles of water which were sat on the desk by a radiator. Not being a caffeine drinker, this was rather disappointing and since the room was exceptionally hot, the warm water was not appetising in the slightest.

The bed was nicely adorned, but it was rather too firm for a comfortable sleep. We declined the complimentary turn down service, but they did it anyway. We were highly unimpressed with the awakening at 6.30am of glass bottles being thrown in the disposal outside our window (which had to be open due to the ridiculous heat of the room).

The restaurant was the biggest disappointment. I sat down ravenous and eager to taste the hear say delights for a large family meal, but was unimpressed to leave the dining area just as hungry. The food was either over seasoned or over cooked. The champ potatoes accompanying my overcooked duck were so overpowered with pepper that I almost choked. I thought the dessert would redeem the shambles of a meal, but the sticky toffee pudding tasted horribly burnt. I found the entire meal inedible, as did the 3 other people accompanying me. The dining area, alike the hotel room was stifling and being pregnant and being unable to have the wine that was being offered to our party, I requested a soft drink. I had to ask the server 3 times and it was almost 45 minutes before my request was carried out and this left me feeling rather unwell. I didn't find the service particularly attentive, friendly or polite.

The only slight redeeming quality of our stay for me was the room service breakfast. A nice array of foods and I loved the tiptree condiments - very tasty, as was the hot chocolate! But overall, I would definitely not return, will not recommend to friends and do not think that it is value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Salthouse harbour hotel.

I am sorry on this occasion, that we did not meet or exceed your expectations.

Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Discreet, Debonair and a large dash of eccentric charm. This restaurant may not suit all tastes or budgets but the restaurant does it for me. Suits of armour draped in strands of baroque pearls were a particular favourite with David who likes his camp served with panache. Portions rather too large for the non-sailing fraternity but beautifully executed and served with professional good humour. Spacious, comfoirtable and wonderful location for an evening post-prandial walk along the water front.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Had a lovely 2 night stay here recently. The room was beautifully furnished. very comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant is good - book at busy times and the staff were very, very obliging and friendly. Couldn't recommed it enough!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Have just had a most relaxing week-end break at this 5* Hotel. All the staff at whatever level make you feel so relaxed.Room amazing,the view from room 509 with its balcony was everything we asked for. Food 1st class only eat here as the menu was excellent and also the wine list.would highly recommend this Hotel to all ages and cannot wait to return if next time only for one night the journey would be well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Four nights at the Salthouse was a perfect break – despite the weather! Most writers have commented on the friendly staff and it’s true – they are. We had a marina sail loft room on the 1st floor (room 111) and had a lovely view of the marina – not so compelling in the rain but lovely the rest of the time. There’s a nice vista from one of these rooms and, in my view, worth paying the extra. There’s always something going on outside to keep up the interest, including those walking to work or to study.
Even if you don’t have a marina room though, there’s plenty more to this hotel. We found it very relaxing, cosy and just a little quirky. It’s nice, for example, to have a drink in the comfortable lounge – which was never busy, and we were served reasonably quickly. A minor problem at this time of year is the cold draught that comes through the automatic (double) doors whenever people go in or out – which is frequent in such a busy hotel – despite a heater between them. Not a real problem though.
The room was just as spacious as I had hoped and with a good quality finish – yes, you might well find the odd blemish in the paintwork and there was a small leak around the shower cubicle but hardly noticeable amongst the many plus points. The pluses included a huge bed – nicely firm – nice décor and interesting light fitting (an egg-shaped fitting in our room). The aircon/heating was good – and please note that the maintenance team seemed to be fixing the slight ‘whirring’ noise from the aircon which a few people have commented on previously. It certainly worked in our room, though it didn’t bother us in any case. A slight negative which I am instructed to mention is the lack of a suitable mirror in a decent position close to an electricity socket – something to do with making oneself beautiful….
Car parking was ‘tight’ though we managed to get a spot every day. You might want to pick your arrival times carefully as it seemed that those lunching took up available parking spots which then became available again after about 2-2.30pm.
The food was indeed excellent – both at breakfast and dinner. We had arguably two of our best evening meals ever in Ipswich and one of these was in the hotel’s ‘Eaterie’.
It’s worth mentioning the dreaded one-way road system. It wasn’t much of a problem getting out of – the hotel is at the end of it – but getting into the hotel was not straightforward. However, road works during our stay probably dramatically increased the ‘angst’ involved. Nonetheless, this does seem to be a busy area for much of the day and so be prepared for some delay in your journey.
To conclude, this place – not unlike its sister hotel – has the knack of whisking you out of the hubbub and into a much more peaceful place. Hope we’ll be back sometime.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Probably one of the best locations for a hotel in Ipswich on a sunny Febuary Day.We booked on friday and arrived saturday for a one night spur of the moment break.
Reception staff very good, check in excellant. Room 306 , third floor overlooking the marina with a super kingsize bed as requested and plenty of room to move around in.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS GREAT, 'BUT', This hotel has a serious housekeeping problem, a designer bathroom, red and black mould on the tile grout,fixed shower screen had rust and corrosion at its base where it joined the bath, water staines on the bath panel below the shower screen and numerous poly-filled holes in the ceiling and damaged paintwork at the base of the bathroom door. Extractor fan either not working or not fitted . My wife found two used cotton buds in base of the rubbish bin.
SHABBY PAINTWORK ON THE WALLS AND SKIRTING IN THE BEDROOM WITH NUMEROUS AREAS ( especialy beside the bed adjacent the bathroom door ) which either required a good scrub or pollyfilling and repainting.
The cafetiere provided in the room had not been washed and dried inside.
Finally the ROOM CARPET was stained and tired.

The GENTS LOO adjacent the lift whilst having designer fittings and music was also not clean with stain marks on the cubicle doors and a chipped seat ?

'WHO LET THE DOGS OUT' I was surprised to hear a dog barking down the corridor. I would have thought that just an extra £5 a night to bring a dog with you was extremly good value as kennals cost three-four times more. Not to mention the cleaning and hygene implications of allowing dogs in rooms. I WOULD NOT LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING A ROOM THAT HAD AFEW HOURS EARLIER BEEN OCCUPIED BY A DOG.

Breakfast was very good, the quality of the Jimmy Butlers sausages and the wilkingsons jams along with the excellant bread was faultless. Having to ask the waitresses for and extra pot of jam, cup of coffee, slice of toast or anything as every detail was served to you at table was abit time consuming but thats my personal view.
OVERALL A NICE NIGHT AWAY, and i am pleased that i did not pay the full asking price that was 75% more than the other two nearby large hotels as i don't thing that it is worth that much untill they get the rooms clean and up to the standard that i would expect for £145 B&B.
I would be pleased to visit this hotel again as secret shopper and see if things have changed?
I look forward to the managers feedback ??

Room Tip: Know air conditioning in our room, just a small fan so pick an upper floor room if you want the wind...