“Super hotel”

Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Our second visit to Ipswich and the Salthouse Harbour Hotel for business. Lovely hotel, relaxing comfortable rooms, great food but above all else excellent staff. From check in to check out the staff could not do enough for us. Highly recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. I am glad to read that your stay with us was enjoyable and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Reviewed 25 February 2014

What an excellent hotel in a nice setting. We were going to be in the area and decided not to travel home and back again the next day so decided to stay overnight at the Salthouse.
We arrived early in the morning and expected not being able to check in but this was not a problem. The staff were very friendly and the hotel itself is of a very high standard, with great decorations. The only possible downside I believe is that the lounge area seems a little too small for the size of the hotel/restaurant as it becomes very busy with people having pre-dinner drinks or drinks after their meal and it becomes very difficult to get a seat. The restaurant was excellent with high quality food and a great selection of wines. The rooms again were very good and spacious. The staff were excellent and nothing was a problem for them. The only thing that I did find suprising was that for a hotel of this quality the Sunday paper was not complimentary.
Nothing could be faulted with our stay and if we are in the area again we would certainly come back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Richard

It was lovely to read your review on your recent stay at The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. I am happy that your visit with us was pleasant and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I visited the salthouse hotel yesterday for cream tea as it had been recommended by some friends and the hotel's website states they "We offer 3 indulgent packages to suit every need", these being cream tea at £6.95 per person and more expensive afternoon and luxury afternoon teas which include sandwiches and cake along with scones.
I chose the standard cream tea as my last that I had at a Norwich hotel came with a plate of 8 scones for two (at £9 each), so I was hoping for at least for a couple of scones and fresh cream.

When I arrived a staff member immediately blocked the way which was rather off-putting, asking "can I help you" in an abrupt manner as if I shouldn’t be coming in. After saying I had a table booked for cream tea, the staff member kept correcting me saying it was the full afternoon tea. When I said no I only requested (by email and booking) that it was the cream tea, she said crossly that "they'd made it all now!".
A little concerning that fresh cream had apparently been hanging around on a side for a while until I got there. She then stared at me without blinking as if wanting an argument. Very awkward. I asked what the afternoon tea was and she mumbled that there were sandwiches, cakes on a three tier stand. I was there with another so not wanting to make a fuss said that if it was already made specially then ok that’s fine.

For £32 they are trying to charge I expected so much more than what was offered. A cheap plastic blue cake stand containing mini children’s' party cream cakes, the kind that are frozen in Iceland, dry cupcakes with very cheap tasting icing and some dried up sandwiches with the crusts cut off. These were identical to the ones in children’s lunch box meals that can be bought at supermarket canteens. One dried scone each, not homemade, they had the familiar cheap 'glaze' over them from a supermarket. The cream was not fresh. Asked for blackcurrant herbal tea and received breakfast tea.

Not once did any staff come over to ask if everything was ok, I had to go to the hotel bar to complain and of course the bar staff could not help as they didn’t deal with food. A huge disappointment and not worth more than £10. Do not believe what is shown on the website.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Katie K
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Salthouse Harbour Hotel is a modern, characterful conversion and extension in the middle of Ipswich's rejuvenated docks. The boutique hotel has a range of rooms across 5 floors, most with a good view of the charming harbour. It also sports a good restaurant which caters for an impressive number of non-residents. Food is of a high standard - I had scallops with black pudding which was cooked beautifully. Restaurant staff at dinner and breakfast were attentive, efficient and fast. Breakfast has a particularly relaxed feel about it which is nice with an option to have breakfast in bed should you wish.

I stayed in room 401 which was generous, clean, cosy and warm. A modest balcony offered a good view of the marina. The TV didn't work (it didn't power up with remote control or manually) but the no-fuss internet access meant I just watched live TV on my laptop instead.

Its not an easy walk from Ipswich station - probably better to take a taxi which at around £7 is a reasonably small price to pay. There is a car park, but that seemed to fill up quite quickly. The centre of Ipswich is a 10 minute walk away.

At £130 per night, my expectations were met. Had the restaurant not been quite so good, I might have seemed a little over-priced howeve.r

Room Tip: Settle for the lower-end rooms - there more than adequate. If you're looking for a luxury stay...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
LynnCowan, Manager at Salthouse Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your stay The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our company booked this for business purposes. We often stay in corporate hotels so was totally surprised when I turned up here. Location is lovely overlooking the marina. The reception area is amazing but nothing compared to the rooms. I was on the fourth floor and when I walked in I thought I had died and gone to heaven.The room was faboulous and has great views including a small balcony with marina views. The furniture was quirk, huge bed and dressing table but the best was yet to come. The bathroom had the most lovely roll top bath along with quality templespa products supplied. The bathroom was was glass so you could look out into the marina whist in the bath but having the ability to make the glass wall "private" - just press the button and the wall "ices up" - making the bathroom totally private. I ate in the restuarant for two nights and the standard was brilliant. Please try you wont be let down. I have no reason apart from work to come to Ipswich but would like to return with my husband just to stay at this hotel again. Thanks Salthouse an amazing experience

Room Tip: Just ask for one with views of the marina will really make a difference
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. It was lovely to read your comments and I am glad that you had a wonderful experience with us. I hope we can welcome you back to The Salthouse Harbour Hotel in near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We love staying in this hotel. Big room, big bathroom & big bed. The decor is colourful and unusual giving the hotel an individual feel. Minus points - restaurant was fully booked, can be slow service in bar area and the heating was not on in our room. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your stay The Salthouse Harbour Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Delightful Room and lovely bathroom. Dinner acceptable but not great, breakfast not too impressive - considering it was fairly quiet, they had no croissants and no apple juice (both were being offered)? Staff in reception fine - restaurant staff very scruffy - dirty aprons, talking to each other and not seeing to the customers. Very slow service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hester K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
pentahotel Ipswich
#3 of 18 in Ipswich
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Salthouse Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!