“Local food heaven.”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Local food heaven.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I'm not quite sure how long this place has been open in its current capacity but I know I've been searching for it for the past three years! Food is top notch. I had delicious freshly prepared fish and chips and peas and a mug of tea. Just lovely and all reasonably priced. I wanted to finish the last three chips on my plate but my tummy was beaten (would've probably tried a dessert, had it not been for this factor). I'm actually writing this review whilst utilising the free wi-fi, which is a massive bonus for me, as I often like to go somewhere for a bite to eat by myself, and just enjoy the environment like it's an extension of my own living room; which is, traditionally, the function a pub has served for many guys for centuries. As a woman, I feel this place ticks both boxes. One side is a cafe/restaurant, and the other, a traditional boozer. Perfect for any company, for any meal of the day! My personal jackpot winner comes in the form of Bramble - a beautiful, elderly black lab. I'd add 'shy' to that list, except that adjective becomes void when the food comes out: she obviously appreciates its value! Bramble is led away when customers are eating, though, so those a little wary of dogs in eating establishments really don't need to worry. It's my first trip here but I already wish to be a firm regular. :)

Visited January 2014

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday Roast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Went for a family meal at the Old Times Guest House. Possibly the best roast dinner I have ever had. Dining room is nicely decorated and spacious. Had a drink in the bar area afterwards. Staff were attentive and welcoming. We would happily eat here again.

• Visited November 2013
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Proper home cooked food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

4 of us went to the dining room at the old times guest house for my boyfriend's parents anniversary meal. Firstly I was shocked by how beautiful it had all been done up inside, the bar area looked really welcoming and they had a good selection of drinks. The man who served us at the bar was friendly and we were soon welcomed through to the dining room, but were given the option of where we would like to eat (dining room or bar area). The dining room is nice and intimate, again nicely decorated and there was some nice background music during our meal. There was a really good amount of options for mains and dessert, and the price of these were really really good so I was pleasantly surprised. I say this because the portion sizes are really good and all the food is made from scratch using proper ingredients. There are however no starter options on the menu, but you don't really need these as the other courses are a really good size.

I ordered the mushroom stroganoff with Dauphinoise potatoes and It was really delicious. I then had the banana split for dessert and that too was delicious but admittedly I had to get my other half to finish it off as was so full from the good portion size from my main. All the rest of the group were also equally as happy and full from their meals. The lady who served us was very nice and friendly, and I believed she was the person who cooked the food too, so big credit to her.

I would certainly say if you haven't been before you should try it, we liked it so much that we have actually booked our Christmas day dinner there for the whole family!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tamisha O
Essex
“why go anywhere else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

The dinning area is very clean and well laid out so tables are not on top of one another. The food was homemade and very tasty and fitted in with one fussy eater in the party.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Simple but good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

There are no dislikes to give. I liked the service and the food and the eating area. I am quite happy too eat there again.

Visited July 2013