“Short break”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Short break”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Enjoyed a short break at the Gatehouse. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was excellent. The staff were polite, helpful and particularly hard working. The location was quiet and peaceful and central for touring the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BWGatehouse, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that you were happy with your stay.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Altrincham
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have waited several days before sharing my experience of this hotel. I decided that rather than write in the heat of the moment I would look back rationally. We are both retired, and following a journey of over 200 miles we arrived to take up our reservation for a deluxe double room. On check in facilitated by a very strident receptionist we were handed our confirmation for room101, she then took the paperwork back and changed the room by hand to 106. She informed us that a honeymoon couple had been offered an extended stay in 101. Because of this we were now allocated 106. On entering the room we found it very small, no bath just a shower, very bijou would be a good description, there was only one comfortable chair, and we were tired. When we went down to express our disappointment, the receptionist became quite unpleasant, and told us that 106 was large compared to some other rooms. It was the agreed that we would relocate to 101 when it became available. I could not have faced a 5 nights stay in 106. We the headed down for dinner. The receptionist acted as waitress. I could get a persecution complex, as I was served the thickest toughest rump steak I have ever encountered, it was replaced and I then enjoyed the course. I found the experience very embarrassing. There was just a party of 5 and us in the dining room. We heard the next morning that it had been the head chefs evening off. For 2 courses for 2 people and a bottle of very vin ordinarie and a coffee the bill was £60. We decided to find alternatives in Ipswich, and were spoilt for choice in the Marina area. The hotel lost £240 revenue from this decision. The receptionist changed every day and you felt that the staff, apart from 2 very pleasant breakfast waitresses, were totally disinterested in the guests. We were told by one of the staff, who said she was married to the head chef, that this hotel comes second to a hotel sister which is a corporate venue. As we were leaving fate decreed that the receptionist who had checked us in was at the desk, she reiterated that 106 was a deluxe room and we had no grounds for complaint. On arriving back home we had a message from the hotel to say they would contact us to discuss our comments. They failed to honour this promise, so we contacted them a day later. The manager? wanted to keep up the pretence that the room was deluxe but quite frankly all we wanted was an admission that our booking had initially not been honoured. She offered us a free night during another stay, but we would not consider using this hotel again. I do feel that this hotel does nothing to promote Ipswich or the county of Suffolk. The staff do not address you by name or show any interest in recommending places to visit. The guests were mainly on their own or on a room only basis, and the dining room averaged 3 diners in the evening. We have travelled extensively and have lived abroad for several years, but this was one of the most unsatisfactory stays at a hotel we have experienced. Maybe I arrived with expectations too high but I feel it is not to much to ask that accommodation that you have paid for matches the description. This hotel would be greatly improved if the staff were on a dedicated basis. Definitely not a hotel with personality.

Room Tip: Make sure your room matches the description of your booking, and do not be intimidated by Reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hester190
BWGatehouse, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
I believe I have already responded to this review.
East Anglia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked to stay at The Gatehouse Hotel after visiting Helmingham Hall Gardens and arrived about 2.30 on a Sunday afternoon. The Hotel is in a very quiet area with little in the way of shops, cafes or restaurants nearby. Easy parking with just a couple of other cars in car park. Unusually for us we were asked to pay for our room as soon as we arrived. Our room (Room 5) was to the immediate left of a creaky door leading into the corridor. I have to say now that this room was nothing like the 'spacious, airy and light standard rooms' advertised on the Booking.com website. This room was small (about 11'x11') with a small window and a dark,windowless bathroom. The words ' swing' and 'cat' sprang to mind. It was really a single room with a double bed squeezed into it and I think misleading to offer this as a Standard Double Room. We could not tolerate spending our time in this dismal little space with a creaking door outside nor was there a Lounge etc to relax in just a small Bar area with three chairs.
We asked for an upgrade which we were willing to pay for, we were told there were no other rooms available so we asked for a refund which the receptionist said she was not authorised to give. She then went off to discuss with the Manager who was in another hotel. She returned to say we could not have our money back, we would just have to write a letter of complaint which would be
'considered'. However after insisting on speaking to the Manager myself we did in fact get our money refunded and left.
The moral of this story is, as suggested by Booking.com who rang us later, to ask to see your room before you pay for it!!!

Room Tip: Room 5 is too small for a double and is next to a squeaky door. Ask about the size of your room As...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crystalpearl
BWGatehouse, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit to the Gatehouse Hotel.
I am sorry you were not satisfied with the room allocated for your stay, this is however an adequate double standard room in our opinion. Unfortunately we were fully booked and so the receptionist would have been unable to offer you an upgrade on this occasion. We do as a hotel policy take payment on arrival for the accommodation. The photos on Booking.com show a selection of rooms, as do all booking sites. This is an old style property, listed building and along with the quirks of this unfortunately come some creaks. The small bar area is also pictured on the site along with the restaurant. We do not advertise a lounge area. I spoke to you myself on that day within a few minutes of your initial conversation with the receptionist and a refund was given. I apologise once again that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

But that is the building which is sort of hidden away from the main road, its a nice old building, free wi fi which is always good. My room was next to a hall door which meant a bit of disturbance night time and early morning but never mind. Bathroom probably needed a refurb but all in all it was fine. Thirty five minute walk into Ipswich which is mostly downhill. I ate dinner here and enjoyed both my black pudding and bacon starter as well as chicken for a main. I didn't eat anything at breakfast but it sounded like it was all freshly cooked, staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
BWGatehouse, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for your review of the Gatehouse, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and will use the feedback you have given to make improvements where necessary.

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having just spent 2 nights at this hotel all I can say to past critics is ,,,,let the future visitors make their own mind up .we have 100%enjoyed our stay at this hotel !the room was clean tidy and ample for our needs for our 2 night stay,,usual stuff tea and coffee facility's ,,power shower was fantastic. I want one for our house lol,staff we found were few but very helpful and accomodating. I NOW DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE FOOD,,my wife and I love our weekends away and have tried many hotels 3/4/5 star,and I have to praise the chef and kitchen staff on the 2nights we had a 3course meal,,, and on both nights we could not find any fault with the food ,, at all,,locally produced meat ,vegetables and diary products .The food I ate over the 2 nights can only be described as superb,excellent and can rival taste and presentation that we've experienced at Wheelers restaurant which is endorsed by Marco Pierre White,,,other people may not praise it as much ,,that is their opinion,, but for me the entire stay was worth every penny and would gladly return to this hotel in the future ,,,,Alan Creasey

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BWGatehouse, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Many thanks for your wonderful comments. I can assure you the team will be thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with the services we offered. I hope you will return in the future and we will very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
pentahotel Ipswich
Best Western Claydon Hotel
Holiday Inn Ipswich
Holiday Inn Ipswich
#11 of 18 in Ipswich

Been to Best Western Gatehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!