“Good friendly hotel”

Best Western Gatehouse Hotel
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 16 February 2009

One night stop for business. Relatively small hotel with free parking. In residental area close to industrial area and main road access into Ipswich. Quick check-in and good welcome. Good evening meal and full breakfast available sensible prices. Single room - OK for size, clean, clean bathroom with shower. Free WIFI included. Would not hesitate staying again when in area

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 August 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one night prior to a cruise which departed from Harwich.

First impressions were of a small, clean and tidy hotel. The lady that checked us in seemed very harassed and spent a lot of time, during check-in and later in the bar, sighing loudly! At first I found this somewhat amusing but after a while I'm afraid it started to get on my nerves.

Anyway our deluxe room was spacious and reasonably well furnished although the bathroom had obviously been modelled on a shoe box. It was tiny. There was only a shower cubicle (no bath) and it transpired that the shower head was only held to the wall of the cubicle by a long-defunct magnet. My wife discovered this when the not insubstantial shower head fell off the wall and hit her on the ankle resulting in a very nasty bruise and a pronounced limp for two days.

Dinner and breakfast were both fine - food was good and service was attentive.

I believe that there are plans to update some of the rooms. Let's hope that they start with the bathrooms!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2008

For the price (£75 p/n including breakfast) I cannot fault this hotel. It is good for both leisure and business stays.

It is in an old building with character, however the rooms are a good size, clean, modern, and well equipped.

The bed was very comfortable and the LCD TV a welcome addition. Also free WiFi internet is available throughout the hotel.

I didn't try the restaurant or bar, but it looked nice enough.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We stayed three nights in a double room on a leisure break.

This hotel looked startlingly small when we arrived. After we'd dragged our wheely cases across the gravel from the car park to the front door (quite exhausting), we were warmly welcomed. Our room, number 1, cost a bit extra but was a very good size and clean and comfortable. Liked the individual, non-clone, feel of the hotel. Very happy with the free wifi (which worked perfectly), flatscreen TV and useful hairdryer. Also pleased to find duvet with white bed linen. However, I must admit that I am sensitive about pillows, using an orthopaedic one at home, and I found the hotel pillows very uncomfortable, so that I got very little sleep the first night. In the (good sized) bathroom, I found both the toilet flush and the shower to have too little pressure, and it was almost impossible to keep the floor dry when showering.

We had one evening meal at the hotel, arriving around nine o'clock after trying unsuccessfully to find somewhere to eat in town. We are vegetarians. The chef was happy to cook us a risotto at short notice, and offered us a choice of styles - wild mushroom, roast vegetable or sun-ripened tomato. It was very nice and well-presented, but too salty, so that my eyes puffed up the next day.

Where this hotel really falls down is with the breakfast. I expect that people who wanted a full English enjoyed theirs very much. However, we are amongst those who can't stomach cooked food first thing. The "Continental" breakfast was miserable. There were croissants and pain-au-chocolat which had been badly burned in an attempt to warm them (I presume) - the same ones appeared two days running. There was no bread, and a poorish selection of cereals. We could ask the waiter for toast - the first day the waiter vanished long before breakfast was over and couldn't be found, so some guests went over to reception to ask for toast! On the Sunday there was not the promised choice of brown or white toast, as the hotel had run out of brown bread! There were small pots of conserves to be eaten with toast. There was also, on day one, a bowl of BabyBel cheese. On days two and three this was supplemented by sliced cheese and ham - both in uncovered bowls, and with a number (I'm not exaggerating here) of large flies walking about on them. The flies were also keen on the uncovered sliced melon. Day two's fly-blown cheese was wheeled out again for day three. The flies were large and easily seen, and quite revolting. None of the food was covered, and there was no fly-lamp (or whatever they're called) in the dining room. It was unacceptable. So, if you don't want the cooked breakfast, I suggest you bring your own bread and cheese!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2008

quiet with very good food, only bad bit was disorganised breakfast staff

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2008

First visit to the area. We stayed in family room #115. Reasonably priced considering our American dollar is so weak.
Louise at the front desk/reception made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped in the hotel. We enjoyed good service and food in the dining area. Our bedroom was clean and comfortable. Our bathroom had hairdryer, soap, shampoo and warm towels. Plenty of parking in the back area for our rental car. (recommend Enterprise)
As a matter of fact, if traveling back to Ipswich, we would not hesitate to stay at the Gatehouse again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2007

I chose the Gathouse hotel for a business trip as it offered free wifi access.

Both of the rooms that I have stayed in have been oversized, clean and comfortable. The first room that I was given had disabled access and I have to say it was not a patch on the room 2 upstairs which was very nice.

The hotel is full of period features which add a bit of character, The public areas of the hotel are very nicely finished. I've only used the restaurant for breakfast which was excellent.

Staff are all very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business