“Shabby”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
UK
“Shabby”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights. Easy to find just off the A14 and in a convenient location as there are many places to eat locally and easy to get to town, if you avoid the rush hours when the road around can become gridlocked, especially as the Suffolk show was on around the corner.

There is a large car park with plenty of room. The first impressions were of great concern. Most, if not all of the windows frames are rotten through. The two bay windows, which are the bar and dinning room are particularly badly affected and will need to be replaced soon as I would expect them not to see out a harsh winter such is their state.

Once in side it is better, structurally speaking, but the house keeping lets it down. The light coloured chairs in the bar area are heavily stained. I would expect that all of them, dark ones too, are the same but of course you can’t see the staining on them.

The room we had was alright on the whole. There was a missing light shade on one of the lights, the skirting boards were dirty and the net curtain had not seen the inside of a washing machine for months. The quality of the beds left a lot to be desired. Ours was a double and must have been a sprung one as when you got on it you could hear them moving around but most disconcerting was they were clearly on their last legs as it was more like sleeping on a water bed. Clearly the sleep quality was affected by this and we noticed quite a bit of road noise although we were on the side away from the A14, maybe as the windows are part rotten and single glazed that didn’t help. The sofa bed was OK, for a kid but not one you would want to have to sleep in for many nights.

Like a lot of rooms the decoration is based on durability rather than style and the red, gold and green curtains and carpet were a bit too much.

Breakfast was OK but at £13.50 expensive for what it was. There was a small amount but wide selection on the cold buffet, not that this was an issue but showed that there was consideration with management of the kitchen. Hot breakfast could be ordered too and was OK. Most of the staff were fine and helpful as they could be, especially on reception and in the dinning room.

I suppose the defects in the room I could have mentioned to them but why, as a paying guest, should I have to point them out when they are glaring and should be addressed by what I would expect a routine inspection should pick up on.

On summary it is fair to say it appears to be a tired hotel that has not had any real investment for years and does need some sooner rather than later.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Spout
Hiren V V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Spout, thank you very much for your review and comprehensive feedback.

We are sorry that you rated us only 3/5 and can only apologies if we didn't come up to the standard during your stay.

We do appreciate your comments and feedback. I am particularly disappointed by feedback on the bedroom and will certainly have a word with our housekeeping team.

I do hope you might come back and give us another chance soon.

Kind Regards,
Hiren Varvadekar
Interim General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
North Hykeham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stay one night with my wife as part of a coach party booking.
The room we were given was clean and tidy but the enamel on the bath was badly cracked or missing in places.
The evening meal we had was very disappointing, the starters hadn't been plated up properly and didn't have much taste to them, it didn't matter which main course you had because they were all completely over cooked and dry.
Breakfast time we spend ages waiting for the cooked breakfast, told that we had to pre-order fried eggs even though it doesn't say so on the menu, the excuse for the delay was that they didn't expect that many people to eat at the same time!
The outside of the hotel looks terrible most of the window frames have paint flaking from them and a lot are completely rotten.
The saving grace for the hotel is the very friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Curlytops2014
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Curly tops,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
I am really pleased that you found during your stay that our staff to be friendly as this is something we really pride ourselves on. I will pass your kind words to the team. I am of course disappointed you did not find the food to your expectation and have discussed this at length with our Head Chef, however we did receive many compliments from your fellow guests who said that they enjoyed the food.
In terms of the exterior of the building we are due a refurbishment of the windows soon and this will address the areas you have highlighted.

Many thanks again for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Jason Stringer
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This Holiday Inn , on the outskirts of Ipswich , is what I think of as "old school" Holiday Inn.
I do not mean that in a bad way but rather that it i a little dated overall but much has been done to update some of the internal facilities.
Re the location, this hotel is about 15/20 minutes form Ipswich town centre/ railway station, that's about £15 in a cab.The location is perfect for the various business parks such a BT Adastral Park but the traffic in the surrounding area can really build up at the usual peak times, so if you have a train to catch or business appointment, allow plenty of time in those periods.
The Hotel itself is quite basic but has all the essential trimmings for a short business stay, my room was clean and quiet and quite adequate for my needs.
The food that I sampled,in the bar area, was pretty good and well priced for a bar menu.
although to call the Special " Chinese" was perhaps pushing it a little!
I would point out that ALL the staff were very friendly and helpful, which is not always the case when staying at this chain!
I would go back for my next trip.

Room Tip: I was in room 18 on the ground floor which I think would be very good for anyone who needed easy acc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear macf0x,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are always very grateful for our guest’s feedback and are particularly pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit in the area.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Anyone who has been local to Ipswich in their time will remember this as the Marriott. The building is really lively and now that Ravenswood has seen major development, there are a plethora of places to eat nearby. The Orwell country park nearby gives fab views of the Suffolk countryside. If you do get bored of the area, Ipswich town centre is 15 mins away.

The staff at this hotel are fantastic and the rooms felt luxurious. The bed was the best though. It was wonderful. So comfortable. All I all an excellent place to put your head down.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Rebecca M
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

last nights michael buble tribute night was great value and good fun, 3 course meal and entertainment for under 30 quid! Scott and his staff were first class and every thing turned up on time and at the right temperature. Good quality food and plenty of it . Highly recommeneded.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As a Trainer for a 'Blue Chip' 'Global Company it was the first time we used this hotel for a 3 day Corporate Event. I have used various hotels in the UK for our events and generally Holiday Inns are very good for Business needs.

I always make sure that the staff at the hotel where I am training at are aware that the conference room is to remain secure at all times when not occupied and under no circumstances is the room to be left unlocked because of equipment and document confidentiality. When I arrived on the 3rd day, not only was the room left unsecure but the door was wedged wide open for anyone to help themselves!

10 delegates had been booked. However, due to unforeseen circumstances only 3 arrived. I immediately notified the staff to reduce the numbers for refreshments and lunch and requested the final bill would be amended accordingly. This was confirmed by the young lad who was on duty that day.

Over the 3 days I had to constantly chase reception for refreshments that hadn't arrived. Lunch arrived 40 mins early. The young lad suggested that as there was only 4 of us that perhaps we would like to join another company for lunch to save the chef from making 2 working lunches!!.

The Conference room was dirty and shabby - not a good image for our Company and not one that we would like to promote. The layout of the room each morning was poor compared to other Holiday Inns

On checking the bill it wasn't amended as promise. The 2 receptionists on duty discussed the matter and agreed to write on both copies that the bill needed to be amended.

Our Admin team have told me that the Manager has absolutely REFUSED to reduce to the bill.

We certainly will not be using this Hotel again and it is a shame that the Manager has lost a valuable client for repeat business.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank faith o
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Faith,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel.
I am disappointed to read your comments as I looked after your conference personally on one of your days and you were very complimentary about lunch and the food served at break times as were your delegates. I would have appreciated the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you when you were in the hotel as I was around throughout your conference.
I have discussed the points you raised thoroughly and I will send you a private message to research further some of the issues you mentioned.

Thank you again for reviewing our Hotel.

Yours sincerely

Jason Stringer

Travellers are raving about these Ipswich hotels

UK
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night ahead of delivering a corporate event.

The hotel itself is quite tired looking in some places, and this is especially true of the bedroom I was allocated. Room 11. Corrosion on the bathroom sink taps, a wardrobe with a door handle missing and towels that had seen much better days.

The quality of service from staff was excellent throughout. Special mention to receptionist Naomi, Events Manager Scott and Laura who works in the bar/restaurant who individually absolutely first class, genuinely welcoming and helpful and brought a personal touch to hospitality. The quality of service would be a five star if measured on its own.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear 2912Uk ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Holiday Inn Ipswich
#3 of 18 in Ipswich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Travelodge Ipswich Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell? Share your experiences!