We stayed here for three nights. Easy to find just off the A14 and in a convenient location as there are many places to eat locally and easy to get to town, if you avoid the rush hours when the road around can become gridlocked, especially as the Suffolk show was on around the corner.
There is a large car park with plenty of room. The first impressions were of great concern. Most, if not all of the windows frames are rotten through. The two bay windows, which are the bar and dinning room are particularly badly affected and will need to be replaced soon as I would expect them not to see out a harsh winter such is their state.
Once in side it is better, structurally speaking, but the house keeping lets it down. The light coloured chairs in the bar area are heavily stained. I would expect that all of them, dark ones too, are the same but of course you can’t see the staining on them.
The room we had was alright on the whole. There was a missing light shade on one of the lights, the skirting boards were dirty and the net curtain had not seen the inside of a washing machine for months. The quality of the beds left a lot to be desired. Ours was a double and must have been a sprung one as when you got on it you could hear them moving around but most disconcerting was they were clearly on their last legs as it was more like sleeping on a water bed. Clearly the sleep quality was affected by this and we noticed quite a bit of road noise although we were on the side away from the A14, maybe as the windows are part rotten and single glazed that didn’t help. The sofa bed was OK, for a kid but not one you would want to have to sleep in for many nights.
Like a lot of rooms the decoration is based on durability rather than style and the red, gold and green curtains and carpet were a bit too much.
Breakfast was OK but at £13.50 expensive for what it was. There was a small amount but wide selection on the cold buffet, not that this was an issue but showed that there was consideration with management of the kitchen. Hot breakfast could be ordered too and was OK. Most of the staff were fine and helpful as they could be, especially on reception and in the dinning room.
I suppose the defects in the room I could have mentioned to them but why, as a paying guest, should I have to point them out when they are glaring and should be addressed by what I would expect a routine inspection should pick up on.
On summary it is fair to say it appears to be a tired hotel that has not had any real investment for years and does need some sooner rather than later.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell Hotel is ideally located at Junction 57 on the A14, only 10 minutes from Ipswich Town Centre, 15 minutes from the Suffolk Coast and 5 minutes from Trinity Park the home of the Suffolk Show.The Hotel boasts extensive free car parking and a selection of Queen Double and King Double/Twin Bedrooms some with sofa beds for families. A further 6 Executive Rooms are the ideal business choice with mini bars and laptops safes, in addition 2 open plan Suites add the final touch of luxury for those special occasions.The Hotel offers a range of dining experiences, The Priory Restaurant, Bar and Lounge offer informal modern dining with a large choice of food and drink options complimented with daily specials to suit the needs of both the Corporate and Leisure Guest. The Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell Hotel has a range of conference and banqueting rooms, with Wi-Fi access available in these and also the public areas, whilst wired access is available in all bedrooms.The Hotel offers an onsite Gym and within walking distance, a state of the art Full Leisure Complex is available to guests at a small nominal charge.The Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell Hotel, close enough to access the business districts and Adastral Park, whilst still being the ideal base to enjoy the rest of East Anglia and all that it can offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell Hotel Ipswich
- Ipswich Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell Suffolk