“Great location”

and 1 more site!
Shipwrights Arms Hotel
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is a fantastic base in a great location. In a quite area, have a drink in the hotel bar, and then a few mins walk to the action that Ipswich has to offer. The rooms in the hotel are adequate. You get what you pay for. It's just somewhere to lay your head for a reasonable amount of money, and get out and enjoy the delights of Suffolk.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jpetty190757

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel claims to offer Sunday lunches and breakfast. This is a blatant lie. When I arrived in a Sunday, I asked if they did food and was told no and that I had to go into town. Breakfast is also not available. This is contrary to what they claim on booking.com.

Although the rooms were clean, they are very noisy. However, thankfully, this wasn't an issue on the night I stayed there.

Room Tip: Don't have room 7 (it's directly above the bar).
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business and after reading some of the reviews we really didnt know what to expect!! So glad we stayed we had a good nights sleep and the female bar staff was very helpful her name is Theresa and next time me and my husband stay we hope to see to her again. Thank you Theresa for making our stay enjoyable.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TJBom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Arrived for an overnight stay on the 29th October. Due to a mix up over the booking was placed in a dirty room. No hangers in the wardrobe and not even a chair to put a jacket on. Full up waste bin (beer cans), no towels, shower/ toilet dirty as the sink had ground in dirt and there was a little present left in the toilet. The only staff on duty was the barman who couldn't have been less helpful if he tried.
Spoke to the manager the following morning who really gave the impression that he wasn't concerned and offered no form of compensation.
The worst hotel I've stayed in by far.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else - anywhere
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Dennis P
Reviewed 15 August 2013

After reading the reviews already left on here I'm not sure I stayed at the same place. I arrived around 4:30 after being told that no one would be about until after 4 o'clock. The welcome that you got in the bar was very good, the woman who was serving made you feel very welcome, and the locals happily chatted to you.

I was shown up to the room which was accessed from the door next door, which I thought I had everything that was needed. The bed was comfortable, it had a good sized bathroom and even a balcony. When I got settled in then things went quite as great as they first appeared. The balcony had double doors leading to it and was unlocked at the time. The keys I had to the room did not fit the balcony door, so it was left unlocked for the duration of my stay . It had a TV with a sky box underneath it, although when you turn this on is said that no satellite signal was being received. This wasn't a massive issue in my case, would definitely affect some people.

Strangest thing was that the signs outside state hotel and restaurant but when I asked the woman who checked me in what time it started serving food, she said that they weren't currently able to serve food and recommended some take ways that were nearby. As such I had a bit of a walk into Ipswich town centre which was about a 15 minute walk away.

I presumed that as they were unable to cook evening meals, they would not be cooking breakfast either. The doors to the pub was shut at 830 the morning when I left so I just left my key in the room and hopes for the best.

Could have been so much better, but then again I've stayed in a lot worse.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I booked on line at 55 pounds, and added 10 pounds for breakfast for 2.

Arrived at 3pm. All the doors were locked. Telephoned, but the phone wasn't answered. Finally sent an email and left. One hour later received a phone call "I was in but upstairs".

Rooms are nice enough, though the fridge was hidden in a cupboard and I had to move it out and plug it in. No soap or shampoo in bathroom - I had to go out and get some.

Next morning it was like the Marie Celeste. No sign of any staff even after repeated shouting. Telephone was off.

I sent an email requesting refund of the price of breakfast.

I believe the owners changed recently. These new ones need to buck their ideas up

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Hkmike123
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Had a really good stay at this Hotel, The place is really clean fantastic bar and the locals make you really welcome. Will defo stop again when in the area. The room price is very very good.. I have. The boss man let me eat breakfast at the other hotel due to card machine not working but was really good,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo