“Think again !”
Review of Trongs

Trongs
Ranked #6 of 455 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It was noisy, pricey for what you get and false friendliness. Cramped spaces, causing staff passing HOT food across, very closely, the of back people (without staff asking or apologising) which meant customers had to lean forward, back and sideways to accommodate the interruptions.
If you are an odd one out of a group (say the fifth person) there is not a one person meal choice for you, only two people choices.
Some fluid was stilt by a staff member near our table and it splashed all over my new shoes and dress but again no apologies was given. The chopping and slicing was carried out on a dirty trolley very close to our table and utensils were scrapped and screeched on plates which made it unbearable, not just for a moment but for long periods. All people on our table were left extremely thirsty which means they use a lot of additives to enhance the flavor, which I might add, that this additive has been banned in some countries. The average price for the meal was £35+ per person.
Would not recommend.

6  Thank SAnnMo

Reviewed 12 June 2014

A group of seven of us visited Trongs yesterday and we all thoroughly enjoyed the meal, and as with previous visits the meal was excellent from start to finish. We had four courses, every dish was excellent and full of flavour, the special fried rice was fluffy and light, and the service was very attentive and polite. Where Trongs beat other restaurants is in the details, the duck was well chopped and didn't have hard, crunchy bits as cheaper duck often does, the hoi sin was thick and not watered down, we had a set meal and they added two additional dishes to the menu list giving us more choice, we had the table for as long as we wanted it and were not rushed out to make way for another sitting, there was plenty of food for seven on every dish, and although the desert was the obligatory banana and apple fritters with ice cream it had 5-star presentation. The restaurant was full, even on a Wednesday, and there were no leftovers to any dish. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

By far the nicest Chinese meal I have ever had! The service, food and atmosphere is perfect and I would recommend this restaurant to anybody.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We travelled quite a way to Ipswich to go out for a staff meal after a very busy bank holiday. We arrived at Aqua Eight at quarter to 9 and the chef couldn't be bothered to cook for us, even though we arrived well before closing. So we went to Trongs, and we were so glad we did! Two of us had the chefs special set menu and two had menu F. There was so much good, quality food. Staff were very attentive, kept topping up our wine for us, checking everything was ok for us. We were at the restaurant until about quarter to 11 but didn't feel rushed at all and was still offered deserts (which really tasty). The only Criticism I have is that I was quite cold where i sat- I was sat right next to the window and the draft was so cold that I had to put my jacket on. But overall, 5 out of 5. Great restaurant, lovely food, attentive staff, good value for money. In the end we were glad Aqua Eight were so rude to us! We will definitely come back.

2  Thank Cbanne
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The restaurant atmosphere and staff were perfect; although, unfortunately, my food was a disappointment, my dining partner really enjoyed his lamb dish.
Disappointment because the spring rolls (my addiction) were well filled - unlike some flimsy ones I'm often presented with - but packed with just carrot and cabbage - not a mushroom or other tasty ingredient in sight. And the plain noodles were just that - at the most, three lone bean sprouts were lurking in the pile of noodles. And the flavour was, to be generous with an adjective, plain. And, to labour the 'in additions', the soy sauce I requested to up-the-taste ante, was the nastiest I have ever dipped into; it was so bitter that I asked the waiter if he had brought me dark soy by mistake. I've given it a 3 star as my dining partner really enjoyed his meal; had I been dining alone, this would have been a 1 'terrible' - but as the wine was decent too, the 3 rating remains!! Pity, as I was really looking forward to that particular meal.