“the best cantonese restaurant in the region, bar none!”
Review of Trongs

Trongs
Ranked #7 of 456 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I used to eat at this restaurant before it became Trongs, it was then called Kwok's Rendezvous, it was excellent then and so I was worried that it could never be quite so good. I was wrong. One of your previous reviewers writes that he started going 10 years ago when it opened - well, it's nearer 20 years than 10 and what I can tell you is that it must be good for me and my family to drive from north of Norwich to Ipswich when we want to eat a good Chinese meal. I travel frequently in Asia and eat Chinese food across the region and whilst the menu has not changed I question whether it needs to. It is extensive, the food is fresh and beautifully prepared with the fragrancy showing through - a sign of freshness is oriental food. The service is second to none. Wonderful food, great wine list, superb ambience and fabulous service. In a world where we are so obsessed in change for change sake, remember the old adage, also a 'truism' - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Bravo Trongs from someone who knows their Chinese food. All friends and family invited have said the same, it's the best they've eaten. Your family should be extremely proud of what they have achieved. 10/10!

Reviewed 21 October 2010

I've been fortunate enough to have eaten at Trong's since the late nineties but hadn't been for a couple of years. I was lucky enough to eat there twice in the last three weeks - partly due to the reputation Trong's has in one of our overseas offices and the subsequent desire our visitor from that office had to go there. It reminded me what I'd been missing and again highlighted what an excellent restaurant this is. Fu was the perfect host on both occasions and was spot on with his menu selections each time - if you give him a couple of pointers he'll put it together for you, giving you appropriately varied, delcious dishes. Our visitor was VERY impressed, as were we!! :-)

Reviewed 31 August 2010

15 years ago...the best Chinese I had encountered. Yet the unchanging menu and "sitting on one's laurels" has left Ipswich looking for another winner....and oh....local takeways do simple things like fried rice (yes, it's meant to be brown) and won tons (yes, they are meant to have meat at the bottom) better

Still a good place...just a bit complacent...ya man has the nice car and is full every weekend...why change eh?

Reviewed 27 March 2010

A first class Chinese restaurant. Comfortable, nicely decorated, good food and excellent service. We'll be back.

Reviewed 16 September 2009

I first visited Trongs in their opening week over ten years ago, and have been hooked ever since.

I spend alot of time working outside of the country, but whenever I'm in the UK I visit, both with family and with business partners.

In fact, I always make a special trip home for Chinese New Year just to take part in their wonderful celebration, complete with Lion Dance and fire crackers!

The food and service in this family-run restaurant are absolutely spot-on, but make sure you book well in advance if you want a table - it's as popular now as it ever was!